View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

16-03-2010, 02:59 PM
What about retrievers? In none of your pictures is the dog chasing a ball. I will fight tooth and nail to retain that simple pleasure for Jake.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by rich c View Post
What about retrievers? In none of your pictures is the dog chasing a ball. I will fight tooth and nail to retain that simple pleasure for Jake.
Well then in that case it could be up to you to walk your dog on private land, we don't have the right to walkt the dogs where we do, but we do have the priveldge too.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I've been thinking about this today, especially when I was walking my dogs, everytime I walk them we have to pass a large dog, bull mastiff cross Rottie, who was brought for a gaurd dog for the owners bikes, this dog use to be walked for about twenty minutes a day and was friendly to both dogs and people, his walks have now stopped, everytime I walk past him I do wonder whether he will break out, as he is showing signs of severe boundry aggression, to both dogs and people walking past, including children, the dog is always in the garden, and every now and then you hear something like 'shut the **** up' to the dog when your walking past, you never see anyone in the garden, and if he wanted to jump I'm sure he would, and I'm also sure that he would attack, although I'm not sure whether it would be dogs, cats or people that he does, as each one gets a equally aggressive reaction walking past, a law like dogs wearing muzzles might mean that in cases like this the dog owner actually gets done when a dog hurts another one, and it would be easier to be brought to court, and a law like this might really only affect those with dangerous dogs, well hopefully. But apart from that I have some pics of mine in muzzles, to show that they are not bothered, and IMO if someone assumes that a dog is dangerous just because they are wearing a muzzle then that person does not understand dogs, body language gives a much better indicator.

With the right type of muzzles a dog can still pant no problem, the fabric ones are at best useless, at worse dangerous, as dogs can still bite through them, but also can't pant in the properly, so it can cause the to over heat, which espcailly in the summer could be very dangerous.

Can still play with children,

Can still drink,

Can still run and have a good time

And again can still be a childs friend.

So I don't think that a law of this type would be the be all and end all for dogs and their owners, I do believe that owners will be more upset about it then dogs, but that they will adapt eventually, and I also believe that dog owners are currently lucky as to all the places that we have to walk our dogs, I will not be the biggest fan of muzzled dogs, but if dogs end up in rescues because of having to wear muzzles then are they the best owners to begin with that they would dump their pets for such a reason? And there is plenty of private areas where dogs can be walked that their owners get permission from land owners to walk their dogs, and being private land the dogs shouldn't have to be muzzled if such a thing passed, and people who worry about their dogs natural behavior i.e. retrievers could still have the choice to go to these areas, but tbh I don't see this rule being inforced, but it could be mentioned in dog attacks to other animals and people, as the owner would then be breaking the law, and even if its dog on dog the aggresior should still be prosaqueted for breaking at least one law
I personally don't have a problem with the muzzle themselves. As you say, most dogs will adapt to wearing them. But to me it is the principal I'm against...the idea that the anti-dog bandwagon have won yet again. The majority of dogs in this country are good tempered and will not bite a person in their lifetime. I don't see why all the good natured, well trained dogs should be punished for a crime that they are highly unlikely to ever commit.

I am pretty sure that most dog attacks occur on private property (peoples homes) anyway. All the fatal attacks of the last few years that I can think of have. So again, what will muzzling dogs in public places do? the irresponsible individuals who's dogs are aggressive will be the ones who do NOT muzzle their dogs, therefore I don't think a reduction in attacks in public places will be seen at all. Basically, if this ever did come to force, it would be yet another failure of legislation.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I personally don't have a problem with the muzzle themselves. As you say, most dogs will adapt to wearing them. But to me it is the principal I'm against...the idea that the anti-dog bandwagon have won yet again. The majority of dogs in this country are good tempered and will not bite a person in their lifetime. I don't see why all the good natured, well trained dogs should be punished for a crime that they are highly unlikely to ever commit.

I am pretty sure that most dog attacks occur on private property (peoples homes) anyway. All the fatal attacks of the last few years that I can think of have. So again, what will muzzling dogs in public places do? the irresponsible individuals who's dogs are aggressive will be the ones who do NOT muzzle their dogs, therefore I don't think a reduction in attacks in public places will be seen at all. Basically, if this ever did come to force, it would be yet another failure of legislation.
I don't agree with the princeaple either, nothing really works in the uk, but then with the people in chare what do you expect but we are privelleged, some countries have leash laws, and if it came to the point where its either keep dogs onlead apart from in certain areas, or keep them muzzled apart from in certain areas I know which one I'll pick, and what I think my dogs would pick too something like this wouldn't work at all, but if it came to it, well I don't think it would be the end of the world, and I think that higher people may listen more if people talk about it resonably, and when people realise that it wont work well maybe then we could offer up suggestions, but some people are power crazy, I don't think that mine would ever hurt anybody, and I think its going to be totally worthless and impossible to enforce, but if it does come through it may make it easier to prosequte irresponsible dog owners in court who have allowed their dogs to attack in public, of course it will do nothing for the attacks in the home, but what could be done about them?
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 03:25 PM
sounds like hes a warden and finds the job soul destroying lolllllll
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 03:39 PM
I agree he's a saddo and USED to own
a springer spaniel so he says
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 08:05 PM
I don't think anyone has answered my query about whether wearing muzzles would have any effect on how normal, friendly, sociable dogs interact with one another?
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

16-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I don't think anyone has answered my query about whether wearing muzzles would have any effect on how normal, friendly, sociable dogs interact with one another?
Let's hope we never find out...
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
?In my experience no it doesn't have any effect they adapt, just like dogs learn bite inhibitian dogs learn not to stick their heads at other dogs too fast lol, and dogs can still smell in muzzles so can carry out the same greetings, and don't forget dog behaviour is complex, dogs communicate with other in many ways, and can still do so in a muzzle
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Duplicate post
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >