View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 09:18 PM
in response to smokeybear re CRB checks, no we do not do them, first of all dont think as a very small rescue we can actually afford to do that with every homecheck, and going by this thread I think we would get huge objections from the public, judging by the people on here that think a homecheck is too much !!!
spot
Dogsey Veteran

04-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I know the answer for the two I do, as already said (several times on this thread) there appear not to be "blanket policies" therefore I would like to learn about what OTHER rescues do.
I thought you were asking about CRB checks?

I am a bit confused you say for the 2 you have helped out with 'appear' not to have blanket policies - is that not the case in reality?

The ones I have worked with do have certain criteria but in every case they can will take into consideration the dogs requirements and the families requirements.

As Brun has so eloquently said blanket statements are a problem on here and damned if they do and damned if they dont.

But I agree with many I dont see why rescues shouldnt castrate dogs it just seems common sense to me.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
I thought you were asking about CRB checks?

Yes I was

I am a bit confused you say for the 2 you have helped out with 'appear' not to have blanket policies - is that not the case in reality?

Did I? I thought I was referring to the posts on this thread which discussed whether or not all rescues have the same blanket policies eg ALL insist on neutering pets, the neutering of all pets the adopter already had; the insistence that dogs were kept as pets only and not worked; not having small children; not being left for more than 4 hours; not rehoming to people in full time work etc etc.

So I am also confused?

The ones I have worked with do have certain criteria but in every case they can will take into consideration the dogs requirements and the families requirements.

As Brun has so eloquently said blanket statements are a problem on here and damned if they do and damned if they dont.

But I agree with many I dont see why rescues shouldnt castrate dogs it just seems common sense to me.
We have had blanket statements by those "assuming that those who are anti certain policies do nothing for rescue" as well as those who have had nothing but "blanket policies" from rescues applied to them hence why some have gone elsewhere.

The experiences we have all had, colour our outlook and result in generalisations, this is human nature.

The experience of one is not necessarily the experience of many.

I know for example that the RSPCA and other rescues refuse to let a breed rescue take a dog off their hands. Thereby emptying another kennel and enabling MORE dogs to be rescued and rehomed. This is one reason why I will NEVER support the RSPCA, it is a poor use of funds (funds which, as many on here have pointed out are badly needed).

I am pointing out why SOME of us are anti SOME rescues due to their policies on rehoming and how they spend their money.

It is, IMHO, a poor use of funds when they insist on holding on to a dog which could be kenneled, fed, treated at the expense of others (often better placed at assessing the breed and suitability of a home) rather than relinquishing it willingly in order to maximise the number of dogs they can rehome. It just seems common sense to me.........

But maybe I am just weird.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
seems like we cant win then, the big ones have too many restrictions and the little uns are restrictive enough?

I like to think there is a happy medium, but there will always be mistakes, and situations where dogs come back.

We recently had a lovely home for an old dog who was supposed to be fine with cats, went to a new home, which didnt have cats in home, but had feral ones outside and dog chased them..... came back within 24 hours, new owner not willing to work on it... who is to blame? rescue for not testing the dog with cats outside, new owner for not being willing to work on it?

I will say it again, its a very difficult job, but not every rescue is one or the other.

Alot of the large organisations have the no kids under 5 for a very good reason, many dogs that end up there are strays so they dont have enough background to say for sure what dog is like with young kids who are notoriously unpredicatble( kids I am talking about) and on the other side of that if a dog was rehomed to younger kids and then hurt the child then the rescue is to blame... so I can understand the rule.

We will only rehome a dog to young children if they have been brought up with young kids or experience with them. Staffies can be boisterous and so you have to do the best you can.

we do not have the neutered rule, we do not have conditions of a garden( unless said dog has had a garden and is particularly fond of having a garden/come from country home etc)
We also have no hard and fast rules as to full time work - as long as there is something in place to satisfy what arrangements would be made for dog.
Its down to the individual dog with us.

so its not a "blanket " covering ALL rescues.
Thats what irks me everyone is tarred with the same brush,
My post was in relation to runes post re not rehoming to those of us with unneutered dogs and the assumption that we were responsible for the rescue population purely by not neutering. It's this kind of judgemental attitude by some rescues that irks me.

I hope there is a balance, sadly I haven't seen it personally and it has put me off big style.

Originally Posted by spot View Post
Rips as you know I have been involved in helping out rescues and of all the ones I have been involved with not one has expected all dogs to be neutered - I do wonder just how many in reality do!

I would be interested in what breeders have as their criteria for homing puppies - do they let them go to homes where people work full time etc etc. It seems to me that as is very often the case on here that rescues are damned if they do and damned if they dont.

I have worked with some great rescues and I find it very sad that threads like this just cement you opinion that no rescues can be trusted = I think you are doing a real injustice to the many people who work long and hard to do the best for dogs.
It would be impossible to tell without ringing them all. I have had many experiences with friends being refused for silly reasons - restrictions put in place that are not flexible. Not being married being one such reason.

Individual breeders will generally have individual requirements for each individual potential owner. Given the difference in volume of dogs homed by the two different parties in any given period I don't think the two are comparable. None of the breeders I have bought from have had restrictions - they have insisted on meeting me and grilling me before allowing me to go on their waiting list however.

I can only ever go from the personal experiences I've had in life, if you think that is not justified then so be it.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
So because I own, show and breed (last one is currently hypothetical) responsibly I shouldn't be allowed a rescue dog? And therefore in your mind anyone who breeds is automatically adding to the rescue population?

You keep saying that by having strict requirements/blanket policies you're keeping the dogs safe, but in the same breath you again say people will lie through their back teeth to get what they want so surely blanket policies will fail regardless? What's to stop someone rescuing a dog from somewhere and then moving house a couple of months later and acquiring an entire dog from elsewhere? How can any of the rescue organisations be sure that the dog they re homed isn't being abused and beaten everyday by the "lovely" owner they found for them that has a huge big garden, doesn't have kids and is home all day???

I can understand neutering dogs that are re homed, I can understand the home checks but blanket restrictions do not automatically prevent dogs being homed with less than truthful people. It just punishes the minority and prevents perfectly good homes from being found.
Try reading my posts.

I have said exactly that---it is impossible to know.

So maybe you are trustworthy---or maybe you are not. I wouldn't know one way or another if you turned up for a dog. Nor would you know if I was.

I think we are talking about two different aspects of 'blanket policies' One is that a specific rescue has blanket policies----the other is that all rescues have the same blanket requirements---which is rubbish!

One rescue might want you to own all neutered dogs but there are loads who don't---most of the bigger ones don't. Yes most want the dogs to be not left for longer than a few hoursa day. I think that is reasonable, dog walkers can be organised as can neighbours, all are acceptable options. Most require most of their dogs to be housed indoors---again reasonable IMO. Most will make exceptions in certain circumstances.

If someone really wants to find a rescue dog it is not difficult. They may have to put themselves out and travel rather than popping down the road.

Your first paragraph is totally ridiculous and not based on anything I have ever written or am ever likely to. Some of my best friends breed dogs

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2011, 09:58 PM
I know the answer for the two I do, as already said (several times on this thread) there appear not to be "blanket policies" therefore I would like to learn about what OTHER rescues do.
The largish one I worked with didn't. Nor did they have any blanket policies which were not flexible depending on the dog and the prospective owner---but mainly on the dog.

They did require a fenced area (although for farms and smallholdings not always) and they did require the dog not to be left for hours on end.

rune
spot
Dogsey Veteran

06-10-2011, 04:38 PM
We have had blanket statements by those "assuming that those who are anti certain policies do nothing for rescue" as well as those who have had nothing but "blanket policies" from rescues applied to them hence why some have gone elsewhere.

The experiences we have all had, colour our outlook and result in generalisations, this is human nature.

The experience of one is not necessarily the experience of many.

I know for example that the RSPCA and other rescues refuse to let a breed rescue take a dog off their hands. Thereby emptying another kennel and enabling MORE dogs to be rescued and rehomed. This is one reason why I will NEVER support the RSPCA, it is a poor use of funds (funds which, as many on here have pointed out are badly needed).

I am pointing out why SOME of us are anti SOME rescues due to their policies on rehoming and how they spend their money.

It is, IMHO, a poor use of funds when they insist on holding on to a dog which could be kenneled, fed, treated at the expense of others (often better placed at assessing the breed and suitability of a home) rather than relinquishing it willingly in order to maximise the number of dogs they can rehome. It just seems common sense to me.........

But maybe I am just weird.
Actually the 3 closest rescues operating under the RSPCA banner to me do pass on dogs to breed rescue if there is space - I have transported many a greyhound (obviously) a ruddy huge mastiff (fortunatley we were in the doggy mover so could fit him in!) amd a few more
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2011, 04:55 PM
They must be the very very rare exception then as the MAJORITY do not.

Which I find strange both for the reasons stated and that as the RSPCA are a NATIONAL charity, they surely should have a NATIONAL policy.

This has triggered me to contact their HO for their official stance, so thanks for that.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2011, 05:08 PM
I think each branch is fairly autonomous---including the fund raising.

I understood that they made their own policies.

rune
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2011, 05:29 PM
I find that very odd, national companies have national policies and I would have thought the same applied to national charities.

I thought that there was some issue with RSPCA funding in that people often thought it went to their local branch (if they fund raised locally) but it did not?

Need to do some research.................to find out the FACTs
Page 9 of 10 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 >