View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2015, 10:50 PM
What a terrible lot for you both to be going through. It sounds terrifying.

Can you get or can you borrow a large crate? I'm sure you don't want to put Harvey in a cage, but if it can help you keep him safe, it might be something to consider. All mine bar one have been crate trained, and for the little one, it has been a great thing indeed. She is terrified of fireworks, but if we set the crate up for her she goes in and feels much safer. Dogs are den animals, so sometimes being in their own, safe, enclosed space is very calming. If you make it nice, welcoming, safe and near you, you can put cushions in so he won't be able to hurt himself, and he'll still be right next to you. It's just a thought... perhaps something to discuss with your vet. I hope that goes well!
Woody
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2015, 11:03 PM
Just thinking about Harvey and wondering if he has a harness to wear, may give you something to get a hold of if he has another seizure.
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-03-2015, 01:23 AM
Originally Posted by Strangechilde View Post
What a terrible lot for you both to be going through. It sounds terrifying.

Can you get or can you borrow a large crate? I'm sure you don't want to put Harvey in a cage, but if it can help you keep him safe, it might be something to consider. All mine bar one have been crate trained, and for the little one, it has been a great thing indeed. She is terrified of fireworks, but if we set the crate up for her she goes in and feels much safer. Dogs are den animals, so sometimes being in their own, safe, enclosed space is very calming. If you make it nice, welcoming, safe and near you, you can put cushions in so he won't be able to hurt himself, and he'll still be right next to you. It's just a thought... perhaps something to discuss with your vet. I hope that goes well!
Hi Strangechild

That's a good idea and one that I have already talked over with his vet as he was cage trained as a puppy and I do still have his crate in the shed.

His vet didn't think it was a good idea because if he has a grand mal seizure while in it he could catch and rip out a claw without knowing it and could hurt himself as his grand mal was very violent and legs thrashing about.

I thought like you it may give him a sense of his own space and feeling safe but the chance he could hurt himself has put me off that.
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-03-2015, 01:26 AM
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
Just thinking about Harvey and wondering if he has a harness to wear, may give you something to get a hold of if he has another seizure.
Hi woody

I will ask his vet about that tomorrow, he has not worn a harness before but it would make controlling him during a seizure easier and safer for him.
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-03-2015, 01:32 AM
I am sleeping on the floor tonite next to his bed in he front room and he has just spent he last couple of hours fast asleep laying half on me and half off.

He had one front leg curled under himself, the other was across my tummy and his head was on my chest....

Soooo cute, it's like he needs to get as close to me as possible.

I can only type this now as he has changed position and curled into a ball. My arm was going numb too.

Can't sleep though
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2015, 03:24 AM
Oh, boy. You've got to try to get some rest and relax. No point in you depriving yourself of sleep. It won't help your sweet boy. You're both being so very strong. I have no advice, but you're in my thoughts.
ndidi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2015, 06:56 AM
Hi
I have been lurking and reading all the updates about Harvey and wanted to send both of you a hug and to let you know that I have my fingers crossed for this to be something that can be quickly brought under control.
I didn't post before as I have no experience of seizure.

But would it help if you put a bell on Harvey's collar that way it might wake you up if he had a fit. Not sure if it would help you with getting some sleep or not but thought it wouldn't hurt to suggest it.
(((HUGS)))

Ndidi ( me) Hovis and Ellen ( my dogs)
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2015, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by KennyUK View Post
I am sleeping on the floor tonite next to his bed in he front room and he has just spent he last couple of hours fast asleep laying half on me and half off.

He had one front leg curled under himself, the other was across my tummy and his head was on my chest....

Soooo cute, it's like he needs to get as close to me as possible.

I can only type this now as he has changed position and curled into a ball. My arm was going numb too.

Can't sleep though
Maybe you could do something to make yourself more comfortable downstairs? Maybe one of those inflatable mattresses-- Argos sells them; they're not very expensive. We have a couple for emergency guests and they're not bad at all. I worry about you being under so much stress. You really need your rest. You should probably take some vitamin C too, and treat yourself with some delicious fruit and nice food next time you're out shopping. You know how stress can take its toll on your body and the last thing you need is getting sick right now, so please look after yourself! We are all rooting for you and Harvey!
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-03-2015, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Oh, boy. You've got to try to get some rest and relax. No point in you depriving yourself of sleep. It won't help your sweet boy. You're both being so very strong. I have no advice, but you're in my thoughts.

Hi mjfromga

Thanks for the post, it's just lovely that people care

I managed to get a few hours sleep and I will be taking a nap shortly. It's not that I don't want to sleep, it's just that I can't.

Insomnia is one of the symptoms of my medical condition.

Hopefully I will get a few hours in a bit.
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-03-2015, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by ndidi View Post
Hi
I have been lurking and reading all the updates about Harvey and wanted to send both of you a hug and to let you know that I have my fingers crossed for this to be something that can be quickly brought under control.
I didn't post before as I have no experience of seizure.

But would it help if you put a bell on Harvey's collar that way it might wake you up if he had a fit. Not sure if it would help you with getting some sleep or not but thought it wouldn't hurt to suggest it.
(((HUGS)))

Ndidi ( me) Hovis and Ellen ( my dogs)
Hi Ndidi

Thanks for the post and the kind thoughts.

I like the bell idea, I have to go shopping tomorrow so I will pop to the pet store and see what they have.

Great idea....

Thanks
Page 16 of 62 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 > Last »