Our sister sites
Our sister sites
snert
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-09-2006, 09:33 PM

1st season

How long does her season last for?

My little Missi has been spotting for 4 days now, but she was cleaning her "parts" more often than usual for a couple of days prior to us finding spots.

Missi is a mini Schnauzer and I think she's a little confused about the situation as she's become very clingy.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-09-2006, 10:39 PM
Hi Snert Missis may have been licking herself before coming into season, she will have a coloured discharge for around 8 days (though this can vary from bitch to bitch as does the length of season) ...the season usually lasts about three weeks but say four to be on the safe side.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2006, 10:46 PM
The other thing that some people don't realise, is that they are still in season - and often peaking - when they stop bleeding so that is NOT the end of the season and special care must be taken to avoid "accidents". The number of people with unwanted litters who I have met who all said they thought she had "finished" as she wasn't bleeding anymore...... without giving "too much information" the canine female reproductive system is not like ours!!!
snert
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the reply Mini and Deccy

I marked the calendar when I first noticed the spotting, so working the rest out now should be easier.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2006, 01:21 AM
My bitch is having her first season too, at first their was very little blood at all, after day 5 she got a lil bit heavier (but not much), on day 10 she appears to have suddenly stopped bleeding (today will be day 13) I am assuming this is a sign that she will soon be at mating stage as I know it is far too early for her to have finished.

Does that sound about right to everyone else? and can anyone tell me after the mating stage if she will start bleeding again before the season ends?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-09-2006, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by angelmist View Post
My bitch is having her first season too, at first their was very little blood at all, after day 5 she got a lil bit heavier (but not much), on day 10 she appears to have suddenly stopped bleeding (today will be day 13) I am assuming this is a sign that she will soon be at mating stage as I know it is far too early for her to have finished.

Does that sound about right to everyone else? and can anyone tell me after the mating stage if she will start bleeding again before the season ends?
Hi Angelmist as I said in the post above the length and timing of the different stages of a season vary from bitch to bitch, some bleed a lot, some even bleed for the length of the season, some hardly bleed at all so there is no right and wrong. In general if a bitch stops bleeding around day 14 she doesn't start bleeding again.

The best indication a bitch has finished her season is the shrinking of the vulva but it is best to keep your bitch well away from dogs for 28 days.

I would recommend anyone with a bitch buys 'The Book of the Bitch. by Evans and White £10 from Amazon. It explains everything about the oestrus in great detail .
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2006, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Angelmist
I would recommend anyone with a bitch buys 'The Book of the Bitch. by Evans and White £10 from Amazon. It explains everything about the oestrus in great detail .
I have that book only a friend has borrowed it, otherwise I would be reading & re-reading it till I knew it inside out.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Oooh Good post, I cant work out if Roxy is coming into season or not, shes coming up to 8 months of age and is looking a bit depressed (which my OH then jokes she takes after me ) It does look a bit swollen, but we've had no spotting yet. What can I expect to happen???

Cant wait for it to be over and get her done though, her urine infection is annoying me now