Our sister sites
Our sister sites
linlin
New Member!
Female 

02-04-2009, 02:31 PM

Neutering

Hi,

My Collie X Lab has just reached 7 months. He is in perfect health, active and well excercised. From day one we said we'd get him neutered and recently the vet said we could have him done at any time now. A freind has since told me that if i get him done before a year old, this can affect the growth plates and eventually lead to health problems which i would hate to happen.

The only problem is that he is 'humping' everything and everyone he can get his paws round! It's worse first thing in the morning, he isn't too bad at night time.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
lin
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 02:39 PM
Hi - have a search on Dogsey for "neuter" or "castration" threads, that kind of thing - there have been quite a lot. In the meantime, here is a recent one:

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...ghlight=neuter
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-04-2009, 02:39 PM
I totally agree with your friend, though with a larger dog I would try and leave it even longer if you can.
As to the humping, I'm afraid it just comes naturally to some, he is probably better in the evenings as he is more tired.
I can't make any suggestions on this I'm afraid, I've always had bitches until this one and he was castrated when he came as a rescue dog
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 02:40 PM
It depends really. You have to bear in mind that neutering may not stop the humping behaviour, but if it's a recent thing neutering may break the habit before it becomes a learned behaviour. As far as I know the thing with the growth plates just makes them grow a bit taller (on average), I'm not sure on the health implications of that so I'll leave it to someone else
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 02:46 PM
It depends entirely on his development as to whether or not he is OK to have it done. Your vet will be able to confirm this for you.

We're having our 7 month old Springer castrated on Monday because he's only 1kgs off normal weight and is an early developer so it's fine.

He is also scent marking, humping and generally being a bit of a boy! There are no guarantees it will stop, but it should help calm him down at least.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 03:42 PM
It is ultimately down to personal choice.

There is no guarantee that neutering will stop any 'male' behaviours. At the end of the day those male behaviours are also essentially natural behaviours. They are, after all, boys...and such behaviour can be controlled with training and teaching a dog boundaries and manners. Neutering will effect the growth plates and will also make many behaviours worse in the first 3 months or so after castration as the dog will have hormone surges...this can also excacerbate any nervous or wary behaviours.

I have seen neutering 'calm' some dogs behaviour down...they will urinate less for example, but in all honesty, only if it is done alongside a very good training regime.

Neutering is not a cure all...but it can help. Ultimately it is down to personal choice. I used to be very pro neutering...but as you have probably gathered, I am not anymore.
It is entirely down to you though. Have a chat with your vet and do lots of reading and research. God luck with whatever you decide.
linlin
New Member!
Female 

02-04-2009, 04:09 PM
I should also mention that he has been wandering a lot recently. I was on the beach with him the other day and he ran after another dog who was a good 150 metres away and accross a (thankfully) quiet road. He was always so focused and obedient before and now his hormones seemed to have got the better of him. I always used to think that since he'll never get to have his way with the ladies then i should have him done to prevent him becoming frustrated but i'm not sure if i'm in that school of thought anymore.

?
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 04:11 PM
I repeat, if the vet feels he has developed enough to do it then do it.

Every dog is different and the 9 month to 1 year is a guideline. So I've been told.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 05:11 PM
I have had entire males and I have to say they have never, to date, shown any sign of being 'frustrated.'

Have a good chat with your vet, perhaps you could wait until your dog is slightly older if you are concerned about growth plate, coat etc?
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I have had entire males and I have to say they have never, to date, shown any sign of being 'frustrated.'

Have a good chat with your vet, perhaps you could wait until your dog is slightly older if you are concerned about growth plate, coat etc?
Loki is 4 1/2 now but has never show signs of being frustrated.
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »