Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2009, 04:00 PM

Do you talk to your dog?

I've always chatted away to my dogs. On walks, while making dinner - every time I walk past them I'd have a little something to say "hello sweetheart - have you been a good girl?" ...that kind of nonesense.

Then a trainer pointed out to me that the reason my Beagle wandered off for a sniff and started ignoring me was usually because I was talking too much. She explained that the dog really did want to do as it was told but it was getting so much white noise that it was stressful to it. So the dog would put it's nose down for a sniff (a calming signal) and then just wander off and do it's own thing.

"Nonesense!" I thought.

But I tried it. I stopped talking to the dogs other than to give one word commands. The difference is amazing. Also my atopic dog has stopped scratching!

I really miss talking to them. But the dogs are without a doubt happier now that I've SHUT UP!!!! And SOOOO much more attentive and obedient.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 04:02 PM
No - but sometimes I talk to myself and the dog eavesdrops.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Yes, I talk to my dogs, but not in the serious tone of voice I use for commands.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 04:43 PM
I got told off by a trainer for talking too much I have to admit she was right. They behave much better when I don't chat to them.
I still do it though,when we're sitting around and not expecting them to do anything in particular. Its a great way of getting a sensible conversation. They never disagree
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 05:07 PM
i do it in the house, all the time, walk past him and give him a squeeze and a nuzzle on his muzzle "what a gorgeous boy" etc and - but I dont talk to him on walks much.
harleypup
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Interesting point! I have always spoken to our dogs, I'm going to try not talking to the puppy unless I'm giving him a command....it'll be difficult, but I'll let you know if there's an improvement. Although, I must admit, when I talk to Harley it's in a stupid voice and then give him his commands in a different voice!

Interesting point tho....
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2009, 05:45 PM
harleypup - same with me but it really was upsetting my dogs nonetheless! I would never have spotted it in a million years if it hadn't been spelled out to me.

The trainer in question told me that she used to take her dogs to work with her. They drove her nuts in the car on the way home with their barking and noise. Then it dawned on her that it was her mindlessly chattering to them on the journey home that got them going. She shut up and they did too.

As an example, in an agility class my dog was standing at my side (off-lead) and I was chatting to the teacher. My dog was clearly keen to get started. Someone had left a tennis ball lying on the ground and my dog picked it up excitedly and looked at me expectantly (we use a tennis ball as a training tool in agility). I took the ball from her and said "That's not your ball silly" in a daft but friendly voice. My dog immediately put her nose to the floor and wandered off. I called her back to me and she ignored me. It took us a good few minutes to get her focussed on me again. The teacher pointed out that it was my yattering about the ball that switched her off - I should have simply taken the ball from her and said nothing. It's hard to believe, but since having it pointed out to me I watch out for it and a silly throw-away sentence really does seem to have a profound, negative effect. I thought my Beagles sniffed the floor when I tried to work with them because they are scent hounds - but no. It's because I'm stressing them by chatting to them!

If I talk to my dogs while they are lying on the floor sleeping, or beside me on a chair they will almost always yawn, lick their noses, look away.....all calming signals that indicate stress.

Another thing that we've always commented on is how good our dogs are if we stop for a chat with someone during walks. So good that people often comment on how well-behaved we are. In fact ANY time when I'm in conversation with someone my dogs are wonderfully calm and well behaved. As my trainer pointed out - if I'm occupied talking to someone else my poor dogs get a bit of peace!

I really thought I was being nice to my dogs by making small-talk but they really do seem to get stressed by it! My younger dog used to be very submissive and frequently rolled onto his back (for a tummy-tickle I thought). My older dog never liked me to approach her for cuddles. The little one has stopped rolling on his back and the older one now seems to enjoy cuddles and tummy rubs when I approach. Provided I keep my big gob shut!!!

I now try to make all interactions meaningful to my dogs. And as a result they are much more keen to be with me.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 05:58 PM
that is interesting. when i first got lily she would scrabble on her hind legs to try to get me to pick her up when i was sitting on the sofa. it was actually victoria stilwell that said about applying the 3 second rule to wanted behaviour. so it took a couple of nights but as soon as lily went quiet and sat, i counted to 3 then picked her up. i didn't say a word.

now, if she wants anything and whines, i look at her and she will sit! all done without me saying a word!

i rarely talk to dylan on walks though, and he is so good at keeping his eye on me. he needs to know where i am rather than me telling him by calling him.

i must admit that i do talk to lily sometimes though, i have to tell her how cute she is!
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 06:02 PM
I think the mad people are the ones that don't talk to their dog!!!!!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
I think the mad people are the ones that don't talk to their dog!!!!!
Yaaaaaay, how true!
I was once told by a trainer that to talk to your dog all the time desensitised them to you voice.
Well I'm sorry but I have to talk to Mo almost 24/7. She does occasionaly look p****d off but I think generally she enjoys our little chats
I wonder do these people talk to their children, or do they think that they will misbehave if they do
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »