Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Lotsadogs View Post
Or maybe it has been inadvertently taught by an unwitting owner? I have seen sooooooo many people use food and toys to get there dog out of "I'm not doing it/going there" mode. And the dog learns it and can may then use that mode. If you ask me to do the washing up I may or may not do it, but If I know if I leave it you will offer me £10 for doing it, then Ill be sure to refuse until you offer me £10.

Often this "mode" in pet dogs is taught in the first days of the puppy going out into the world. Puppy is scared, understandably, owners uses food to lure dog forward, dog learns if I stop still, I get food. Some dogs develop this into lying down and being floppy mode.

I was once saw a retriever who hated the car for whatever reason. He had adopted the lying down and not doing it mode. He then began using that in lots of different situation, being called into the house, being got off the bed, being taken to the vets,... Not much fun.
quote, yup totaly. Even though I ramble on I still dont cover all the points I mean too
But again its not dominance or anything - just a smart dog training an owner a behaviour chain
Thats why I like to work on the 'surprise treats are always an option' - rather than only getting a reward when a reward is in the owners hand
I see lots of people who say when playing fetch the dog wont give the ball back unless they have a treat intheir hands
really it is just a classic case of people not understanding how to fade out a lure
- basically people have treat in hand ask dog for the ball back, dog gives ball gets treat - all is good
owner then thinks the dog is 'trained' so dosent bring treat out, dog gives ball back, dosent get treat, quickly realises that he dosent get a treat for giving the ball back unless the treat is in the owners hand
smart dog

same I was working with a woman who said treat training wasnt working teaching her dog to walk nicely on the lead
He was a lovely smart GSD
He walked along nicely to heal for a few steps looking up at his owner - who ignored him - he then ran ahead a bit and started to pull, she called 'heel' he came back to her side and got a treat
she thought 'heel' ment walk nicely beside me
he though 'heel' ment 'If I want a treat I have to pull on the lead till she says that word then I run back to her hand to get a treat'
solution - be more rewarding and less predictable when they dog is doing the thing you actually want
Dogs are v specific in their smarts sometimes lol
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
What would happen if another puppy or dog(or human even) went to the young staffie and started displaying the same behaviour, would it change what the staffie is doing? Have been reading this thread with interest and has got me thinking(probably not the best idea), don't mind if any one thinks is daft question Just tell me to shut up
I have seen Shaun Ellis use dog language to great effect----and I happen to know someone else who has a great low growl which works brilliantly. Me----I can't growl to save my life.

Holding a dogs muzzle and lowering it works very well when they are getting OTT as well.

Shaun whimpered at our feral dog and he came to talk to him which, at the time, was amazing.

Usually if you crouch and whimper dogs will come into your face and lick round.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Its really funny if you get two dogs both trying to get lower and lower to each other!

Etta does it with a young collie Phoebe. They end up crawling along up each others noses!

rune
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I have seen Shaun Ellis use dog language to great effect----and I happen to know someone else who has a great low growl which works brilliantly. Me----I can't growl to save my life.

Holding a dogs muzzle and lowering it works very well when they are getting OTT as well.

Shaun whimpered at our feral dog and he came to talk to him which, at the time, was amazing.

Usually if you crouch and whimper dogs will come into your face and lick round.

rune
I have on several occasions growled at dogs who have approached in not too friendly a fashion, they have thankfully(to date) turned around and gone the other way(not saying or know if this is right or wrong, but my dog was very fearful when got her and attacked two or three times). Have done the crouching,whimpering thing too which was interesting.
ps am not saying Shaun Ellis is wrong and am sure you can growl, bet there's one in there somewhere
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 03:18 PM
Alpha and omega? Has somebody seen the new kiddie film then?
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2010, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Alpha and omega? Has somebody seen the new kiddie film then?
I haven't. Was it good?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 06:22 PM

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 06:23 PM
I have on several occasions growled at dogs who have approached in not too friendly a fashion, they have thankfully(to date) turned around and gone the other way(not saying or know if this is right or wrong, but my dog was very fearful when got her and attacked two or three times). Have done the crouching,whimpering thing too which was interesting.
ps am not saying Shaun Ellis is wrong and am sure you can growl, bet there's one in there somewhere
I have to say I do feel one coming on sometimes----on some threads!

rune
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 03:46 PM
"Do you growl at your PC often?"
"Grrr....Grrrr....Grrr"
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 04:25 PM