register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What do you think of the Grand National?
I think it should stay but changes need to be made 70 56.45%
I think it should stay with no changes 8 6.45%
I bet on it 16 12.90%
I don't bet on it 29 23.39%
I don't care one way or the other. 1 0.81%
I think it should be abolished 43 34.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 19 of 29 « First < 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 > Last »
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Aha!! I just knew it would be soooo different if the shoe was on the other foot. I'll take it then that what you do with your dog "acceptable risk" Just like those who own Race Horses.

No, to me it doesnt matter whether a Horse is used in sport, not if its owner has purchased it for that reason, not at all.
You are failing to see the point. Life is full of risks, some things have to be done to live a decent life. Those risks are needed, but some risks are taken needlessly, that arent essential part of life. Animals need exercise, they dont need to race though, and certainly not in such a dangerous race. The racehorse owners do put their horses at great risk.

Doesnt it bother you that horse die in the name of sport? Just for money? With no benefit to the horse?

You still havent answered why it is worth the risk...
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
You are failing to see the point. Life is full of risks, some things have to be done to live a decent life. Those risks are needed, but some risks are taken needlessly, that arent essential part of life. Animals need exercise, they dont need to race though, and certainly not in such a dangerous race. The racehorse owners do put their horses at great risk.

Doesnt it bother you that horse die in the name of sport? Just for money? With no benefit to the horse?

You still havent answered why it is worth the risk...
LB, with respect, you are missing the point.

You say some risks are needed and some are taken needlessly.

Animals need exercise, I agree, but you knowingly put your pet dog in a situation that could be very dangerous for him, why? Because its better for you. You know he is uncomfortable with it, you know he has been attacked or whatever, he bolted one time that could very easily have ended in tragedy for you both, yet you continue to do this, is that your definition of a "needed risk?" Im not being harsh, its entirely your choice what you do with your dog, but then its the same for Horse owners, they are aware of the risks, but take the chance.

Yes it bothers me when Horses get killed, but as I said to you, I accept that with the sport, like I do with any other sport that may carry risks, or other pastimes/hobbies I may choose to favour.

You would be hard pushed to keep a thoroughbred as a pet, most are wound up coiled springs, they live and thrive on running.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 01:00 PM
I probably am a selfish person, I bought my dogs for company for myself, I don't show them, though I am aiming to show my next pup, I don't do agility or htm or such, though I have nothing against any of this at all. I don't really agree with the passing on of animals, though I can understand there is times it has to happen... I have had to rehome twice and it tore my heart apart
I am uneasy with the GN more now after seeing the race, a horse so exhausted he was showered with buckets of water, he couldn't breathe and was dehydrated... the jockey said he was worried, but was banned for excessive use of the whip?? Two horses died, Dooley's Gate from a broken back, his picture in every paper, bless him... but his death and the other before him, never mentioned by the broadcasters.
Animals die every day, fact of life, whether in the name of sport or from accidents inside or outside the home. I just felt very uneasy after watching saturday's race...
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 01:19 PM

Animals need exercise, I agree, but you knowingly put your pet dog in a situation that could be very dangerous for him, why? Because its better for you. You know he is uncomfortable with it, you know he has been attacked or whatever, he bolted one time that could very easily have ended in tragedy for you both, yet you continue to do this, is that your definition of a "needed risk?" Im not being harsh, its entirely your choice what you do with your dog, but then its the same for Horse owners, they are aware of the risks, but take the chance.

Yes it bothers me when Horses get killed, but as I said to you, I accept that with the sport, like I do with any other sport that may carry risks, or other pastimes/hobbies I may choose to favour.

You would be hard pushed to keep a thoroughbred as a pet, most are wound up coiled springs, they live and thrive on running.
That just about sums up why I am so against horse races like the GN. Horses die for no better reason than the hedonistic, profit-seeking motives of selfish human beings.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 01:23 PM

Life has risks, everything we do has risks but be asses the risks
I cross the road every day - and people die crossing the road but I asses the risk as being small enough
I dont cross the motorway because the risk is too great

With the GN imo the risks are too great, a death isnt a freak out of the normal thing but it is quite commonplace
So I find that risk too great and I cannot understand why horse lovers would put their horses at such a great risk

With the number of deaths we should be looking at making things more safe - if it was the people dying we would be making things safer

In dog agility I have seen many thousands of runs and have not seen a single dog killed and none injured more than a slip that had them limp about 2 steps
But even so there is constantly talks about how to make it even more safer, contacts are there to prevent dogs jumping off obsticles, there are alwas discusions about jump heights, angles into the tyre jump
If in areas equipment cannot be secured it is not used

so why cannot they work on making things safer for horses?

- I have ridden a race horse when I was younger - and loads of other horses, not one of them needed whipping

Originally Posted by Petticoat View Post
I probably am a selfish person, I bought my dogs for company for myself, I don't show them, though I am aiming to show my next pup, I don't do agility or htm or such, though I have nothing against any of this at all. I don't really agree with the passing on of animals, though I can understand there is times it has to happen... I have had to rehome twice and it tore my heart apart
I am uneasy with the GN more now after seeing the race, a horse so exhausted he was showered with buckets of water, he couldn't breathe and was dehydrated... the jockey said he was worried, but was banned for excessive use of the whip?? Two horses died, Dooley's Gate from a broken back, his picture in every paper, bless him... but his death and the other before him, never mentioned by the broadcasters.
Animals die every day, fact of life, whether in the name of sport or from accidents inside or outside the home. I just felt very uneasy after watching saturday's race...
Totaly agree, it made you feel uneasy because it was wrong and something needs to be done to fix that
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
That just about sums up why I am so against horse races like the GN. Horses die for no better reason than the hedonistic, profit-seeking motives of selfish human beings.
That would be great, I mean for me to profit from it.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 05:57 PM
My God!! I don't know wether to be amused or insulted.

[QUOTE]Guide and assistance dogs dont save lives Azz, I cant imagine why you would think that? They allow people more freedom and allow other people more time for themselves, nothing more. Some alert dogs may save lives I grant you, but even then they are an "extra" such people are rarely alone anyway.

Lol, You'll have to tell my family that me having my poor abused service dog, gives them more time to themselves...I mean, more time than they already had. You'll have to wait until they get back from their holliday though.

Which begs the question, who's babysitting me then?

Whichever way you look at it, they were bred to do a job, serve a purpose for humans, and many, will be got rid of, rehomed or whatever once their usefulness is over.
Without meaning to argue, your argument for horse racing is that they're animals bred to do a job, so what's the difference?.

You don't think blind people, or other disabled people wouldn't kill themselves, or get killed if it wasn't for the help and companionship of their 'service' dogs?
I'm sorry Azz I'm sure you meant it well but, that has to be one of the most miss-guided, (no pun intended) ignorant statements I've come across in a long while...and trust me, its got a lot of competition.

I think service dogs save lives in more ways than the obvious
I don't know about service dogs saving people from being driven to suicide, but if there's one that could save me from being driven to distraction...I'd like one now please.

Well did they before then? Sorry Im not aware of any massive drop in suicides from blind or disabled people due to the fact they have a dog Azz. Nor and decrease in numbers getting killed either, maybe I missed it?
Neither am I. I know I didn't/don't feel that way. I'll have to ask my non service dog owning partly/totally blind friends if they've contemplated throwing themselves off the nearest bridge lately.

Can't believe I'm actually having this conversation...Now I'll let you both get back to talking about me and others like me, like I'm not in the room again.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 06:03 PM
[QUOTE=tazer;2233591]My God!! I don't know wether to be amused or insulted.

Guide and assistance dogs dont save lives Azz, I cant imagine why you would think that? They allow people more freedom and allow other people more time for themselves, nothing more. Some alert dogs may save lives I grant you, but even then they are an "extra" such people are rarely alone anyway.

Lol, You'll have to tell my family that me having my poor abused service dog, gives them more time to themselves...I mean, more time than they already had. You'll have to wait until they get back from their holliday though.

Which begs the question, who's babysitting me then?

Without meaning to argue, your argument for horse racing is that they're animals bred to do a job, so what's the difference?.

I'm sorry Azz I'm sure you meant it well but, that has to be one of the most miss-guided, (no pun intended) ignorant statements I've come across in a long while...and trust me, its got a lot of competition.

I don't know about service dogs saving people from being driven to suicide, but if there's one that could save me from being driven to distraction...I'd like one now please.

Neither am I. I know I didn't/don't feel that way. I'll have to ask my non service dog owning partly/totally blind friends if they've contemplated throwing themselves off the nearest bridge lately.

Can't believe I'm actually having this conversation...Now I'll let you both get back to talking about me and others like me, like I'm not in the room again.
No difference to me Tazer, I think service dogs are bred to serve, Race Horses bred to race. I was stating as much.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

12-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
I don't think it's misguided at all.

Humans are social creatures, and the companionship of a pet should not be underestimated, especially for those with disabilities, IMO.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 06:29 PM
[QUOTE=Borderdawn;2233599]
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
My God!! I don't know wether to be amused or insulted.

No difference to me Tazer, I think service dogs are bred to serve, Race Horses bred to race. I was stating as much.
Yep I'm in total agreement as well.
Page 19 of 29 « First < 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 > Last »