Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 11:13 AM

Dogs on trains

Me and Ted are off to the caravan in a week (can't wait ) and while i'm there i would like to do a walk along the coast that i've been told is a nice. I'm not sure how long it will take me but probably a few hours so i'm thinking the best option would be to drive to the where i want to finish and get the train back to the start and then doing the walk which would mean taking Ted with me.

I've never been on a train with Ted so i just wanted to check that i can take him on any train or do different companies have different rules? The train should be Arriva train Wales or thats what it has always been when i've taken the train from Aber. Should i go to the ticket office and check before i go and do i have to pay for him? I know lots of you take your dogs on the train so i'm guessing it shouldn't be a problem but i can't help fretting
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 11:21 AM
I took Shila to and from london on trains and had no problems, as long as your dog is secure and is not causing problems your fine.

Shila took it upon herself to block the gangway though but she took it in her stride x
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Oh and its free for a dog x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 11:23 AM
No, dogs go free on trains.
I was once been asked to pay a child fare for the third dog (when I had three) but she was a real jobsworth and it`s never happened since.
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Thank you both I'm not sure how he'll behave but he's normally quite laid back and the journeys only about 15minutes so hopefully shouldn't be a problem
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Don't forget, don't put your dog on the seat!

And be prepared for a lot of crap on the floor if your dog likes to consume trash.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 12:49 PM
been on the train with my two a fair few times , the trip to crufts was great as the train was full of dogs and dog lovers on the way to the NEC , other times I have only been complimented on how good they have been ! I always try to take up as little space as possible (Bella did manage to stretch out on the floor tho !) and have treats in hand to reward being good, they travel free ,but as a SB says no going on seats ! Platforms are noisy so need some reassurance and watch the gap when they jump on but for me and my and woofs all in all a good experience ! Ted will be fine he is a cool dude ! ;0-)
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Thanks Smokeybear and Maureen i can imagine Bella making herself comfy I wouldn't let him on the chairs but i think he might be a bit big anyway I didn't think about stuff on the floor i might put his headcollar on just incase there is any food lying about, if there is he will find it

Hopefully the station and train won't be to busy but he's not a problem around lots of people but might go for the slightly later train than i was planning to avoid school kids. If it goes well then it might be an alternative to the car on some journeys
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 01:09 PM
He is a good chap Emma , cant see you will have much trouble with him on the train , time it right and for a first journey you should be fine ,Bella had her ears cleaned by a tibetan mastiff who was on the way to crufts to be shown , she loved it and took it all her stride , there will be some folks on the train who dont like dogs but thats life huh !
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Thanks Maureen I can't wait i'm really looking forward to a week of just me and Ted and lots of walks he adores the beach Hopefully there won't be any other dogs on the train but he is pretty good at ignoring them in those situations. It should only take about 15minutes on the train so hopefully if there is any problems we won't be on very long anyway. I just hope the weather is resonable now so we can do the walk i don't fancy it if its to windy and wet.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >