Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-12-2010, 12:52 PM

Pets at Home Senior Complete (silver)

anyone tried this? got a 15kg pack yesterday b1get1free fro 29.99 the girl behind counter siad it was their version of science plan!! just wondeed anyone tried it?
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-12-2010, 01:06 PM
wainrights is the better of the two foods, the pets at home silver bag is not like science plan i'm afraid... at all... ingrediants wise its certainly not the best. A low amount of rice and contains lots of cereals and low meat content. There is however no colours so its better than foods such as bakers complete, *shudders* but if you want a good quality food from there look for wainrights. - It is the equivalent to james wellbeloved not much different at all.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-12-2010, 03:30 PM
thanks. mine cant eat james wellbeloved gave them a dodgy tummy so dont think ill try that one then
JazzMan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-12-2010, 04:10 PM
I fed the junior version of P@H Silver for 2 months when J was younger and for the money, it is not a bad food, especially compared to some of the trash you can buy. The problem that I had was not unique to that particular brand but to all dried foods, namely coprophagia due to poor digestion, which was cured instantly by switching to raw.

Originally Posted by twilightwolf View Post
wainrights is the better of the two foods, the pets at home silver bag is not like science plan i'm afraid... at all... ingrediants wise its certainly not the best. A low amount of rice and contains lots of cereals and low meat content. There is however no colours so its better than foods such as bakers complete, *shudders* but if you want a good quality food from there look for wainrights. - It is the equivalent to james wellbeloved not much different at all.

Comparing the ingredients of P@H and Hills Science Plan (both senior versions) I would say that the cheaper P@H contains not only more actual chicken but also a lot less cereal. I do not know many people who have a good word to say about Hills (apart from vets who get commission for pushing it!).

Pets at Home Large Breed Senior Complete Dog Food with Chicken
Fresh Chicken (min. 20%), Rice, Barley, Poultry Meat Meal, Sugar Beet Pulp, Animal Fat, Maize, Gluten Meal, Poultry Digest, Brewers Yeast, Egg Powder, Flaxseed, Sodium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Methionine, Molluscs and Crustaceans: Glucosamine HCI, Chondroitin, Taurine, Marigold Extract, Yucca Extract, Rosemary Extract. with Antioxidant EC Additives (Vitamin E and C). Total Chicken min. 31%.

Science Plan™ Canine Mature Adult 7+ Active Longevity™ Medium with Chicken
Mini with Chicken and Medium with Chicken (minimum Chicken 20 %, minimum Chicken and Turkey combined 30 %): Ground maize, ground wheat, chicken and turkey meal, animal fat, digest, dried beet pulp, pea bran meal, vegetable oil, flaxseed, L-lysine hydrochloride, potassium chloride, salt, calcium carbonate, DL-methionine, L-threonine, L-tryptophan, taurine, vitamins and trace elements. Naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, citric acid and rosemary extract.

At the end of the day finding a food that suits your dog is not easy and all the careful research and planning in the world won't be worth a damn if the food doesn't suit the individual dog. What works for one may not necessarily work for another. I know dogs that are a picture of health on supermarket own brand foods and I know dogs that have health problems even though they only get the best food. If you find something that your dog enjoys, gives him the nutrition he needs and doesn't turn his stomach inside out then stick with it.
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by angied View Post
anyone tried this? got a 15kg pack yesterday b1get1free fro 29.99 the girl behind counter siad it was their version of science plan!! just wondeed anyone tried it?
i think its pretty good, my gsd had it for a while when he was a pup (puppy version of course) he liked it more than other dried foods and what came out the other end was also better!!

I also think its better than hills and for £15 can't be bad
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-12-2010, 12:28 PM
I've often wondered putting Millie onto it as it does seem quite good for the price, the only thing which has stopped me is people saying it's crap and the 'bland' flavours (Millie's exotic one lol) and the amount of maize in it.
Millie would be on senior and maize is the second ingredient which stops me as i try to keep it more natural
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 12:54 PM
Our vets is situated in "Pets at Home" near us and one of the vets there told my manager he wouldn't feed his dog on anything they sold in there as it was all crap.

I thought that poulty digest and meat-meal could be bits of chicken like feet and beaks?
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Our vets is situated in "Pets at Home" near us and one of the vets there told my manager he wouldn't feed his dog on anything they sold in there as it was all crap.

I thought that poulty digest and meat-meal could be bits of chicken like feet and beaks?

wow a truthful vet! lol
My pets are at companion care too and they have science plan in the surgery (as treats) and my cat loves it! I'm just cautious about giving it to him
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 03:46 PM
If you look at the amounts to feed of PAH food then they are more than other better quality foods therefore it doesn't last as long, so don't be fooled by the price.
I tried it once and my collie x put on loads of weight due to the amount he needed to be fed. So I don't use it anymore.
Although Iams are not the best food, they're ok and 3 of my dogs are on it and doing really well. Jenny and Danny are on adult and Otis is on senior. I've tried others and they didn't suit them at all.
Guinness is on Supadog Sensitive as he has a delicate tummy and he looks great. We've tried other "better" foods with him too and he got the squits! He also lost loads of fur and lost weight, but now he's back on Supadog he looks great.
Bessie is on good old cheap Chappie meat and a few kibbles due to her pancreatitis and she looks great.
So just do some research and if your dog looks good and is healthy then stick to it.
outhval
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-12-2010, 05:46 PM
I think the person saying about the beaks/feathers etc. is true. (animal derivaties can mean anything!) My dog has James Wellbeloved dry (morning) and Wainrights wet (evenings) and he's in a very good condition and, being a very "food orientated" dog, in other words very greedy, his weight is spot on and neither upset his stomach. Although, as someone said, you just have to find a food that suits your particular dog.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >