View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 09:46 AM

Oh dear - dog at vet's for castration (tumour on scrotum)

Just left my eldest dog at the vets does not matter how long you have owned dogs or how many times you have left a dog for an operation it is still a very worrying time, my heart will pound every time the phone goes I know and I will be giving everyone short shrift just to get them off the phone quick in case the vet rings. :smt107
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 09:47 AM
oh big hugs Jackie - is it a routine op ??
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 10:04 AM
Well yes and no Dani, he is 7 years old and has always had a problem with his testicals because he is so well endowed they get damaged on the concrete when he sits down, anyway all this trauma had encouraged the growth of a tumour so he is going to be castrated and if needed part of the scrotum removed. Those who know me know that I am against castration for any but health reasons so I am upset about having to do it anyway and only hope it does not upset the hierarchy of my pack too much.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 10:15 AM
I'm sure he will be okay Thordell - I was worried sick when Benji was castrated and I was the same as you scared if the phone rang in case it was the vets. He was absolutely fine though and no ill effects at all
Saz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 10:19 AM
He is in good hands and am sure he will be fine, although easier said than done, he is in my thoughts
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

02-12-2005, 10:23 AM
Oh sorry to hear that J, you never get used to it I don`t think but hope he`ll be ok & home soon
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 10:26 AM
"Hug"s for you, sure he will be okay...............
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by Thordell
Well yes and no Dani, he is 7 years old and has always had a problem with his testicals because he is so well endowed they get damaged on the concrete when he sits down, anyway all this trauma had encouraged the growth of a tumour so he is going to be castrated and if needed part of the scrotum removed. Those who know me know that I am against castration for any but health reasons so I am upset about having to do it anyway and only hope it does not upset the hierarchy of my pack too much.
hi jackie,,

hope all goes well i know how worrying it is

a quick question for you,, we have found that we have the same problem with nemo i have never in all my life seen a little dog with such big testicles and they get in my poor lads way , call me stupid but i want sure if getting nemo neutered would make a difference i wasnt sure if they removed them or not
dont want my boy to have problems later in life, what would you suggest?

thanx ,, luv from kimberley and lil bean x x x x
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 11:10 AM
Saxon used to get a scraped scrotum every time he lost his coat and sometimes it would become infected, over the years it has taken its toll. I would not advise you only say as I do to all people who ask check the area every time you groom as well as the mammary strip as even males can get a problem as well as bitches. Castrating a dog removes the chance of a tumour but between 80 & 90% of the tumours removed from dogs testis are benign. I have two other intact males and have no intention of castrating them even though one of them is also on the large size.
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 11:16 AM
the problem with nemo is that his are almost hairless and dont have any protection when he is laying or sitting down, also sometimes when he walks, he will suddenly turn and lick as if something has hurt him
I mentioned it to OH and my brainless father in law made a stupid comment "that makes for a good breeding dog"
maybe it does but as i know nothing about breeding dogs and dont have another patterdale i wouldnt dream of mating nemo my bichon is spayed so he does not have to be done but if there is a chance of it causing probs for my baby i would rather it was done when he is young
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >