View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 11:57 PM
I genuinely wouldn't mind if someone in the bank has tattoos, piercings, etc. I wouldn't care if my doctor or midwife did either - as long as whoever it is is clean and polite and good at their job, that's what matters.

When I worked in chemistry I was able to wear jeans to work - presumably because I wasn't meeting the public and the job had the potential to be a bit mucky. But when I went to regulatory, I had to dress 'business casual' - and I hated it.

What really got me was that we were 'allowed' to wear jeans on a Friday, they called it 'dress-down-Friday' so I wouldn't do it. What a rebel eh? I was damned if I was going to be told that I could now wear jeans as it was Friday and join everyone else in doing it.

Not that I don't judge by appearances, I think we all do to some extent, but it is a shame. First impressions and all that, and I guess it is taken as a mark of respect to adopt an appearance that is appropriate for the occasion- although it is just convention and society that dictates what is appropriate.
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-05-2006, 12:00 AM
What about a policeman with a spider web tattoo on his neck and six studs in one ear
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2006, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by Stewart
What about a policeman with a spider web tattoo on his neck and six studs in one ear
He could do some undercover work in the pubs.
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2006, 12:18 AM
What about him?

Is he polite, unbiased, friendly, good at his job?
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-05-2006, 12:31 AM
I must admit if he did exist i wouldn't feel comfortable with him as a policeman coming to my house after a robbery.
no matter how much you don't want it to be the case we are bias about the way people dress.
you expect people in authority to dress smart or you wouldn't take them seriously
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2006, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by Stewart
I must admit if he did exist i wouldn't feel comfortable with him as a policeman coming to my house after a robbery.
no matter how much you don't want it to be the case we are bias about the way people dress.
you expect people in authority to dress smart or you wouldn't take them seriously
But the police man would be dressed smart - in his uniform.
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2006, 07:37 AM
i have facial piercings and tattoos that show
people think i,m "hard" because of these
i,m not
i know i will have to remove all my piercings and
i am seriously considering having the tattoos on my lower arms removed before i start looking for a job as a midwife in 3 years time
as i feel it will hinder me
i,m still the same person with or without the tattoos and piercings so i dont, see what difference it makes really
lillybet
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2006, 07:37 AM
i am sorry but facts are just that. if you go in a prison most of them have tattoos smoke and do drugs! and you look at the top 100 rich people 90% dont have tattoos and smoke or do drugs. people think i am a "slag" because i have long blonde hair have had a boob job and have alot of men friends. but i am not. i still see why people think like they do. i wouldn't go to a slimming club run by a very fat person and i wouldn't buy a car from some1 that looks like a boy racer!
As people we are made to judge people(at 1st) by the was they look so we can be safe and no how 2 act.

i
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-05-2006, 07:53 AM
Well tattoos are becoming generally more widespread and acceptable, and the lesser rebels tend to have them where they are not permanently on view and are therefore less likely to offend anyone. So therefore they are less confrontational and more likely to climb the career ladder. Just because they wear a suit certainly does not make them trustworthy or honest and anyway how do you know what lurks beneath the suit.
The policeman with the spiderweb on his neck, would probably be perceived as lacking judgement for having it on full view.
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2006, 08:44 AM
I think when going for a job you should make an effort as it shows you are willing to make an effort in the job, if you turn up looking scruffy it looks like you dont care whether you get the job or not if you turn up dressed smart it shows you have put the time in to try to give a good impression, and in that example its not just how you look if you application letter is in scruffy handwritting you are less likely to get an interview then if it is neatly typed and presented its about giving the best example of yourself that you can and showing your willing to make and effort.
When you go for a job you will generally be informed of the type of uniform or dress code you will have to follow if you get the job, I have worked in nurseries most of my working life, one was smarter and only black trousers were allowed with the nurseries uniform tops where as another jeans were allowed being much more practical as the are harder wearing when crawling around the floor with little ones but in both piercings on view were only allowed small studs for practical reasons incase they were to get caught and ripped out children particually seem to like pulling earrings and the such like! This is not about prejudice but practicality in the job! Certain jobs require a certain look, thats just the way it is im afraid!
I have tattoos and piercings but not on view (unless I choose for them to be) my personal preferance is to only have them on view when it is suitable, It is wrong to judge people purely on how they look but unfortunatly stereotypes do exist and we learn them subconsiously from a young age Im sure we could all give examples of lots of stereotypes blonde=ditzy red heads=firey (obviously Im not saying this is what I think!) I personally try to judge people how I find them but Im not going to lie I look at a girl walking down the street with next to nothing on and think tart or see a bloke looking abit camp and asume he's probably gay or see a huge bloke with loads of tatoo's and piercings and think he could be trouble, Im not proud of the fact but I doubt any of you could honestly say you have never ever looked at someone and made an assumption about them on their looks and the way they are acting, But I try not to let assumptions effect how I feel about or speak to said person until I have spoken to them and know what they are really like. My first impressions of my OH were not good! I thought he was a complete pr*ck but once I spoke to him I realised he wasnt and 5 years later we are still together! (bar a small break recently! )
I like people watching and trying to guess what a person is like, what job they do etc by the way they look and act, sometimes Im right sometimes Im wrong either way I know looks can be decieving and try to treat people on personal merrit and believe anyone who doesnt do this is very small minded!
Page 4 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »