Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2009, 10:14 AM

Help!!!!!!!!!!

Okay has anyone every tried cutting back a sundance "Choysia" the yellow one.....mine is now about 5&12/' high and 5' round maybe more I think it is taking over I need to reign it in or it goes....the garden is not that big

So has anyone cut one back and f so when I would have though March sort of time.

May just do it anyhow as if it comes back fine if I can't do it it goes.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2009, 11:08 AM
In my new house there is an overgrown garden, and weaved in between the choisya's leaves were a big ivy and some brambles - all so thick we took a chainsaw to the lot.
The choisya has a few main stems now about 3 inches from the ground. If you want to wait see if mine sprouts I'll be able to report if such drastic action resulted in death or not
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2009, 11:19 AM
@ Pats reply!

Pretty hardy shrub and can be cut back to ground level

Just watch out for frosts though
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-01-2009, 12:29 PM
I've got one in my front garden and it gets cut back every spring. It does recover but can be a bit slow, so I tend to be a bit selective about how much I cut back as I really don't like it being too bare or leggy. I have previously cut one back to virtually ground level and it took best part of a year to recover from the shock
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Oh a year is nothing from my perspective as if I do not cut it back I will dig it out....so its chnace is there.... think I will go back about half all round and height wise then see what happens and maybe the same next year....will try in March/April when its starting to grow....I'll take cuttings too..........as backup.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Thank you all for the replies much appreciated.