Our sister sites
Our sister sites
John Slater
New Member!
Male 

10-07-2009, 09:11 PM

Alergic Golden Retriever

Hello,
My name is John, I live in York and have a 2 year old Golden Retriever called Barney. About 1 month ago Barney developed a rash on his tummy and his ear was inflamed and wet inside and small red areas on various parts of his body.
The vet prescribed antibiotics and steriods, the skin seemed to clear up after about 10 days and he seemed fine for a few days but then his back feet became very sore and inflamed on the top and between his pads and the rash returned on his tummy and a few red spots in his ear.
If anyone has any ideas it would be great to hear from you.
Thanks
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2009, 09:43 PM
It does sound like a seasonal allergy. Poor boy.

Your vet will be able to help more, but (as a receptionist in a vets) I see loads of similar cases at this time of year! Hope he gets sorted, and if it is an allergy, they find out the cause. That would help a little.
jackiec
New Member!
Female 

11-07-2009, 07:59 PM
I have a goldie now 11, and he suffers from hot spots, ezcema. Usually fuciderm (from the vet) clears it up, with the occassional bit of germolene rubbed on to take the itching away..
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-07-2009, 11:23 PM
I would recommend allergy testing then you know what to avoid and/or whether it will be seasonal or all year round ie dust mites.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2009, 08:17 AM
Get some soothing wet wipes (like aloe vera) and wipe his tummy down after he's been out to minimise allergens on his skin.
Becky
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by wildmoor View Post
I would recommend allergy testing then you know what to avoid and/or whether it will be seasonal or all year round ie dust mites.
I would try this as well because you can find out exactly what may be causing the rash, if it is an allergy and then you can start to deal with what may be causing the problem.

For now i agree with mahooli keep the area clean and give it a wipe when he has been outside and even use antiseptic wipes now and again to keep it clean, i tried so many creams with my dog when his paws were itchy and dry because of and allergy, i tried sudocrem for a while which was good but messy, then i tried calendula cream which was good too and also i got aloe vera gel which i haven't used yet because when i bought it i got the results from his allergy test and i changed a few things in his diet and around the house and his paws healed but i've got the aloe on stanby.
Also you could try antihistimines but i would ask your vet first if he thinks it ok for your dog because they can give him some relief too.
pupsandpets
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by jackiec View Post
I have a goldie now 11, and he suffers from hot spots, ezcema. Usually fuciderm (from the vet) clears it up, with the occassional bit of germolene rubbed on to take the itching away..
Exactly the same as one of my Goldies, but she ahd quite a bad case this time so they took skin samples and the tests came back allergic to dustmites!

Fuciderm usually does the trick, one of my other goldies has skin ezcema and it works a treat.
for teh ear infections our vet gives us Canural and it works fast 2 but does give greasy ears for a few days.
pupsandpets
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-07-2009, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by jackiec View Post
Exactly the same as one of my Goldies, but she had quite a bad case this time so they took skin samples and the tests came back allergic to dustmites!

Fuciderm usually does the trick, one of my other goldies has skin ezcema and it works a treat.
for the ear infections our vet gives us Canural and it works fast 2 but does give greasy ears for a few days.
Barwin
New Member!
Female 

27-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Our golden was just allergy tested and came back with an allergy to almost every grass, tree, mold, dust mite...he's been licking his belly, chewing his paws, and scratching his back all summer long. The steroid helps for a few days but when it wears off, he goes back to uncontrollable itching. We are about to start allergy immunizations as soon as we identify what is growing in our lawn because the serum can only hold 12 different types of immunizations and he is allergic to way more than 12, including cats and we don't own cats! It's really poor timing for all these allergies to suddenly kick in because not only is he down in the dumps from being so uncomfortable, he's a little melancholy due to the kids we just popped out. But he is excellent with them so we want him to get better so they can all play!
Barwin
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Hi John have you changed Barneys food recently , what do you feed him on ?

Food even if not the main culprit for allergy can be a contributory factor. Feeding a good quality food with as few additives as possible can help.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >