View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

19-03-2005, 06:23 PM
Hi

I use flexi leads but only for initial retrieval exercises throw the dummy and then control the retrieve with the flexi very gently.

The flexi on a walk, unfortunately as pointed out can break and also teaches the dog to pull on the lead because their are no limits.

With young pups especially when they are under 16 weeks which is a critical time for learning I use a particular exercise and explanation to new dog puppy owners, so that they have the confidence to let the dog/dogs off the lead as soon as they allowed out. I hope you don't mind me sharing it.

I want you to imagine that your dog’s brain is a CD.

Written to that CD is the Breeder the Breeders family your dogs mother, siblings and any other dogs the breeder had. Then you come into the equation, written to the CD is you your husband and any of your family who have visited, plus the Vet and numerous others who have admired her.

Where on that CD is it written that if she runs over there or runs away that it will be interesting or fun? Where on that CD does it say that not being with you is a good thing? where on that CD does it give confidence of being on her own or running off? "Nowhere" so leave off the 15 yard extendable lead the dogs not going anywhere except with you.

Now what is vitally important is that the dog feels anxious when not with you, especially if she cannot see you, therefore before the age of 16 weeks (the most important milestone in any dog life) She/he must have been made slightly anxious on numerous occasions and to do this you need to hide.

While she is distracted and sniffing, hide behind something, a tree or a fence anything where she cannot see you. She will look up and start to panic, allow this to happen for a short while, she will eventually run around find your scent and come to you, make a big fuss and treat her when she does. But a valuable lesson will have been learned. She will not think you have hidden she will think you have got lost ,and this will instil in her the need to keep you in view at all times.

Also call her to you and put the normal lead on her three or four times during every walk, then she will not learn that the lead means end of walk ie end of fun. We have all seen the dogs that stay 5/6 feet from their owners who are trying to get the lead back on, they have actually taught the dogs this frustrating habit by only ever putting the lead back on at the end of the walk.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2005, 06:41 PM
My vet told me the golden rule for puppy walking is 5 minutes per day per month of age...........does this apply to all breeds?? So Lily is coming up 4 months, so can only walk 20 minuted PER DAY!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3