Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2012, 10:03 PM

The most 'indestructible' dog toy?

Just been to stay with my sis and her adorable SBT. Munch sees off all toys within minutes. My neice bought him a 'noose' made of thick ship's rope. He dismantled and chewed it to bits in about 3 minutes flat! They give him new tennis balls just for a laugh really - they last SECONDS!

I was going to get him a 'pheasant' (my dog loves hers) but they laughed and said not to waste my money.

I would REALLY like to know of some dog toy that is tough (doesn't have to be absolutely indestructible but just last more than ten minutes!) as I am going back there in a couple of weeks and would love to present him with a new toy.

Any suggestions? Oh and preferably that I could buy online and have delivered to them/him.

*I bought him some of the biggest pig's ears and he consumed them within seconds (then waited patiently while my min pin chewed hers and then got bored before consuming hers as well)
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2012, 10:05 PM
Boomer ball! Word of warning though, it's an outdoor toy. Indoors it would destroy everything
SuperflyBadger
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Kongs and Stag Bars!!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2012, 11:19 PM
Oh he's got a Kong! But is a strange dog - doesn't like peanut butter! His Kong looks pristine and new - my little min pin's one looks on its last legs all chewed and roughed up and horrid really (I've bought her a new shiny black one!)

I saw those Stag Bars in Pets World (?) can't remember the name now but it is a HUGE pet shop here in Bracknell. I couldn't believe they were REAL as they looked so perfect, smooth and all that? Then I thought I'd better ask my sis if he was allowed them.

Off now to Amazon to research Boomer Ball!

*He really is a GREAT dog. The best trained dog I've ever seen. I wondered why they'd gone for a Staffy (they've never had a dog before). Bro in law was a senior SOCA for the met. He is a BIG fan of them and in total agreement with the deed, not breed stuff. Ole Munch would be the BEST ambassador for SBTs ever! So well trained, hardly ever leashed, puts my dog to shame but sleeps with them and is SUCH a softie with the family (he reminded me of NANA from Peter Pan when he was with tiny Bella) I am totally smitten with him.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2012, 12:00 AM
Gough nuts, there is even a guarantee, the only thing my GSD has not destroyed. (yet)
nickynockynoono
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-08-2012, 12:22 AM
Jolly ball. It's actually a horse ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgBHo2wV_34

The one in the video is large with handle. There's another one with rope through it. A smaller one may be more suitable. I'll have a look and see if I can find what it's called.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2012, 12:24 AM
My brother's staffy X is the same, nothing lasts for more than a few minutes
nickynockynoono
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-08-2012, 12:35 AM
Here you go:

http://www.equestrianclearance.com/_...x.html#gallery

George has the romp and roll, the tug and toss and the bounce and play, which is probably the better size for indoor play. All ours are nearly 3 years old, well worn but still going strong. Oh, the teaser ball is much harder than the others.

I bought one on line, then found that Chobham Rider sells them. Not too far from Bracknell, if you want to save p&p , as they are heavy.

http://www.chobhamrider.com/
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-08-2012, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Gough nuts, there is even a guarantee, the only thing my GSD has not destroyed. (yet)
Another vote for the Goughnut, survived three Staffie's and a Tibetan Mastiff.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by nickynockynoono View Post
Jolly ball. It's actually a horse ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgBHo2wV_34

The one in the video is large with handle. There's another one with rope through it. A smaller one may be more suitable. I'll have a look and see if I can find what it's called.
It took quite a few months (though I think that's only because I limited access to walks only), but Kiki destroyed both of hers
The toughest toys I've found were actually ones from Poundland! They do a range of rope dog toys - rectangular bars, 4"-ish balls and the usual tuggies. They've all lasted years, even being left down 24/7 and gnawed on by both dogs. If they look a bit grotty, I chuck them inside a dog bed cover when I do a washload of doggy things and they come out clean again. They were a great buy
The other toys I've found to last are the stuffing-free soft toys, e.g. Skinneeez, they have the odd hole in them but as there's no stuffing inside the dogs don't get overly into ripping them apart. They don't play with them loads though, not as much as the rope toys.

For the Kong, try alternative fillings! Wet food like Naturediet could be used (just reduce the daily meal a little to account for the extra calories), cream cheese can be a hit, I often blend up white fish with some veggies to make a less fattening filling (I'll often freeze it to make it more challenging too but start off with an easier Kong to get him interested). Mushed up banana, natural yoghurt, in warm weather you could freeze a homemade stock to make a Kongsicle for him to eat (maybe out in the garden so it doesn't melt in the house!). You could make a bit of a gift out of it, a Kong recipe book for his owners to follow
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >