Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2010, 06:22 PM

Today my Mum got threatened...

Today at work my Mum got threatened.
She is currently running my shop for me due to me being off with ill health.

A man came in with a small bag of straw, and said he would like to return it.
Wondering what was wrong with it, my Mum said ok, whats the problem.
He replied that he had been overcharged and it was too expensive and he could get it cheaper.
(For reference we sell them at £1.50)
He said he bought it yesterday and had been charged £7.50.
My Mum remembered serving him, but asked him who served him, and why he didnt bring it up at the time/come back in/phone up (She also knows she didn't charge him £7.50).
He said he didn't know who served him, but he thinks it was an older woman, and he didn't come back in as he was 'thinking about it'.

My Mum is the only 'older woman' who works there, so she mentioned this, and also said he wasn't charged £7.50.

He said to her "Are you calling me a liar?"
So she said to him "Are you calling me a liar?"

He started getting abusive to her, swearing and being agressive, and said he was going to go to the police, so my Mum said the station is across the road, please go and bring someone back with you.
He was being agressive so she told him to leave the shop or she would call the police.

He started to walk out of the shop and turned around and said "I'm going to tell everyone about you, and i'm going to get someone to sort you out"!!!

My Mum called the police, who took her details and said they would send someone round.

Sad thing is, the police never sent anyone round.
Mike and I went up to see if she was ok, and Mike saw a police lady outside and went and got her. She came in, and said "Do you know who it was", Mum said no, and she was like "Well theres nothing we can do".
There is CCTV outside the square my shop is on, but it points up the street, and we mentioned it, and she said it was only manned on Friday/Sat and Sunday nights, and it doesn't face any of us little shops anyway!!

Well we know theres nothing that can be done unless we know who he is, but to have a bit of support would have been nice. My Mum is a tiny lady and 62 years old, and doesn't need threatening by a man lying about a couple of pounds!

Mike has spent all today installing CCTV for us incase anything happens again!!

Just had to vent, as rather annoyed someone would do that to someone else!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2010, 06:26 PM
What a horrid experience for her. There are some nasty, malicious people out there. Hope she is ok about going back to work after that.

Bet the knob couldn't even product a receipt, either?
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2010, 06:34 PM
How horrible for your Mum, hope she's ok and am glad you've got CCTV installed now. The man sounds like a total plank, what an idiot Hope the police gave your Mum an incident number at least so is on file for if happens again, which hopefully it wont. I'd get her a personal alarm to keep with her as well for if any other idiots kick off, might make them think twice.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Oh dear hope your mum is feeling ok.

Good thing the cctv is in now hopefully there won't be a next time but if there is you have them banged too rights.

Silly man thinking anyone would sell a small bag of straw for
£7-50 and then go back to get a refund.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Hugs for your mum!
And the doglets send kisses
What a horrible man - obviously compensating for something.
Just tell your Mum to ignore everything he said.

Police are quite useless in sending people out - I remember when this man tried to pick me up once I took his registration and gave it to the police - they never got back to me on what was done about it and said that they'd look into it but because I wasnt in trauma at the time (several hours after the incident) they werent going to do much at that time

Hope the CCTV helps
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Ghastly, Hev..... hope Mum's ok x
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2010, 09:35 PM
What is the matter with people these days. Hope your mum is ok Hev.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Grrrr don't some people make you sick?

I hope your mum will be ok and it won't make her anxious if she sees him again.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2010, 10:08 PM
Thanks everyone
No police incident number, which has really annoyed me!
We've got the police phone number (local) up right next to the phone now!

Mum is ok luckily!
When we got there my OH and me gave her a great big hug, and I bought her a mince pie!

It's not someone she recognises from coming in the shop before, or even from around the area....I think he was just trying it on, and hopefully he won't even show his face again, cos he'll be sorry if he does!
There was a customer in the shop at the time, and she said she would be a witness if needed!

Some people are just beyong belief!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2010, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Thanks everyone
No police incident number, which has really annoyed me!
We've got the police phone number (local) up right next to the phone now!

Mum is ok luckily!
When we got there my OH and me gave her a great big hug, and I bought her a mince pie!

It's not someone she recognises from coming in the shop before, or even from around the area....I think he was just trying it on, and hopefully he won't even show his face again, cos he'll be sorry if he does!
There was a customer in the shop at the time, and she said she would be a witness if needed!

Some people are just beyong belief!
Just a note- if he comes back and your mum feels threatened she shouldnt hesitate to dial 999- making clear she is a woman alone in a shop being threatened by a man and she fears for her safety.
She has every right to do this, its not an over reaction.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >