Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-08-2009, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
The vet students these days are being taught that it doesn't make any difference whether you spay before or after the first season . So it just comes down to personal preference
As far as the owner is concerned they want to do the very best for their pet, to them it is not 'just another bitch being spayed' as it may be to a veterinary student .

If there is a chance of eliminating even the small the risk of complications during an operation I for one would take it.

It is thought by many the longer one leaves a bitch before spaying the grater the risk of mammary tumours but I think other factors should be taken into consideration too, this is taken from a vets site...
If your dog were to come into season before being spayed, then we would need to wait eight weeks after the end of her season before spaying her. This will allow the blood supply to the uterus to decrease and reduce the risk of hemorrhage during or after the surgery.
...my vet and many others I have spoken to are of the same opinion, as you can't be sure when a bitch may come into season for the first time on balance it is better to wait until after the first season if you can.

I don't know if this theory has now changed .
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
As far as the owner is concerned they want to do the very best for their pet, to them it is not 'just another bitch being spayed' as it may be to a veterinary student .

If there is a chance of eliminating even the small the risk of complications during an operation I for one would take it.

It is thought by many the longer one leaves a bitch before spaying the grater the risk of mammary tumours but I think other factors should be taken into consideration too, this is taken from a vets site...
...my vet and many others I have spoken to are of the same opinion, as you can't be sure when a bitch may come into season for the first time on balance it is better to wait until after the first season if you can.

no it hasnt!! mid way, roughly 3 months after as long as there are no other factors to consider!
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post

Most vets do want to do the very best for their clients that's why they become vets in the first place . They are taught by experts in their field who know the pros and cons of before season and after spaying . No vet I have ever met takes the operating on an animal and the giving of a general anaesthetic lightly .
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
Most vets do want to do the very best for their clients that's why they become vets in the first place . They are taught by experts in their field who know the pros and cons of before season and after spaying . No vet I have ever met takes the operating on an animal and the giving of a general anaesthetic lightly .
this is true!!! no vet i have ever worked with has ever taken a bitch spay lightly,(the operation itself)and its us nurses that monitor the g.a most vets dont get involved in that after the induction! also many vets do not study behaviour and do not own dogs themselves.each bitch should be seen as a seperate case and not just 'a bitch spay' so i would always advise discussing concerns with your vet first and not just booking her in for the op.just to add...if its a case of spaying at 6months or not at all,spaying wins everytime imho.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum
Hi Fernsmum Yes I agree and am well aware of this having worked with many vets over the years and been present at operations (in the 60's before all vets had trained veterinary nurses to assist them ).
The vet students these days are being taught that it doesn't make any difference whether you spay before or after the first season . So it just comes down to personal preference
All the vets I have been involved with have looked upon the dogs they operate on as individuals and they have taken all factors into account when deciding when to spay including the possibility of reducing the chance of hemorrhage (and urinary incontinence), that is why I was surprised at your statement that these factors seem not to be taken into consideration any more and there is just a blanket decision when to spay and I wondered if there was new research leading to decision.
(I discussed the issue very recently with my vet when Chloe was spayed ).

I would urge anyone having a bitch spayed to discuss the matter with their vet in order to choose the best time with the least risks when all factors are taken into consideration.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 02:31 PM
I have been told that there has been a great deal of research done on whether there is any detrimental effect in spaying early and the latest thinking among the experts is that it has no adverse effect .
Personally I wait until after the first season but I have had bitches all my life and there is absolutely no chance of an accidental pregnancy occuring .
If there is the slightest chance of an accidental pregnancy occuring then I would spay early rather than bring even more unwanted pups into a world full of them
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 02:36 PM
[QUOTE=Fernsmum;1747101]I have been told that there has been a great deal of research done on whether there is any detrimental effect in spaying early and the latest thinking among the experts is that it has no adverse effect .
Personally I wait until after the first season but I have had bitches all my life and there is absolutely no chance of an accidental pregnancy occuring .
If there is the slightest chance of an accidental pregnancy occuring then I would spay early rather than bring even more unwanted pups into a world full of them [/QUOTE
oops deleted!
sarah8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2009, 03:03 PM
I used to think that I would wait for my bitch to reach maturity both physically and mentally, however, my last two bitches both had phantom pregnancies from a very early age which unfortunately could not be controlled by medication - I now would spay at six months. I maybe have been unlucky but it has definitely changed my way of thinking with regards to bitches.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 04:21 PM
I'm not going to go in to the debate about the pros and cons of spaying before first season or midway between first and second season, but FWIW, I had my Westie spayed at 6 months old. She has no problems whatsoever either physically or mentally, and she will be 6 years old in a few weeks time.

If you were to ask me do I regret having her done so early then the answer would be a firm no.

Now, if I had a large breed, such as a Labrador, I would spay midway between the first and second season.

So, if I was in your position with a JRT pup, I probably would spay at 6 months. JMO.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Fudge was done at 6 months prior to her first season. No problems here......
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >