Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2009, 07:08 PM
I'm glad you've posted this.

So how did Zena get heat stroke then? Also, is it not worrying that the vet never diagnosed it in her? that's quite scary.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2009, 07:12 PM
Brilliant piece H.

as temperatues are set to reach 30 degrees next week its worth knowing the signs just in case.

thank you.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2009, 07:15 PM
She got heat stroke by lying out in the garden in the sun instead of her usual shady spot in the afternoon but only for a short time because I then noticed it and moved her. 2 hours later, although it was cloudy it was quite muggy, we met another puppy, they ran around for say 5 minutes, she must have got hot, on top of her time of sitting out in it. Nothing showed for a further 2 1/2 hours when I took her to the vets because of her panting, rapid breathing, dilerium. This was too early for the vet to see ALL the symptoms when taking bloods etc. but by the time we got back home and went to put her to bed it got MUCH, much worse, the bright red tongue, she couldn't move her rear end, she was panting more than she had ever done at the vets, and she was almost going into coma, only the wet towels stopped that and the drugs she had been given, because she was given the SAME drugs as if she had heatstroke anyway - thankfully! I NEVER take my dogs out in the car in this heat, and I would NEVER dream of leaving them in a car either, I'm not stupid!

The vet only agreed with me in her subsequent telephone call the night after this attack, when I told her what had gone on back at home, because her temperature had not reached the critical stage AT the vets for her to think it was heatstroke, although from what I saw back at home, I think it had by then!

Edited to add: Not only was I totally unaware of the consequences/symptoms of this heatstroke before this happened, but I was also totally unaware that PUPPIES are far more susceptible, that came as a surprise!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2009, 07:19 PM
I see. Thanks for explaining it. It's useful to hear how these things can happen as you do just assume that it's only due to lack of ventilation etc.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2009, 07:22 PM
It was a totally normal type day around the house, just that the catching her sitting IN the sun for those few minutes, plus the over exertion playing with another puppy of the same age, be it for only say 5/10 minutes NO longer, it just goes to show how very careful we have to be with youngsters.She could be dead if I hadn't been so on the ball so very early with this I think.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Woody never lies in the sun but he charges about on hot days for hours. We generally take him early or very late when it's really hot and he always gets a swim, but it's still got me really worried about how easy it can happen.
Merz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Thank you for that information and so glad Zena is ok now
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks H, it is worrying how quickly it can happen.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the info Helena - I didn't realise it could happen so quick.
Just wanted to ask anyone - Do black dogs get hotter because of their colour?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Hi Tillymint, I think that's a definite isn't it, coz black attracks the heat, it doesn't reflect it like white does it?

I now have my air con unit all rigged up and switched on, all doors and windows shut, and believe me, when I just walked outside to let them have a dunk in a freshly filled pool, it was like stepping into an oven out there!!!! Be careful!
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >