View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 08:11 PM
You could always go down the route of private rehome...there are plenty who are rehoming for genuine reasons.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
You could always go down the route of private rehome...there are plenty who are rehoming for genuine reasons.
I did put a home offered on here - so maybe a dog will find me.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 10:52 AM
When we rescued Flossie they accepted us. We were both 20, but I worked from home. and had 2 other dogs and lots of previous experience.

Let them know what you do with louie and show them what you intend to do with a rescue, they will realise that your not 'too young'
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Ahh thank you..

Another reason was that I said I was just interested - apparently if you're not totally into rescuing that dog you are wasting their time - I was only enquiring.. You would've thought they'd be happy to see a few genuine enquires - I put my whole story and everything down - why would a time waster waste their own time?

Edit: those plasticine dogs they have on the site are rather scary..
Worth remembering that rescues don't tend to "hold onto" dogs for people, the idea is to find the perfect home ASAP. Given your criteria (not saying there's anything wrong with knowing what you want), I imagine the kind of dog you're after is also the kind of dog lots of people are after - sociable, young, good with kids etc. so not the kind of dog that will sit in a rescue until June (hopefully). Maybe if you were looking for an older dog, or were offering a home for a difficult dog, something that they couldn't really pass up, they would appear more keen, but I imagine they would rather persue enquiries that can offer homes right now.
What I would probably do is find local rescues and see whether they do homechecks in advance and ask to have one done so you can take a dog on as soon as the time is right for you, but not really look for an actual dog yet if you can't take one on until June. This is what I did, but ended up falling for Casper and rearranging all my plans to be able to take him on the next week But it literally was a case of the rescue telling me they had another enquiry on the go, they were visiting Casper on the Thursday that week so if I wasn't ready to take him, he would go home with them (they'd passed a homecheck already), they weren't going to hold him for me because his kennel space could be used for another dog on the Friday if he went to a new home on the Thursday.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Worth remembering that rescues don't tend to "hold onto" dogs for people, the idea is to find the perfect home ASAP. Given your criteria (not saying there's anything wrong with knowing what you want), I imagine the kind of dog you're after is also the kind of dog lots of people are after - sociable, young, good with kids etc. so not the kind of dog that will sit in a rescue until June (hopefully). Maybe if you were looking for an older dog, or were offering a home for a difficult dog, something that they couldn't really pass up, they would appear more keen, but I imagine they would rather persue enquiries that can offer homes right now.
What I would probably do is find local rescues and see whether they do homechecks in advance and ask to have one done so you can take a dog on as soon as the time is right for you, but not really look for an actual dog yet if you can't take one on until June. This is what I did, but ended up falling for Casper and rearranging all my plans to be able to take him on the next week But it literally was a case of the rescue telling me they had another enquiry on the go, they were visiting Casper on the Thursday that week so if I wasn't ready to take him, he would go home with them (they'd passed a homecheck already), they weren't going to hold him for me because his kennel space could be used for another dog on the Friday if he went to a new home on the Thursday.
Oh I know that they won't hold onto dogs - I fill in the forms for future reference. But there are those who spend ages in the kennels or in a foster. I do look at the long termers first though.

Homecheck in advance - got it, I will start asking next week.

Thank Karly. And everyone else.
2Greys
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Keep trying perhaps don't give too much information early on in emails, just enough show you've thought things through so you can discuss more in person.

Were you considering a greyhound, can't remember now if it was you or someone else?
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2