View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2008, 06:48 PM
I've had a bitch before who settled down a little after her first season but not so much that she was depressed. I would recommend a second visit to the vet to ensure all is well. Not all phantoms show all the commond signs.

Let us know how you go.

Heidi
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Think you are right to take her to the vet to be checked but some bitches do grow up suddenly after the first season, one of the reasons people are advised to let the bitch have a season before spaying.

Do hope she is ok, please let us know.
Roxy SBT
New Member!
Female 

20-05-2008, 08:51 AM
Hi all

Roxy visited a new vet yesterday and had a check up. All is ok, nothing to worry about. Her swollen teats is hormonal and it could be this affecting her mood too, although she may have just 'grown up'. I've still got to keep a close eye on her for phantom, but i am soooo happy to be reassured.
Also realised that the other half started a little 2 hour a day part-time job 2 weeks ago, and i think Roxy is a little bit put out by this! how dare we leave her for 2 hours on her own hehehe
thanks for all your posts.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by Roxy SBT View Post
Hi all

Roxy visited a new vet yesterday and had a check up. All is ok, nothing to worry about. Her swollen teats is hormonal and it could be this affecting her mood too, although she may have just 'grown up'. I've still got to keep a close eye on her for phantom, but i am soooo happy to be reassured.
Also realised that the other half started a little 2 hour a day part-time job 2 weeks ago, and i think Roxy is a little bit put out by this! how dare we leave her for 2 hours on her own hehehe
thanks for all your posts.
So glad everything is ok
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 10:25 AM
My understanding is that bitches can take up to eight weeks from the start of a season to fully get over it. I used to have a bitch who went into a mini phantom as soon as she finished, swollen teats and dragging herself around mournfully, then at 63 days after she would have been mated (but wasn't) she went into a full-blown phantom with milk and everything. There are various herbal treatments you can give, but the best advice I had was to "jolly her along" be brisk, give her harder exercise, no opportunity to creep into corners and sulk, and certainly no soft toys which could trigger the mothering instinct!
Diva has gone quieter since her first season, which was great at her come-back show as she behaved beautifully instead of leaping everywhere, and she is less bouncy on her walks. Getting her swimming and racing around with her Lab friends certainly cheered her up yesterday and I have also cut down her food - no Bonio's, tripe or treats and less of her kibble. She has put on a bit of weight so I needed to do that anyway but another piece of advice I was given was to cut down on carbs. Another source suggested cutting down on protein, so I am unclear what is more appropriate/effective but as she is on complete food, cutting down her meal size is reducing everything!
Let us know how you get on.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Glad she is ok and fit. She will settle into the new lifestyle and you will in a couple of months have a nice mannered grown up girl.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2