Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bingowings
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I think that is still the case after speaking about this with the MOD trainer who is helping me with Yogi's tracking. He said 90% of the dogs donated to them were taken on. However, only about 1 in 10 of the dogs donated to the police are suitable I think this is mainly because modern police dogs are expected to turn their paw to so many different roles, whereas the MOD police dogs are mainly bark and bite trained.
My friend has a dog who is to begin her assessment to be a police dog - I hope she passes as she'll be the first Cane Corso to be in the police force in the UK. Quite a few of people I know who own this breed work their dogs. Some for hunting/tracking, others for herding and guarding. They're quite versatile really
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by bingowings View Post
My friend has a dog who is to begin her assessment to be a police dog - I hope she passes as she'll be the first Cane Corso to be in the police force in the UK. Quite a few of people I know who own this breed work their dogs. Some for hunting/tracking, others for herding and guarding. They're quite versatile really
That is really interesting, which police force? Also is your friend's dog being assessed to be a General Purpose dog? I would love to know how they get on.
bingowings
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-10-2009, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
That is really interesting, which police force? Also is your friend's dog being assessed to be a General Purpose dog? I would love to know how they get on.
It will be with the Cambridgeshire Constabulary, and all I know at the moment is that she is to be trained as a police dog. I really hope she makes the grade. If you want to check her out, search for Telesto Cane Corso and she'll be under Atessa
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by bingowings View Post
It will be with the Cambridgeshire Constabulary, and all I know at the moment is that she is to be trained as a police dog. I really hope she makes the grade. If you want to check her out, search for Telesto Cane Corso and she'll be under Atessa
Thanks, I will have a look. Please let us know how she gets on
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Interesting thread.

As far as guide dogs go, I'd say their breeding program is pretty successfull, though I don't have any stats, but will try and ask next time I have a meetting with some one from the organisation.

As far as I'm aware, if you live within a certain distance of the breeding centres you can use your dog/bitch in their program, depending on breed obviously, I think they get pick of the litter. From what I read on another thread, they sometimes buy dogs in to.

Interestingly, only 4% of guide dogs are gsds. I also found out not long ago, that the reason they hardly use bc's, is because they are to obedient. They have used belgion shepherds, and were trialing ausie shepherds, but don't know how that is going.

As for police dogs, I heard they import more gsd's because it is becoming harder here to find dogs with suitable temperaments, because a lot more are being bred with pet temperaments in mind, as aposed to working ones. Don't know if thats true or not, just what I've heard.

I don't know what is required to make a good all round working sheepdog, so can't comment there.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3