Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by leo
i thought it may be a good idea to have a thread of all the pat dogs we own in their coats and a little about where they work as pat dogs.

toby works as a pat dog at a local nhs hospital on childrens cancer wards.
What a Handsome Boy! A good job you both do too, well done
basi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-08-2006, 02:31 PM
When I went home to Scotland I used to take her to see my gran who was in a home, she passed away at easter. She no longer knew who anyone was in fact you were lucky if she was actually awake when you visited her sometimes. The only time you ever really got any sort of reaction was when Cali went to visit her, she would say things like nice doggy though couldn't string 2 words together for us, it was so nice to see her actually interact a bit with her as she had always had dogs. It's times like that that make you proud that you have a dog that can make peoples days. By the way your leo looks lovely.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-08-2006, 02:45 PM
thanks
hes my big pudding really.
but your right it does make you proud of them and just them being them makes others happy.
the way i look at it i have the pleasure of his company 24/7 so it doesn't hurt to take time out and share the pleasures he gives me with others. it can be difficult to juggle some times with work and the kids etc but if i can get up to the hospital i will, most of them look forward to a visit from him now as they go in regular for the next stage of their treatment so if it gives them a smile on their face when they are feeling rough then its worth the juggling and travel as far as i'm concerned.
plus the fact he gets a blast out of it with all the attention he gets.
Minnie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-08-2006, 04:50 PM
What a lovely thing to do!

Where could i find out more about this? I am sure Loui would be ideal...he has such a lovely nature and just adores people!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-08-2006, 04:53 PM
http://www.petsastherapy.org/

contact them and go from there.
good luck!
Minnie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-08-2006, 05:10 PM
Thanks very much
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2006, 08:48 AM
Marie he looks fabalous in his PAT coat.

Am considering having my cat Moli assessed for PAT work but I don't think she's ready yet.

I loved doing PAT work with Jas, he used to visit the local school. We did a couple of main stream classes and a few visits to the SN classes. He showed 2 completely different sides. With the main stream children he was a bit more excited and could be a bit bolder but with the SN children he was so gentle I thought I had the wrong dog The best thing was Jas was taught only to obey the family members voices. My daughters teacher went to give Jas a comand and he just looked at her then looked at me. If I nodded then it was a sign that he could do as she asked, if I scowled he knew it was a no. It was quite amusing actually and the kids thought it was hilarious Was even funnier when Louise my daughter told Jas to sit and he did so immediately.

If anyone is 'thinking' about it, please don't think any longer go for it. It's extremely rewarding and tires the dog out no end. It's more a mental work out for the dogs.

If you fail, try again but please, PAT need more volunteers and we are the ones who can make a difference.

Will see if I can find a pic of Jas in his PAT coat
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-08-2006, 08:53 AM
Here is Staffy's Dogsey article on PAT dogs - with Jas in his coat
http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8463
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2006, 08:02 PM
beautiful piuc and well done all you pat dog people. Mo passed as a pat dog years ago but we never seemed to get round to getting anywhere to visit and are too busy with the puppy walking now. Well done, you all make a fantastic difference in so many ways!
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2006, 11:50 AM
My Sals a PAT dog. There is only one thing I would say about being a PAT dog check any area you are planning to visit with your dog for scone plasteres in jam and cream - Sal has become addicted.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >