View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2014, 05:43 PM
I've been into Border Collies since I was about 6, but didn't get to own one for 15 years. Also love GSDs & Cavaliers
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2014, 05:44 PM
Recently I've become a bit fanatical about Rough Collies and Shelties
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-01-2014, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by jantet View Post
Griffons have frequently been on my 'next dog' list! My friend had a smashing one called Dottie. And I loved Verdell in the film As Good As It Gets.
Having never heard of that movie I just looked it up - well I would, of course! Verdell, a lovely red rough [in need of stripping!] was apparently "played" by six Griffs, Timer the Dog, Sprout, Debbie, Billy the Dog, Parfait, and Jill the Dog who was, apparently, the star!

Even though I had both, my preference was always for the smooths [Petit Brabançon].
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-01-2014, 06:02 PM
I never knew there were six of them!

I've seen pictures of Petit Brabancon of course, but never met one in real life. Thinking about it, I'm surprised I haven't seen any at Crufts.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-01-2014, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by jantet View Post
I never knew there were six of them!

I've seen pictures of Petit Brabancon of course, but never met one in real life. Thinking about it, I'm surprised I haven't seen any at Crufts.
I do not know the situation now, but Griffons were always classed together, be they roughs or smooths, as unlike Chihuahuas which were registered as long or short coated, Griffs were just registered according to their colour, ie red, black, or black and tan.

The one and only time I went to Crufts was when my mentor was showing one of her red smooth girls, and the BOB [or was it Best Bitch? I really do not remember] went to a black rough [one of the very few blacks there] who was, to my mind, over the weight standard for the breed. She looked large and she felt heavy [her owner handed her to me for a cuddle], and she was far heavier than any of my girls.

It always used to make me laugh when I was out with any of my tribe - frequently four at a time on two leads with two as a brace on each, as quite often people would ask what breed they were, so of course I said that they were Griffons.

And they would point to the smooths and say yes, but what breed are those? My response was usually "miniature Boxers" and most people actually believed me!
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-01-2014, 06:35 PM
What a wicked person you are Malka! There are probably people still desperately trying to find a breeder of miniature Boxers!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2