Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 05:17 PM

Waterloo Road - BBC1 - Status Dog Storyline

Apologies if this has be done already and I've missed it....

In the first episode of a new series of BBC1's Waterloo Road, a Rottweiler was shown to be used as a status dog by a young boy at the school.

At first, the storyline made me feel really uncomfortable (still does and I've just watched it), but by the end of the programme it has a serious message attached to it - treat a dog in such a despicable manner and it can and will have consequences. In this case, the dog was taken to be destroyed after the boy used it as a status dog by running riot through the school with the dog, threatening people.

It also had a different tone to it at the same time - the character of the boy had issues, but it appeared that he did, deep down, love the dog, even though he used it in such a way and he has now realised the disastrous impact his actions have had on the dog.

One of the teachers in the programme told the boy that this is what happens when you treat a dog like this - it's not the dog's fault. I'm glad that point has been made.

However, that said, I don't like the fact that have chosen a storyline like this as I think it'll just feed the anti-dog brigade. I would've preferred them not do have done such a storyline, but they have and it at least has a serious underlying message attached to it regarding dogs used as status symbols.

What are your opinions on this?

Watch for yourself here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode..._6_Episode_11/

Or on BBC iPlayer on the television if you have it.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 06:20 PM
I felt the same as you and I wondered where the storyline would go. But I was pleased that the teacher had a small bandage indicating a small bite and that the message was clear. You are responsible for your dog and for his behaviour. Make him a weapon and you sign his death warrant.

Also the Shepherd was shown in a very positive light to be playful and not aggressive despite the boys provoking him. The scene were he went to the loo did make me smile!