Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 01:12 PM

Calling all Allotment owners

I'm thinking of applying for allotment but am concerned that I won't have enough time to commit to it alone.

So then i thought i'd try and rope some friends in to help out and have use of the allotment and share the produce.

Does anyone else do this and if so, does it work?

Also can you take dogs onto your allotment? I know there's probably restrictions depending on which council your allotment is registered to but it would be nice to take Monty with me.

Any advice, tips etc would be much appreciated!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 03:14 PM
I used to have a half-allotment, which worked out well as it wasn`t too big. I used to take the kids and dogs and they helped.
I wouldn`t have wanted anyone else because it was my little haven - but that`s just me.
One tip - get to know the old guys who know all about the soil there - possible pests etc. Cake is good (for bribery).
I had to rotate crops because of pests (didn`t use chemicals) - and if you look to see what does well on other plots, that`s a good place to start.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 05:24 PM
I've been on the waiting list for an allotment for over 5 years now.
In the meantime I have signed up to Hugh FW's Landshare site, that's how I found that half an allotment. However, the council do not like you sharing allotments so I need to speak to them before I put more into it.
Try landshare too, you might someone with a piece of land you can use without it being an allotment.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I used to have a half-allotment, which worked out well as it wasn`t too big. I used to take the kids and dogs and they helped.
I wouldn`t have wanted anyone else because it was my little haven - but that`s just me.
One tip - get to know the old guys who know all about the soil there - possible pests etc. Cake is good (for bribery).
I had to rotate crops because of pests (didn`t use chemicals) - and if you look to see what does well on other plots, that`s a good place to start.
Never thought of nosing at other people's! Good plan! I think i'd probably enjoy the time alone there but i struggle for time as it is so some help would be good!

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
I've been on the waiting list for an allotment for over 5 years now.
In the meantime I have signed up to Hugh FW's Landshare site, that's how I found that half an allotment. However, the council do not like you sharing allotments so I need to speak to them before I put more into it.
Try landshare too, you might someone with a piece of land you can use without it being an allotment.
Ohhh yeh i forgot about his Landshare thingy, i was trying to remember the name of that the other week. Am off to get out their website now!