Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2005, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn
Too right they do, and they destroy tree bark and stop songbirds visiting if you are not careful. I disposed of 2 last week, have moved all my bird feeders, highered my fence another foot (not because of Squirrels though) and the ******s are back again!
Dawn.
Well I don't know about that Dawn, coz I have a whole family of blackbirds, blue tits, greenfinches, sparrows, lots of robins, and a couple of doves, and they are all there at the same time! They seem to wait until the squirrell has his breakfast before they go up to their fat thingy, but they don't seem in any way intimidated by it, in fact the blackbird will have a bath whilst the squirrell is drinking I have seen it! I certainly don't want them in my attick, but I have always fed them their own food, in the hope that they leave my bird feeders alone, which they don't of course.
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2005, 09:04 PM
Ashlady describe your feeder to me just in case they don't get the hang of this one, and Helena what do you use??

It needs to be something I can hang or place in the tree.

Or anyone else with any tips.....
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-10-2005, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by Het

Or anyone else
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

03-10-2005, 08:24 AM
I have a squirrel that visits every day he goes into my wheelie bin and then comes out with food!

I love them I think they are gorgeous
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2005, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by Het
Ashlady describe your feeder to me just in case they don't get the hang of this one, and Helena what do you use??

I'll take a picture for you when I get home, all it is, is a white cylinder (but square shaped) that had a lid (with catch) and the hangy bit. This been moved to the edge of the 'lid' so it doesn't close. I put a slack handful of hazlenuts in the bottom, and the squirrels have to go head first down into it to get the nuts, but because it is too long for the birds to reach in, they don't take the whole nuts, although they can peck bits through the sides if they want to. It cost about 3 quid, unlike the wooden one which was about £10 and has long since gone into the bin
(wouldn't be any good on the Krypton Factor would I?? )
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2005, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by Emm
I have a squirrel that visits every day he goes into my wheelie bin and then comes out with food!

I love them I think they are gorgeous
aww Emm, does he have any preferences?? try and get a picture for us
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2005, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by Ashlady
I'll take a picture for you when I get home, all it is, is a white cylinder (but square shaped) that had a lid (with catch) and the hangy bit. This been moved to the edge of the 'lid' so it doesn't close. I put a slack handful of hazlenuts in the bottom, and the squirrels have to go head first down into it to get the nuts, but because it is too long for the birds to reach in, they don't take the whole nuts, although they can peck bits through the sides if they want to. It cost about 3 quid, unlike the wooden one which was about £10 and has long since gone into the bin
(wouldn't be any good on the Krypton Factor would I?? )

aww thanks Ashlady, I think I know what you mean - tho the square shaped cylinder threw me I can't talk, a smiley spoke to me earlier and now I'm a nervous wreck
I will try Hazelnuts I think. Mum and Dad have a tree in their garden, I'll see if I can sweet talk him into picking some and shelling them for me.
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2005, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by Fred
You can sit in the tree if you like Fred, not sure what the squirrels will think but I reckon my neighbour lady will like you
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2005, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Het

Hiya Het. Well you know those half coconut shells that you buy from PaH with fat and nuts in? When they're empty, I fill them with bird seed and throw a few hazlenuts in and wedge them tightly in my big hedge, otherwise the squirrel knocks them over and all the seed falls out I did my wrist in last week wedging one in! Anyway, I got the proper squirrell boxes like you have and placed one at the end of the garage roof, and one against a fence post coz they run along the top of the fencing. Ashlady is right though about them not getting the hang of lifting the bottom up, so I tied some string around the bottom and lifted it half up and tied it to the top of the post, anything will do, as long as you have the front half open, and that way they suss it out. If the string breaks of course whilst they're rummaging about in there it hits them on the head! You will find they will then sit on top of the box to eat their goodies! Hope that helps, and I hope you understand where I'm coming from too x Btw, I buy the packs of ready to eat hazlenuts from the supermarket, not the ones in shells, but I suppose they can cope with them, but never tried them in shells?
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2005, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
Hiya Het. Well you know those half coconut shells that you buy from PaH with fat and nuts in? When they're empty, I fill them with bird seed and throw a few hazlenuts in and wedge them tightly in my big hedge, otherwise the squirrel knocks them over and all the seed falls out I did my wrist in last week wedging one in! Anyway, I got the proper squirrell boxes like you have and placed one at the end of the garage roof, and one against a fence post coz they run along the top of the fencing. Ashlady is right though about them not getting the hang of lifting the bottom up, so I tied some string around the bottom and lifted it half up and tied it to the top of the post, anything will do, as long as you have the front half open, and that way they suss it out. If the string breaks of course whilst they're rummaging about in there it hits them on the head! You will find they will then sit on top of the box to eat their goodies! Hope that helps, and I hope you understand where I'm coming from too x Btw, I buy the packs of ready to eat hazlenuts from the supermarket, not the ones in shells, but I suppose they can cope with them, but never tried them in shells?
Thanks Helena

I wedged the lid of the box open today so they could reach in but the birds wouldn't be able to get in, though I might try the 'string round the bottom to lift it trick' (BTW would that work on me?? )
We've got lots of Hazel trees round here so I'm gonna have to get 'picking and cracking'
I hope the little tykes appreciate it.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >