Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tancredreynolds
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-10-2009, 08:46 PM

Kennal cough symptoms??

Hi all,

I have a 11 year old staffordshire bull terrier who was diagnosed with kennel cough on friday the 2nd of october. The vet has prescribed antibiotics(trimacare) and torbutrol tablets (to help with the cough and vomitting). it is now the 5th of october and there doesn't seem to be any improvment in his condition. if he trys to eat or drink anything it comes straight back up. He has also developed blood shot weeping eyes. is this another symtom of the kennel cough?? I would really apprieciate your feed back.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 08:32 AM
Kennel cough looks like a really bad cold/chest infection, the eyes can get blood shot through straining while coughing,they can also retch because of this too, the dog needs to have minimum exercise, and a cool (not cold)room to be in, it can go on for a while as there are so many strains not all the AB's may cover the strains. what you need to watch out for is it developing into pheumonia. if worried take back to the vets, sometimes childrens benelyne given can help relieve the coughing.

Mo
fluffybland
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Lungworm could be a possibility? It is on the increase and has some symptoms similar to KC. Perhaps return to your vets and at least get some advice and maybe treat as Lungworm as a precaution.

see this thread http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=94308

and this site http://www.lungworm.co.uk/scripts/pa...worm/index.php
Tancredreynolds
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-10-2009, 09:29 AM
Thankyou both for your feedback. Harvey was vaccinated for lung worm and heart worm about 6 months ago. so i don't think it could be either of those. I'm going to take him to the vet this afternoon if he is not showing any signs of progress. My mum was up with him most of the night with him being sick and i've taken the day off to be with him. He does seem to want to eat and drink. but as soon as he does it comes straight back up. Also how can i get him to take his tablets?? because they just seem to come straight back up. would the vet do a liquid form of his meds?? thanks again for your advice.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by Tancredreynolds View Post
Thankyou both for your feedback. Harvey was vaccinated for lung worm and heart worm about 6 months ago. so i don't think it could be either of those. I'm going to take him to the vet this afternoon if he is not showing any signs of progress. My mum was up with him most of the night with him being sick and i've taken the day off to be with him. He does seem to want to eat and drink. but as soon as he does it comes straight back up. Also how can i get him to take his tablets?? because they just seem to come straight back up. would the vet do a liquid form of his meds?? thanks again for your advice.
hi
you do not vaccinate for lungworm
besides,if he was treated 6 months ago,he would need treating again as you are only treating the worm burden at that time.
if a dog comes into our surgery with suspected kennel cough we routinly treat them for lungworm to rule out the possibility!.
hope he feels better soon,poor lad.
fluffybland
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
you do not vaccinate for lungworm
that's what I thought! but not being qualified i didn't like to argue!
Tancredreynolds
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Oh o.k. We took him 6 months ago because he caught mange(not sure of spelling) from the local foxes in the area. as well as treatment for the mange, the vet suggested that we treat him for lungworm just as a precaution. So does this mean he is still at risk of contracting lungworm. We were under the impression that he would be protected from lung worm.
fluffybland
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2009, 10:36 AM
I'm guessing you were given Advocate spot on treatment?
as it treats mange (sarcoptic and demodectic), but it needs to be applied monthly to maintain protection from Lungworm. I would definately ask your vets advice, and if it were me I would treat for Lungworm as a precaution anyway. Let us know how Harvey gets on, hope he feels better soon.
Tancredreynolds
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Your right! just spoke to the boss (my mum) and he is given advocate once a month. sorry about that false info.
fluffybland
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2009, 06:57 PM
How did Harvey get on at the vets?
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »