Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2008, 06:40 AM

On GMTV News just

Watched with interest as they reported...

The SBT is the most UNWANTED dog in Britian

The rescue centre's are full with unwanted SBT.
RSPCA officals report, they stated that they are asking people to think before buying and asking them to keep them
An RSPCA Offical stated.....they have had bad press, yet they make wonderful family pets.

How sad..............for this breed
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2008, 06:50 AM
Typical example of lies, damn lies and statistics..... it's a popular breed, if they looked at the numbers going into rescue as a percentage of those bred (although not all would be registered) they would probably be overtaken by other breeds. A high proportion of the population of one type might indicate a problem in that type not just numbers per se.
They should be saying that people thinking of ANY kind of dog (ped and non-ped) should think before buying a dog, surely ......
It wouldn't be newsworthy though
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2008, 06:54 AM
Well put.................agree any dog needs thought before getting.
When we went to get Dillon from the Dogs home, SBT's and BC's seemed to dominate.......mostly all youngsters too
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2008, 07:03 AM
What they really, really should be saying is think before you breed them.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2008, 07:14 AM
That wouldn't work with many, if there is a "market" they they will breed to "supply" it regardless of anything else. If everyone bought from reputable sources the less reputable would find that they couldn't sell them and (I hope) would stop producing them.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2008, 07:21 AM
There is a rescue crisis with SBT's at the minute and yep they are full to bursting point with them.It's very sad when there are more staffords in rescue than any other breed.
It really angers me that there are people out there that just breed regardless,putting more strain on rescues.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2008, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by Deccy View Post
That wouldn't work with many, if there is a "market" they they will breed to "supply" it regardless of anything else. If everyone bought from reputable sources the less reputable would find that they couldn't sell them and (I hope) would stop producing them.
yes, thinking about it, that is true, the bsb are only supplying demand. I suppose what has made it worse though is that the demand has been drying up but the bsb haven't yet realised and are still churning out pups.

So, really, it needs action from both angles.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-06-2008, 07:32 AM
I think its really sad and people should really do their research into what ever breed they are thinking of buying before getting it, all dogs are hard work especially as pups.
I think staffords have the worst of it at the moment because of all the press will rotties be next ?
I would think the problems with BC's as YS says is because they need work and lots of walking and mental stimulation when people find this out not realising they are high energy working dog they can't be bothered to put the time in.
I also feel strongly about these pet shops you find in garden centres they should be banned for lots of reasons. I can't keep my mouth shut when I go in them so we tend to stay out of them.
pinklizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2008, 08:54 AM
After working in a large rescue centre, I know that this is 100% true, especially in urban areas. Our daily intake was 70% Staffies and SBT-crosses, GSDs and Rotties coming a close second. Typically these dogs don't cope well in kennels either
In most cases, they were strays although we had large numbers handed in by the owners as they didn't realise how much exercise and stimulation they needed-leaving them home alone for a working day which resulted in destructive behaviour, barking when left alone. Having said that we had a couple given in because they 'were no good for fighting'
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2008, 09:00 AM
How sad for all the staffies in rescues.
How sad for the human race we have so many idiots.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >