Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2010, 10:44 PM

Van and dog questions.

Ok I may be heading up to more moto-x tracks at weekends now, and will be taking the dogs, and a van, to start with at least for a few weeks there wont be any bikes, but there will probally be a few quite shortly, now my questions are if I take the dogs would they be able to travel with the bikes in the van, the majority will be 50cc's and pitbikes, as I'm worried that it wont be safe? (If both are kept separeted, and dogs in crates) and also if it is safe what sort of crates would be best? I did see something in a mag that I can't for the life of me find now but it was more like a metal divider, that split the van in half and then went to the start of the sliding door (from the back) and then had metal doors on the front and back, but I was wondering if I put the two dogs in one of these if it would be too big that it wont be safe for driving but the main concern is would they be able to travel in the van with the bikes anyway? The longest that it will take is about 20 mins to get to a track, but I'm also thinking with the long divider things it would also give the dogs more room if they ever have to be put in the van throughout the day, like when were eating, or to give them somewhere to rest (van doors will be open) but I have no real idea, so anyone got any tips?

There is a chance that they could go up in a car, but I don't think that the car is going to be there regulary, but that is also a option, although that would also need crates, but I think that I would go to lintran for car crates.
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2010, 11:20 PM
If you have a local blacksmith, he could prob make you a divider.

If you are looking at crates then Lintran, Cabtransit, there are loads - it really depends how much you want to spend and how often they will be used.

You would need to be careful if the dogs will be in the van for the whole day - plenty fresh air, water etc - if you are leaving the van doors open - the dust from the bike tracks etc.

I'm sure you will know all of this though.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2010, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by k9xxb View Post
If you have a local blacksmith, he could prob make you a divider.

If you are looking at crates then Lintran, Cabtransit, there are loads - it really depends how much you want to spend and how often they will be used.

You would need to be careful if the dogs will be in the van for the whole day - plenty fresh air, water etc - if you are leaving the van doors open - the dust from the bike tracks etc.

I'm sure you will know all of this though.
Thanks, I'll have to look around for a loca blacksmith, as I use to have a couple of ponies, but haven't for a long time, and don't have any friends who have them, but I'm sure that I will find one

They would never be in there for the whole day, they come to watch the action with us it would probally be for like 20mins to half an hour at a time that they would be in a crate or something .
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 01:22 PM
So long as you have a sturdy divide there should be ni problem.
It would be best for the dogs to be at the fron just behin the seats with the bikes at the back. There is a gompany that do any sort of Van interiors basd in blackburn I will try a google for you if you are interested. Any matal fabrication company would be able to make something for you and there are lots of people who will custom build you something.
Sometimes we take a couple of scooters to week long dog shows and we have dogs in metal crates.
You would need lots of good quality strong rachet type straps that are not cheap to strap everything down.