Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2007, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
Are you saying all the non show owners are there because of the charity? I went to exemptions shows long before I took up breed showing at I never gave the charity a thought.
Absolutely not. However, I do believe that more official dog-showers than non-dog showers are their to win and don't always give the charity a thought, imo.
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-06-2007, 07:56 PM
[QUOTE=morganstar;1045928]Wasnt meant to be patronising what i was trying to get across is not all show standard dogs go into the ring a lot are sold to pet home as logistically its ompossible to keep them all. So its quite feasible that there are some dogs at these shows that are better than the "show " dogs there and these will rightly win.

I have never shown in any show but Companion and Crossbreed and Mongrel Shows.

My Akita was bought as a pet with absolutely no intention of showing as I had 2 young children and 2 other dogs to look after and a full time job. However, she did come from a top show kennel due to the fact, that after much research, they were the best, in my opinion, to buy from with the parents health tested and temperaments second to none.

At her first companion show in aid of RNIB, (my son is visually impaired so we went along just to support the charity) she got Best Puppy and BIS and, at every show after, was always placed.

So yes, as Morganstar states, some pet dogs are as good, if not better than those shown in Champ shows. Just because someone doesn't show their dog at a high level doesn't mean that it is not worthy of being shown.

My GSD, on the other hand, never got placed once in the pedigree classes but I didn't begrudge getting beaten by a 'show' dog. After all, I took the best dog home
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-06-2007, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Absolutely not. However, I do believe that more official dog-showers than non-dog showers are their to win and don't always give the charity a thought, imo.
I think if you did a pole of the non show entrants you might find they do not have the charity uppermost in their thoughts either but it won't affect takings that they all are there to enjoy themselves and hopefully have the thrill of winning something so what does it matter?
If the charity is uppermost in your thoughts do you think your committee are happy with you making people possibly feel unwelcome? Do you think they will be happy to see takings possibly go down as a result?
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Thats a good point Hewey maybe oatch could put a poll up, I wouldnt know where to start.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2007, 08:20 PM
That is just the general feeling I get.

It seems to me that official showers go in the huff more often if they don't win that non-showers!
Clipper
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-06-2007, 08:23 PM
Westie N, If winning was the ultimate reason for me lugging cages, show bag, dogs and myself out for the day, don't get me started on the petrol price, I think I would have spent my money more wisely, going to an Open or Champ show. At least there a win would have gained something towards either champiomship or Show Certificate of Merit status.
No the whole reason for me being there yesterday was, first and formost, to have a day out somewhere, where my dogs could accompany me. Secondly, I am very much in favour of the charity that was being supported. Thirdly I got the chance to spent time with friends, and make new ones. All who just love their dogs to bits, as I do. Moreover, my two lads got a great day out, they too making friends with everyone and their dogs. All this would have been achieved even without entering a single class but to be able to give a bit back to the dog world was a big bonus.
So to recap. I had a great time. The dogs had a great time. The charity made more funds. I really can't see what you find so bad about all that. As a "Formal Shower" should I be excluded from having a good time and making some money for a charity ??
Maybe a solution would be for you to run a show with no pedigree classes, only novelty ones. Just a suggestion.
Clipper & the furry gang
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-06-2007, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
That is just the general feeling I get.

It seems to me that official showers go in the huff more often if they don't win that non-showers!
What are you talking about? What is the general feeling you get?

What has anyone going off in a huff got to do with elligibility for Companion shows? Or was that just a little insult to hurl as you spit the dummy out.

Dawn R.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2007, 08:28 PM
I'm glad you and your dogs had a good day.

Again, if I had shown my dog at official shows, I wouldn't enter official shows.

Perhaps you could still have had a good day, but gave a donation instead of entering pedigree classes. Just a thought.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by Nursey View Post
What are you talking about? What is the general feeling you get?

What has anyone going off in a huff got to do with elligibility for Companion shows? Or was that just a little insult to hurl as you spit the dummy out.

Dawn R.
Companion/fun dog shows are meant to be fun. I get the impression that some real show-dog owners don't have as much fan as your average pet owners at these shows. I seen evidence of that yesterday. That is the general feeling I have been getting.

Spitting the dummy out? Never.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Fun, exactly, everyone is entitled to a little fun.

Dawn R.
Closed Thread
Page 11 of 27 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 > Last »