Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2007, 07:01 PM

Stripped the garden

I have started on the garden.

So sadly the old/big acer got a disease and was risking my other acers so I could not risk it he sadly went yesterday the space though is immense and rather than being sad I have decided to change the garden completely. Hence the massive conifer has gone (I decided not worth changing without changing completely)so he has gone.

Also I adore my garden but my mind is working towards the future when lots of "gardening - gardening" is beyond me physically. And although thats a good while into the future, I thought better to make it managable/easier now rather than leave it till I can do nothing about it without having to pay or ask someone to do it. My recent brush with one handed gardening ( my broken wrist) and last year (laid up with cancer and treatment) made me reconsider what I may be able to do in the future. And I have decided to readust my garden.

I am planning an area of decking, a few raised beds for my new obsession alpines . Some new seating places, and somewhere for wait for it wait for it................................................ ....................... .................. a hammock.

See there is a method behind my drastic madness.

Stand by for pictures and action.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2007, 08:44 PM
lol loved the post!! I am exactly the same, a forever changing picture, that's my garden.
I have several seating area's in my garden and guess what..... a hammock too!!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2007, 09:11 PM
Oooh, how exciting Karen. I look forward to seeing all the changes. I'm sure whatever you do, your garden will look beautiful, as it always does
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-08-2007, 11:18 PM
Shame your Acer had to go Karen cause that big one was spectacular from your pics.What disease did it have cause one of mine got 'vine weevils' a few years back which very nearly killed it,but after dosing it up with a a chemical solution and a major hair cut-it lived! I know from others also that vine weevils appear to favour Acers cause they're shallow rooted and the larvae dont need to burrow down too far to get to the roots.I now without fail every year give it a dose of 'Provado vine weevil killer' just incase.

I look forward to seeing piccys of your garden cause you really do have green fingers and excellent taste!
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2007, 10:14 AM
It was vine weevil Steve I have tried to "hem" them in and stop them but it got to it and I have now had to cut my losses. Which broke my heart almost;
I think it actually got to it last year and I missed it (due to hospital/surgery etc) and by the time I realised something was amiss I had lost the "quick time" it was too late. I tried the solutions but had to bite the bullet in the end.

I normaly give it a dose of the afore mentioned preventative but missed out last year and the year before to my utter panic. I realised to late. I could not afford it to get out of hand as I have three other Acers coming up and my "BABY" Acer (who I rescued and moved to a tub) seems to have worked.
Now I am back in full swing but I do miss him. but Eric and Ernie (other Acers) will have to get a move on and Annie (another Acer) is coming on nicely Baby will be fine too. So not long now.

Not sure about green fingers but I will try;
Although I must admit the change is almost forced as in no small part I do tire more easily now. So less work manually but mmore work brain will be for the better and Alpines are great....gardens in minature. And I have now got a Bonsai too.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2007, 11:32 AM
I have good recommendation for hammocks when you are ready. we have a giant one that you sit in rather than lie in. It is really comfy and can also come with a lap top shelf for using Dogsey whilst outside!!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-08-2007, 02:28 PM
Apparently Karen-if you smear vaseline around the rim of pots it stops the vine weevil from getting over the top and laying eggs in the compost,but if its in the soil-you can only use the chemical route and kill the larvae.I feel so sorry for you cause yours really was a wonderful looking Acer and didnt deserve to die.

Damn shame that weevils prefer shallow rooted Acers cause they're slow growers and it takes years to get one to a decent size.To replace mine like for like would be atleast £300 so i look after it like its a baby!
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2007, 06:49 PM
I know Steve I estimated mine would be about "£600" to replace which obviously I can't and he was in the soil the "new" ones Eric/Ernie/Annie /Baby were quickly moved to pots and vaseline was applied immediately - before I saw your post actually. As I decided actioned needed to be taken quickly. New soil/new pots etc. Extra strict precautions. Thanks for the advice though much appreciated.
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2007, 09:53 PM
You sound as if you will by very busy!
I like the sound of your new look garden, alpines are lovely, very interesting plants.
Can't wait to see your work in progress