Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
I read somewhere, can't remember where sorry, that long coats actually protect some dogs from the heat somehow. I presume it wasn't double coats like newfies etc ..or how it worked. Something to do with reflecting it...I don't know.....about as helpful as a chocolate tea pot.
Have heard similar, although in weather as hot as its been think its only fair to keep mine short. She definitely looks cooler that way
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Vicky88 View Post
They look cute. This is Gizmo Holly's friend with a short cut. He is of course a Shih Tzu.
Gizmo is gorge Lacey is short like that to at the mo Just wouldn't chance doing it myself!!!
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2013, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
Have heard similar, although in weather as hot as its been think its only fair to keep mine short. She definitely looks cooler that way
Hi the only way I could cool down my Afghans is run a bath,get a bath sheet wring it out not too much,then drape over dog and tie underneath,usually it at least cools them down and on a hot day have about 3 bath sheets on the go.Gemini54
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2013, 07:09 AM
Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
Hi the only way I could cool down my Afghans is run a bath,get a bath sheet wring it out not too much,then drape over dog and tie underneath,usually it at least cools them down and on a hot day have about 3 bath sheets on the go.Gemini54
This maybe a stupid question but aren't Afghan hounds one of the type of breed whose coat has developed to keep them cool? I know an Afghan over here won't have been used to she heat of their original homeland but aren't they better physically designed to cope with the heat?
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2013, 02:45 PM
This maybe a stupid question but aren't Afghan hounds one of the type of breed whose coat has developed to keep them cool? I know an Afghan over here won't have been used to she heat of their original homeland but aren't they better physically designed to cope with the heat?
Hi They and Saluki,were originally desert.but both of my Afghans suffered from the heat would do anything to get out of the heat and find a shady spot,unlike some dogs you cant clip them back as there coat doesnt come back and it texture is not silky,one of my Afghans when I took her for a walk,we were having a very hot summer,but used to get up at the crack of dawn,we used to walk around a lake,I stopped to chat,and next thing splash there was my Afghan right in the middle,it took some doing to get her out of the lake.Gemini54
Dotty08
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-07-2013, 03:46 PM
I have turned my grand daughters plastic sand pit into a doggy paddling pool
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2013, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
Hi They and Saluki,were originally desert.but both of my Afghans suffered from the heat would do anything to get out of the heat and find a shady spot,unlike some dogs you cant clip them back as there coat doesnt come back and it texture is not silky,one of my Afghans when I took her for a walk,we were having a very hot summer,but used to get up at the crack of dawn,we used to walk around a lake,I stopped to chat,and next thing splash there was my Afghan right in the middle,it took some doing to get her out of the lake.Gemini54
Haha...I took Remus and Tonks further up the canal today to try to get him away from the area where he keeps cutting his paws. They had a great time and at one point he did such a big jump into the water that he almost reached the other bank! He landed with snug splash, realised the water was deeper and he couldn't touch the bottom, and then did a very gangly uncoordinated doggy paddle back to me with a slightly panicked look on his face. It didn't stop him from leaping in two minutes later though. He absolutely loves the water and I've never known a lurcher to like it quite so much as him! He sprints up and down the canal with a huge smile on is face!
Dotty08
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-07-2013, 09:44 PM
Haha...I took Remus and Tonks further up the canal today to try to get him away from the area where he keeps cutting his paws. They had a great time and at one point he did such a big jump into the water that he almost reached the other bank! He landed with snug splash, realised the water was deeper and he couldn't touch the bottom, and then did a very gangly uncoordinated doggy paddle back to me with a slightly panicked look on his face. It didn't stop him from leaping in two minutes later though. He absolutely loves the water and I've never known a lurcher to like it quite so much as him! He sprints up and down the canal with a huge smile on is face!
Lol sounds like they really having fun cooling off
Dotty08
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by Vicky88 View Post
They look cute. This is Gizmo Holly's friend with a short cut. He is of course a Shih Tzu.
Sooooooo adorable and looking smart
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4