View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2011, 07:56 AM
When I had Guinness's tags engraved (before we collected him), I had our contact details put on one side and on the other that he is microchipped, tattooed and neutered just in case. I wanted any prospective thief to know he's traceable and no use for breeding.

However, now I've lived with him for a while, I don't worry so much about him being stolen. He is still terrified of everybody he doesn't know and he would go utterly berserk if someone snatched his lead and tried to take him away. Due to his size and weight and the fact he'd be struggling like mad, it would be pretty hard for someone to pick him up and bundle him into a van or something. (When we collected him, his foster mum had to coax him into our car with us standing well back, because there was no way in hell he would have got in it for either of us at that point).

Dog theft would definately be a concern if I had a smaller, friendlier to strangers dog though.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 07:59 AM
I would never leave Teg outside a shop on his own or in the garden so don't worry about that, he gets quite a lot of attention from his colour, generally doesn't go up to people without me saying it's ok but if I don't like the look of someone I make him walk to heal and say "sorry, he's in training" and march off quick.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 08:02 AM
I worry about Keiko and don't like to walk her without Rio if I can help it. Nobody would steal Rio or Dan because they wouldn't allow a stranger to touch them. Keiko gets a lot of attention but I don't allow people to stroke her if I don't like the look of them. Only fellow doggy people may give her a fuss! I worry about Rogue too because she's so friendly. Her tag says she's spayed so hopefully she won't be pinched for breeding.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 08:56 AM
Well I have had a dog stolen, she was taken as part of a burglary.

I believe they were initially after my van which was later used in a ram raid.

So she was in a house in what is considered a nice area, All windows and doors locked with 5 point dead bolts.

Three adult Staffords, 3 5 month Stafford and an 8 week Welsh terrier.

Along with the usual items like lap tops and jewelry they took the 5 month old Stafford.

Millie my profile picture got a good kicking and they locked her in the conservatory on a hot day in June.

So yes I am paranoid, but you have to keep it in perspective and not let it ruin your enjoyment because you can only do what you can do.
I could not have prevented my dog from being stolen but they did not reckon on my perseverance and I got her back 2 months later.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 09:02 AM
They'd soon bring them back (that's what my Mum said when I asked her what she'd do if I ever got kidnapped)

Joking aside, Benjie - not a people person unless he knows them, Louie - wary of strangers, I have to tell him he's OK they're nice people (if I know them) Sadie would be the problem to take away, but she'd struggle out of her collar - she hates being away from me.

My local shop has a security camera on the leash holder outside - so if you do need to nip in and have your dog, you can always watch or if they aren't serving anyone, ask them just to keep an eye on the camera - I did when there was a group of lads across the road - although I think I was more bothered about my bike than Sadie however thinking back there was a man (on cam) who was fussing her longer than normal folk fuss dogs.. but I haven't had anyone try to nick her or anything..

Louie looks like a lab so there is a possibility of somene mistaking him for a lab.. until they see the white mark - not everyone knows about mismarks so he's going to be a mutt then..

Benjie - looks like a sheep gone wrong - so no one can mistake him for anything..
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 09:16 AM
I don't worry about the dogs being stolen from my property - it is very rural and the two GSDs wouldn't let anyone they didn't know come in the garden, let alone get hold of them.

I also don't put them in situations where someone could take them - ie tied up outside shops etc.

So, as a general rule, no I don't worry about it.
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
well how dare you...............
I think Ted is a little big to pick up too
He's been called far worse

Although going by the other thread i think i need to change my reply
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Yes I do worry, because:

1 - several young dogs have been stolen from their own gardens in my local area of nw London

2 - people are always telling me how stunning Dexter is and that he looks like a 'thoroughbred' (he's a rescue, so have no idea what his breeding was and don't care)

3 - Dexter loves people and will go over to anyone who pays him any attention!

That's why when we go to the park I do not let him out of my sight, as I do worry that someone could, heaven forfend, quickly clip a lead to his collar and walk off with him. If they held food out he might follow them

KAMMI - fab idea, to crouch down when anyone else does to touch your dog. Think I will adopt this idea of yours now that the OP mentions her friend's dog got stolen so quickly.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post

KAMMI - fab idea, to crouch down when anyone else does to touch your dog. Think I will adopt this idea of yours now that the OP mentions her friend's dog got stolen so quickly.
Thanks

It does just look like you are chatting to them and that's why you have "followed" them by crouching,

Just behind the ears is a good place to stroke them, as you are close to the collar!

Or if the dog moves, hold the collar and say "no stay still a sec" - so just looks like you are holding them steady for the person

(Yes maybe I am paranoid, but it makes me feel better doing it )
tilskie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
Well I have had a dog stolen, she was taken as part of a burglary.

I believe they were initially after my van which was later used in a ram raid.

So she was in a house in what is considered a nice area, All windows and doors locked with 5 point dead bolts.

Three adult Staffords, 3 5 month Stafford and an 8 week Welsh terrier.

Along with the usual items like lap tops and jewelry they took the 5 month old Stafford.

Millie my profile picture got a good kicking and they locked her in the conservatory on a hot day in June.

So yes I am paranoid, but you have to keep it in perspective and not let it ruin your enjoyment because you can only do what you can do.
I could not have prevented my dog from being stolen but they did not reckon on my perseverance and I got her back 2 months later.
What a dreadful experience for you and your dogs, how was the little one when you got her back?
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »