Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2007, 10:42 AM

What do you consider a "hyper" food?

I've read lots of posts about people saying certain foods are considered to make their dogs hyper. Mainly the dry brands I think, but I was wondering which ones specifically people had had problems with and what those problems were.
Just being nosey again
DanishPastry
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-06-2007, 10:44 AM
it is not because it is dry, but because a lot of the dry foods are stuffed with aditives as colourings etc.
I know in UK there is a pretty good range of additive free dry foods, here in DK we are only just getting there.
I have to feed addt. free as one of my dogs are intolerant and will get red itchy eyes and sores around her mouth.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2007, 11:12 AM
im not sure really,i think with mine it was the grain,maze,corn in the dog food,caused alot more problems than hyperactivity,as i said in earlier posts im on raw now,and as the mackerel has now came 1 mth earler than last year there on it also ,and the only thing next to eating a mackerel as quick is a seal,
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2007, 12:04 PM
in relation to the 'hyper', its very similar to E numbers and kids - some kids can drink fizzy drinks & coloured sweets such as smarties (talking about before they went addiditve free) and m&ms - but with others it made them 'hyper' i.e. full of excess energy, unable to concentrate, unruly & difficult.

The colourants & preservatives in some of the dog foods can have exactly the same effect on some dogs. Bakers complete is supposedly one of the worst - possibly because of all the colours (quite why they need to do that, I'm not sure!)
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Bakers and your regular bog standard Pedigree tins/dry

Pedigree Professional is ment to be better but i've never tried it or looked into it...
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2007, 05:04 PM
What about things like Iams and Eukanuba, Hills, Purina and all that lot? I know there are other reasons not to feed some of these ones?
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 03:52 PM
Any more thoughts on this one chaps?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 03:57 PM
If you get the Dog Papers there was a recent supplement on nutrition and Arden Grange did a very good article on the 'hyperactivity' myth.
Becky
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
If you get the Dog Papers there was a recent supplement on nutrition and Arden Grange did a very good article on the 'hyperactivity' myth.
Becky
No I dont get that one, which edition was it, maybe I could get a back copy?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Sorry can't remember would have only been in last few weeks, can't find my copy at the moment.
Becky
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >