Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I have no problem whatsoever with responsible owners of intact dogs. But they seem to be the minority over here. Just this morning I had to cut my walk short because an intact Lab bolted across the HUGE field to reach us and started humping my dog persistently. The owner (who was a speck in the distant) was just wailing the dogs name and made no effort to come and collect the dog as mine was getting more distressed. In the end I had to use my lead on this dog and drag it back to its owner.

This is a frequent occurrence for us with intact dogs.
I totally agree with you that is a an absolute pain in the backside. Cosmo has been humped by similar dogs, despite still being entire (he isn't very macho though,possibly thanks to his furry plums being more like furry cherries, bless him!)
I do agree that SOME dogs that are entire are pains...thanks to poor owners.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 04:11 PM
I would only have a boy 'done' if he was a pain. My old boy years ago wasn't done until he was about 2. He'd never shown any signs which said that he needed it. Until a neighbours dog came in season and it kind of woke things up Peeing around the house, humping cushions and all sorts. We waited til the neighbours girl's season finished, thinking he would go back to normal but he didn't, so had him castrated. This was the old fashioned method, not laser and he was fine within a few hours of being home. No problem at all.

Bailey hasn't been 'done' as thought I may use him at stud but he is a big pain. When the girls are in season, he pees and gets beside himself, crying and not eating but he is in a house with several unspayed bitches. He's bound to get hormonal and all sorts. Have decided that I will get him 'done' but he's only just one, so I'll give him another six months and then see the Vet (don't tell him though - he likes being the big man with his little harem)
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Interesting topic and something that has been on our minds lately too.

We have always said we would never have Monty neutered before the age of 18 months as he'll be done growing by then. We have also always said he will only be done if he needs to be done - i.e to calm him down a bit or stop him humping.

Having read this post I now feel like I will definitely have him done as we live on a residential road and I couldn't live with it if he got out to go after a bitch on heat and got hit by a car.

Will be discussing with my vet though in a few weeks when we go for a check up.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Interesting topic and something that has been on our minds lately too.

We have always said we would never have Monty neutered before the age of 18 months as he'll be done growing by then. We have also always said he will only be done if he needs to be done - i.e to calm him down a bit or stop him humping.

Having read this post I now feel like I will definitely have him done as we live on a residential road and I couldn't live with it if he got out to go after a bitch on heat and got hit by a car.

Will be discussing with my vet though in a few weeks when we go for a check up.
Has he ever tried to do that though? How old is he now? Are there a lot of bitches in your area that aren't speyed? Has he ever shown any interest?

Cosmo had his sister all over him a couple of months ago, she was at the end of her season (and they were both onlead)...she would not leave him alone...he ran a mile!!!! He ain't macho my boy....
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-03-2009, 05:11 PM
My Kali retained his "bits" until quite recently (and he's 15 on 24/4/09): he had a couple of cysts on his butt, which were hormone-driven (acc. to vet), so he had to lose his nuts

We did try to mate him once, when he was about 6, but he didn't know what to do ( ) and got chased away by the bitch

Anyway' he's "done" now, and showing no ill effects.

Thorgeir, on the other hand, has one undescended testicle, and may have to lose both, poor little b*gg*r.

Snorri
Netpon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-03-2009, 05:24 PM
I personally would only castrate if there was a behavioural or medical reason for it. I totally agree with speying bitches as there are more serious diseases that can be prevented by speying, whereas in boys it only really prevents testicular tumours which don't tend to cause major problems anyway and prostate problems both of which can be dealt with as and when they occur by castrating.

I you do decide to go ahead then yes I believe it is best to wait till he is fully grown. This varies from breed to breed so I couldn't say what age that is in Springers, with rotts (my breed) they don't stop maturing till about 3 yrs but I would imagine the age is lower in Springers due to their size.

Well done for leaving the stud thing up to the professionals, there is a lot more to it than people think.

As for lasering... I've never heard of it
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Has he ever tried to do that though? How old is he now? Are there a lot of bitches in your area that aren't speyed? Has he ever shown any interest?

Cosmo had his sister all over him a couple of months ago, she was at the end of her season (and they were both onlead)...she would not leave him alone...he ran a mile!!!! He ain't macho my boy....
He's 5 months old, never humps me but trys to hump Rich an a regular basis. Known dogs in our area include:

Next door left - 4 jack Russells, not sure what sex but most likely all done.
Next door right - a large White Alsatian type dog and a cross breed but never seen them leave the house (don't get me started on that)
Two doors down - male choc lab and female collie dog
Opposite - female black lab, just had one litter, always gets out.
Three doors down - bassett hound, unsure of sex.

There are probably loads more down the road as well. We don't plan on living here for more than 5 years but a lot can change in that time.

He's not showing interest in other dogs that way yet and has never run off. He is made to sit and wait before the door is opened so we are careful about him getting out.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 05:35 PM
whereas in boys it only really prevents testicular tumours which don't tend to cause major problems anyway and prostate problems both of which can be dealt with as and when they occur by castrating.
And what about the behavioural benefits? I didn't castrate my dog for heath benefits. I castrated him because I was fed up with the marking, constant sniffing, humping and scenting for bitches. Also, we have met plenty of people with bitches in season off leads and I didn't want my dog partly responsible for fathering more unwanted puppies.

While there is no doubt that some strict training could reduce the intensity of these behavioural problems, that is often easier said than done with a young, hormonally charged dog.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 05:36 PM
He's 5 months old, never humps me but trys to hump Rich an a regular basis. Known dogs in our area include:

Next door right - a large White Alsatian type dog and a cross breed but never seen them leave the house (don't get me started on that)

There are probably loads more down the road as well. We don't plan on living here for more than 5 years but a lot can change in that time.

He's not showing interest in other dogs that way yet and has never run off. He is made to sit and wait before the door is opened so we are careful about him getting out.
He is still young, so those hormones may not fully kick in for a couple of months. I would review how he is behaviour-wise in another 6 months or so.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post

If you are very careful then there shouldn't be a proble,m, but I can see why you are concerned with entire bitches around...
We always shut the dogs in another room if someone we (know) is at the door so they don't get out...and they don't leave the house without a lead on, but accidents can and do happen.
Ultimately all you can do is make a decision based upon you, your dog and your circumstances. Read a lot...talk a lot and make a decision based on that. You have plenty of time.
And what about the behavioural benefits? I didn't castrate my dog for heath benefits. I castrated him because I was fed up with the marking, constant sniffing, humping and scenting for bitches. Also, we have met plenty of people with bitches in season off leads and I didn't want my dog partly responsible for fathering more unwanted puppies.

While there is no doubt that some strict training could reduce the intensity of these behavioural problems, that is often easier said than done with a young, hormonally charged dog.
Yes, castration can help with some behaviour problems, but not without training, it can actually make some behaviours worse.
He is still young, so those hormones may not fully kick in for a couple of months. I would review how he is behaviour-wise in another 6 months or so.
Totally agree.
Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »