Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Dawn.......
Sorry I shouted at you, its out of frustration.
It is the job of the NGRC to trace the owners because they are supposed to 'police' or regulate the racing industry.
As would the DVLA trace the owner of a dumped car and pass them on to the 'police' force.
Do you understand what the NGRC are paid to do?
spot
Dogsey Veteran

27-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Why is it the job of the NGRC to phone owners about Dogs? .
Because thats their job - they state they will contact owners if dogs have not raced or trialed for 6 months and they have not recieved the correct forms, to find out what has happened to the dog

I am talking about the rescues here, the ones that are always complaining about owners of Dogs who discard them and they are left to pick up the pieces. All I am saying is, for us it DID work in plenty of instances, lets face it if you rang 10 owners and just 2 of them gave you even £30 each, thats a fair bit towards the keep of a Grey for a couple weeks at least.

I am full of admiration for ANY rescue, Id just like them to give the owners a chance, because I reckon a large majority do NOT know what happens to their dogs, they are trusting the trainer to rehome and as you know some dont do it properly! If the trainer comes under fire, he wont get the business from decent grey owners, thus depleting his income, like I say, hit them where it hurts!
Dawn.
But the owners should be aware of what is happening to their dogs - its in the rules that they are ultimately responsible for the retirement plans for the dogs they own.

Can I ask how you found out who the owners of the labs were if the dogs had been put into rescue?

Also I dont understand why you will name and shame owners who will not undertake rehoming their dogs responsbily but not trainers who have been found to be abusing dogs?
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
Galty.........
They still get EU funding through the Farm Diversity scheme.
http://ndp.fusio.net/viewdoc.asp?mn=...ture_farm3.htm
Scroll down to Fact sheet no 58 and click on greyhounds.
http://www.teagasc.ie/advisory/alter...0001/index.htm

Hi Jodie had look at link

Not sure but on clicking back it looks like that was from the 1994 to1999 program which I think was ended.

Click on to right Summerias of OP programs 1994 to 1999
Click on to forestry ECT
Then scroll down to greyhounds
http://ndp.fusio.net/viewdoc.asp?mn=...2007&DocID=277
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2008, 04:07 PM
The EU subsidy is correct.
I have a letter in front of me from the EU Commissioners accepting my compliant regarding the subsidy. Which they are now investigating, along with another related matter.
Please look at the Teagasc link for confrimation of this subsidy.
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Could not find any date on second link.
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Click on to right Summerias of OP programs 1994 to 1999
Click on to forestry ECT
Then scroll down to greyhounds
http://ndp.fusio.net/viewdoc.asp?mn=...2007&DocID=277

These instructions take you back to the first link I gave you on my posting.
Look to the left and you see it relates to Ireland's National Development Plan for 2007-2013
As regards the Teagasc link..........I dont think the Irish are even that silly enough to promote a fund that it nearly 10 years out of date.
But if you go to the fact sheet No58 relating to greyhounds, on the right hand side there is indeed a date.............MAY 2006.......agreed?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Because thats their job - they state they will contact owners if dogs have not raced or trialed for 6 months and they have not recieved the correct forms, to find out what has happened to the dog

But the owners should be aware of what is happening to their dogs - its in the rules that they are ultimately responsible for the retirement plans for the dogs they own.

Can I ask how you found out who the owners of the labs were if the dogs had been put into rescue?

Also I dont understand why you will name and shame owners who will not undertake rehoming their dogs responsbily but not trainers who have been found to be abusing dogs?
I did Labrador rescue Spot. People contacted us for rehoming labradors, many came with papers, we contacted the breeders of these dogs as they were stated on the pedigrees. Same as with Greyhounds, owners can be traced via ear tattooes etc..

I understand precisely what the NGRC do, but i still maintain it wouldnt hurt for the rescues to contact owners themselves, if its the NGRC they want to get at, what a perfect opportunity to expose them! Still, Id do it for the sake of the Dog and telling those owners where their dog is, what has happened to it and what will happen to it, and they should be given the chance to contribute to it. If they dont, THEN name and shame them!

Many owners are unaware of their Dogs fate, they DO trust the trainers, and like I say, bad publicity for the trainer, will be better in the long run for the Greyhounds that are trained under them.

Oh and Jodie.
Dont you think its hard enough for them to teach your abandoned greyhounds how to play? Dont you thinks its hard enough for them to find homes for the constant flow of your industry's financial liabilities?
Its your industry's responsibility to pay the £600 it costs to get one of your 'units' retired into a forever home.
Its your industry's responsibility to police this corrupt 'sport', not joe public or public resources!
If your industry wants self regulation, then let it SELF FUND and SELF REGULATE!!!!

Whatever gave you the idea it was "my" industry????
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2008, 04:52 PM
I was given the idea by your very first posting on this thread which says......

I will always be a fan of Greyhound racing, I never want to see it banned, I enjoy my friends who train, I enjoy watching their dogs train and being a part of that, always will.
Dawn
spot
Dogsey Veteran

27-03-2008, 06:26 PM
I did Labrador rescue Spot. People contacted us for rehoming labradors, many came with papers, we contacted the breeders of these dogs as they were stated on the pedigrees. Same as with Greyhounds, owners can be traced via ear tattooes etc...
Thanks for explaining - so you contacted the breeders not the owners. The thing with greys the owners it is in the rules that they ensure the dogs are taken care of its down to them to check out what has happened to the dogs.

Why is it the job of the NGRC to phone owners about Dogs? Dawn.
I understand precisely what the NGRC do, but i still maintain it wouldnt hurt for the rescues to contact owners themselves, if its the NGRC they want to get at, what a perfect opportunity to expose them! Still, Id do it for the sake of the Dog and telling those owners where their dog is, what has happened to it and what will happen to it, and they should be given the chance to contribute to it. If they dont, THEN name and shame them!

Many owners are unaware of their Dogs fate, they DO trust the trainers, and like I say, bad publicity for the trainer, will be better in the long run for the Greyhounds that are trained under them.

:
I think both myself and Jodie were responding to your question as to why the NGRC should be contacting the owners.

The other concern for rescues is that some of the owners and trainers are fully aware of what has happened to the dogs and to put them back into that situation is just going to end up with a worse fate for the dog.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Thanks for explaining - so you contacted the breeders not the owners. The thing with greys the owners it is in the rules that they ensure the dogs are taken care of its down to them to check out what has happened to the dogs.

I think both myself and Jodie were responding to your question as to why the NGRC should be contacting the owners.

The other concern for rescues is that some of the owners and trainers are fully aware of what has happened to the dogs and to put them back into that situation is just going to end up with a worse fate for the dog.
Especially when its cheaper for them to have the dog destroyed than paying for rescue care....
It would be so easy for them to put on a show of looking responsible by collecting the dog, the rescue believing the dog would be safe and well cared for, then just going straight to the vet, [ or wherever ], to kill the dog, their `public reputation` intact...

Why should rescues risk that or have to use their already over-stretched resources to try to resolve things for the 30,000 rescued ex-racers needing homes which the owners are supposed to sort as per the rules the agree to abide to within the industry..
The numbers are a tad more to chase around after than a comparative handful of non-industry rescue dogs, [ unless Labs are racing too ], which any one rescue might be able to find breeder details for.

[ The figure of 30,000 is just through the Retired Greyhound Trust, the actual figure is much higher through independent racing Grey rescuers whose figures are not included, and not counting the ones sent to the horrific conditions shown in one of the links I posted or the ones horribly murdered whose numbers will never be known and the ones whose ears are cut off to make sure no tattoo evidence is there to enable prosecution ].
Page 10 of 157 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 60 110 > Last »