Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2010, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by Laura-Anne View Post
Again sorry OP but feel this is still relevant to the thread. I dont agree with docking, even though I own a dog with a docked tail (re-homed her, the fact she had a shorter tail than she had at a few days old does not make a blind bit of difference to me, im 90% sure she was used as a working dog anyway).

But the original question was why one rule for one and not the same for the other in which i agree, the same standard should be set by all, and its the dogs who are doing the purpose they were intended to who cannot be shown, I dont see the logic especially if those docked before 2007 can still be shown. It is being managed legally so why punish those who abide by the law. If it is for purpose and not aesthetics then I dont see why they should be penalised. JMO.
In think it is because there is a strong possibility people will lie about it (gasp---never!) and carry on docking dogs that are just for showing.

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
In think it is because there is a strong possibility people will lie about it (gasp---never!) and carry on docking dogs that are just for showing.

rune
Lie about what ?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

29-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley;2103860[B
the public is not only getting used to both the idea and the 'new' appearance, but are leaning towards support for the ban on the basis that unnecessary mutilation is wrong.[/B]

You think so , then why do the public still demand docked pups.

You still get breeders docking Rotti`s Boxers, along with all the gundog breeds... funny if the public found it so abhorrent, they would nto be buying said pups

One wouldn't, but a surprising number of people who support one type of mutilation abhor another type which I find rather strange, or may not because self-interest does play a part in decisions
Why,/ one type of mutilation (as you put it) is not the same as another, some may say chopping a dogs balls off is equally mutilation, (which is done for ones self interest)

Docking tails, is done in an instant, end off, no after effects, no after pain...ear cropping is totally different, , its a long drawn out process.........although have to say, I love the look it gives certain breeds.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Lie about what ?
About the fact that the dogs work.

Maybe some do but if you allow them to show you will get people who just show people cutting tails off "because they like the way the dog looks without it"

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Why,/ one type of mutilation (as you put it) is not the same as another, some may say chopping a dogs balls off is equally mutilation, (which is done for ones self interest)

Docking tails, is done in an instant, end off, no after effects, no after pain...ear cropping is totally different, , its a long drawn out process.........although have to say, I love the look it gives certain breeds.
Really???

I like my animals to be as nature intended them, not chopped around to please the eye of 'animal lovers'

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

29-11-2010, 12:54 PM
Really???
I like my animals to be as nature intended them, not chopped around to please the eye of 'animal lovers'

rune
Yes, really!!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2010, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
The tail is removed to allow the dog to be fit for function, however docking alone is not the topic up for discussion - please read the link in the OP.

If you want to discuss docking alone please start your own thread.
I did read the link thank you for telling me whether i had or not, i can figure that much out for myself

My point is, the link refers to working dogs as being 'fit for function' with docked tails and therefore should be allowed to show... but how can a dog be 'fit for function' if the tails have to be docked to enable them to work... At least dogs in shows with full tails show how the dogs are meant to look...
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2010, 01:56 PM
Really???

rune
Lynn, please stop getting personal.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2010, 03:01 PM

Sorry, but there are plenty of dogs with docked tails that do suffer after effects and pain from docking. There are also plenty of dogs that can't cope with the dock and further mutilate themselves by biting at the stump - seen it enough times

Let's face it, the majority of docking is because some people like the looks it gives the dog rather than for any injury prevention. It would be quite interesting to know the figures for docked dogs in pet homes rather than being worked, but, of course, those figures are impossible to get.

In some countries, ear cropping is fairly normal as is debarking - thankfully not here in the UK. Most here think both practices aborhent, yet docking still continues. I can't see the difference - they are all 'altering' procedures that are very difficult to find any reasonable justification for
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

29-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Sorry, but there are plenty of dogs with docked tails that do suffer after effects and pain from docking. There are also plenty of dogs that can't cope with the dock and further mutilate themselves by biting at the stump - seen it enough times

Let's face it, the majority of docking is because some people like the looks it gives the dog rather than for any injury prevention. It would be quite interesting to know the figures for docked dogs in pet homes rather than being worked, but, of course, those figures are impossible to get.

Not really, you can do a rough calculation, a litter of 10/12 pups, 1 or 2 may go to working homes, the rest go to pet homes, multple that by the hundreds of litters docked since the ban, and the majority will have gone to pet homes.

Same as show dogs, the majority go to pet homes, 1 or 2 out of a litter will go to show.

In some countries, ear cropping is fairly normal as is debarking - thankfully not here in the UK. Most here think both practices aborhent, yet docking still continues. I can't see the difference - they are all 'altering' procedures that are very difficult to find any reasonable justification for
Your saying a 3 day old pup suffers after effects from a dock, and a dog suffers psychologically from not having a full tail.

How do you know that a dog that bites at his "stump" is doing so because he does not have a full tail.

What about the dog that "bite" and "mutilates" its full tail,

Is he doing so for a different reason! or are you humanising said dog to what you want to fit your theory.
Page 17 of 29 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 > Last »