View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2014, 12:11 AM
I don't think so really. I mean my Jadey girl is 11 years old, has mild arthritis, and is mega lazy and nonathletic (always has been) and LOVES laying about the house. She sometimes really resists going outside and doing things etc.

But we go anyway? Why? Because it helps keep her healthy and it's good for her... whether she realizes it or not. She sometimes will look up at me like WHY??? but we keep moving. I don't think most people who are unable to walk a dog should get one.

In the event that they do, it should be an old dog or a lazy dog that is OKAY without proper exercise and not a young dog or vibrant breed. All about the specific dog.

I know that if I didn't take my Nigredo outside EACH day for a LONG time, he would jet about the house, chew things, and pester our cats and Jade all day long. But Jade is a layabout and would love to exercise as little as possible, but no ma'am.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-04-2014, 02:40 AM
Well that's kind of a loaded question. Perhaps a senior who can't move about without effort teamed up with a senior dog who can't move about without effort? They could help each other. Or perhaps the same person with a very small dog who can get it's own exercise romping in the house or garden? Otherwise if someone can't really walk much at all I might steer them towards a housecat.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2014, 07:27 AM
My question was really referring to young, healthy dogs like my friend's neighbour who has recently 'rescued' a small terrier type dog.

My last dog I had until she was 15yrs and once she reached about 12 she wasn't overly keen to go out, especially if it was raining. At that stage I tailored her walks to suit her age/ability and there were many occasions when she'd just potter around the garden. I was very much led by what she wanted and never dragged her out for a long hike

My two 3yr olds are also very different. One of them is very high energy and the other would happily vegetate on the settee after having a race around the house. I do take them for lots of walks which they do really enjoy and also try and give them varied walks during the week. My high energy dog has far more off-lead time in public than my 'couch potato' simply because his recall is not 100% .... my two are certainly very different.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2014, 08:30 AM
Yes Jenny all dogs turn out 'different'. But we don't know what they are going to turn out like when we get them. I just wouldn't get a dog if I couldn't take it out for walks for exercise and stimulation - and if that's a given (the inability to be able to do so) I don't think anyone should. Getting a dog just for 'company' is, to my thinking, a bit selfish and all about the owner, not the dog. Different if you've got arrangements for someone else to walk it regularly. I know a woman in Berks near my youngest son who uses a mobility vehicle and has 2 small dogs - terrier types. She takes them out more than once a day (we used to walk together when I was there). Her dogs are very happy - they take it in turns to jump up on the footplate as she goes along! It's the highlight of her day too - out with her dogs - as it is for me most days.

*Just want to correct my 'bed' statement in a post above - I did of course mean BREED lol! Wouldn't want anyone to think I have 'bed' on the brain.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2014, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Yes Jenny all dogs turn out 'different'. But we don't know what they are going to turn out like when we get them. I just wouldn't get a dog if I couldn't take it out for walks for exercise and stimulation - and if that's a given (the inability to be able to do so) I don't think anyone should. Getting a dog just for 'company' is, to my thinking, a bit selfish and all about the owner, not the dog. Different if you've got arrangements for someone else to walk it regularly. I know a woman in Berks near my youngest son who uses a mobility vehicle and has 2 small dogs - terrier types. She takes them out more than once a day (we used to walk together when I was there). Her dogs are very happy - they take it in turns to jump up on the footplate as she goes along! It's the highlight of her day too - out with her dogs - as it is for me most days.

*Just want to correct my 'bed' statement in a post above - I did of course mean BREED lol! Wouldn't want anyone to think I have 'bed' on the brain.
Whatever you say
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2014, 11:23 AM
Smut smut smut!

My pooch is still zonked out from our walk this morning! Didn't even notice me just take this piccie of her!

I can assure you she would not be looking like this if she hadn't been taken out for a nice walk earlier. She'd be mooching about and looking expectant every time I went near my keys, the door, well everytime I moved at all. Or just standing by the door and barking at me 'come on let's go!'
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2014, 11:27 AM
ZONKED! Great pic, Tang. Seems like everything has fallen down there, what is that red thing? I know it's very warm where you are so surely that isn't a blanket for Bella?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2014, 01:00 PM
Yep still buries herself under blankets and cushions and all sorts Myra. Minpins feel the cold apparently but as it is about 30 degs here today that's ridiculous but then she is a bit of a ridiculous dog!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2014, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
My question was really referring to young, healthy dogs like my friend's neighbour who has recently 'rescued' a small terrier type dog.
It's a wonder the dog doesn't drive 'em nutty having tons of energy going to waste.

In a garden big enough to exercise the dog, then maybe they'd get away with it with plenty of play, but it must be such a boring life for the dog
y_not
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-04-2014, 03:47 PM
No! I'm disabled with arthritis and lung disease which between them limit walking distance & speed and inclines etc so, following my view I should not have a dog. I however have three! Border Collie, English Springer and Yorkie.
Today my wife (those is not disabled) and I have walked in the woods, taken different paths and encouraged the dogs to run between us and I've hired a scooter allowing a 4 mile hike along the canal towpath.
Being disabled doesn't mean I can't exercise the dogs, I do have to be creative using my wife, rivers (for swimming) ball throwers (but not too much) and scooters.
Many disabled people seem to think that the label means that they mustn't do anything! I was advised to exercise so that I get breathless, to walk (but lose some weight) and generally try and be "normal"; and yes, I work full time.
I suggest, based on the information you supply that your neighbour is simply using the label as an excuse and therefore doesn't deserve the friendship of a dog!
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >