Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 02:33 PM

Can kibble go 'off'

Does kibble tend to go 'off' if not used within a certain time after opening?
DanishPastry
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-03-2007, 02:39 PM
if it is stored DRY and not too hot, it doesn't go off as such. What the fabricants can't guarantee is that the levels of vitamins etc are what is promised, as the food gets older. But because you have a sack of food sitting around going a month over, it shouldn't matter one bit. It is really important that it is kept dry though, as it can get mouldy otherwise.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 02:41 PM
Agree with the above, as long as it is dry then you shouldn't encouter any problems. Having said that I've never bought enough to last over the use by date lol!
Becky
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-03-2007, 02:50 PM
Hi maebme yes it does, some makes more than others depending on the preservatives used.

Once any food substance is exposed to the air some deterioration takes place. For this reason when I fed kibble I bought only small quantities at a time.

There should be a sell by or use by date on the bag and once a bag is open it is best stored in an airtight container. .
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 06:00 PM
I haven't stored it in an airtight container, and of course Oscar isn't going through it as quickly as he should. I wonder if this is why?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 06:48 PM
I don't store mine in an airtight container it stays in the bag and it takes me about 6 weeks to get through one sack. The dogs eat it the same on day one as they do on day erm whatever!!
becky
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Thanks Becky.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2007, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi maebme yes it does, some makes more than others depending on the preservatives used.

Once any food substance is exposed to the air some deterioration takes place. For this reason when I fed kibble I bought only small quantities at a time.

There should be a sell by or use by date on the bag and once a bag is open it is best stored in an airtight container. .
Agree completely with the above, remember some dogs are not as fussy as others and you could feed it mouldy and they would still eat it, doesn't mean its still fine.
If you can store it in an air tight container fine, if not then buy smaller bags.
I buy big sacks and they last me about 3 weeks with my two. They eat the first few days of a new sack with much more relish than the last few.
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2007, 12:57 PM
Thanks Madmare - if that is the case then I think I have found the answer to Oscar's reluctance to eat kibble after a week or two.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2007, 01:11 PM
My Burns food went off in the summer months, so I bought smaller bags next time. The dogs suddenly refused to eat it, and I suspect coz it's got no preservatives in it like other dried food. At the end of the day, it's food, and food goes off, be it dried or otherwise.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >