View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

01-10-2005, 12:20 PM

Toads?

Does any-one here know anything about toads?

Yesterday I found another toad in my garden - I have no idea how they are getting in my garden - I don't live that close to water and the gardens on my street row are surrounded by a brick wall that stands quite tall.

So where should I put this toad? I normally get into the car and take them to the local pond but I'm thinking maybe this is wrong because they might not come from there.
Where do toads live?
What do they eat? I have loads of slugs and bugs on my garden so I'm guessing they are eating them?

So many questions - lol - sorry
I would just like to know what to do with them - they are huge by the way - very cute!
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2005, 12:43 PM
Well, I'm no heptologist ( think that's the right word - or maybe it's for lizards???????) - anyway a toad is a good chap to have around the garden - eats slugs and other nasties. Can you make him a little shelter - couple of bricks for sides with some sort of roof, or similar? I think you can even buy terracotta toad pots - just an ordinary type flower pot with an entrance hole - sit them upside down and toady has a nice home.

i guess if he has made his way to you, and he like it, he will stay. Let us know
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2005, 12:52 PM
Lucky you I believe they eat slugs etc -
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2005, 12:53 PM
hi emm

we have frogs in our garden - I think because part of the garden used to have a "stank" - a burn running through the bottom of it - until they piped it about 20 years ago - but the ground is obviously still moist - bruno likes to harass them though - so they spend most of the time bouncing about the garden away from him
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

01-10-2005, 01:04 PM
I don't have a real problem with them I just worry that my garden isn't suitable for them - my garden isn't big and there is no grass but there are loads of slugs so I know the toad won't starve but don't they need water to swim in or something? And I would hate for one of the cats to catch one although they have never done that ....yet!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-10-2005, 01:48 PM
We get toads in our garden,no pond ar water nearby mostly laid to patio too,as long as it is moist they will be fine.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2005, 02:14 PM
Apparently toads don't need water to survive, dampness is enough.. I know cos we have seen a toad in my garden, and the guy who helps my mum do the gardening told her!

He told my mum to put logs and rocks under a bush at the back of the garden, and to keep it nice and damp
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2005, 02:53 PM
yes toads spend most of their life away from water
they eat beasties and love worms ,I used to have alot of toads in my garden where I used to live ,there was one that used to sit on the door step every night and eat moths etc. that were attracted to the house light ,I called him Mr Toad
JR Lady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-10-2005, 03:42 PM
You could get him a toad house for shelter (a special, upside down terracota plant pot with a cut out front for him to enter and exit) or perhaps provide a nest box for him to hibernate in through the winter...He will eat your slugs and snails so food for him and a bonus for you...and if he is not happy in your garden Emm, then I guess he will leave by the same way he came in!!!
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

01-10-2005, 03:58 PM
excellant thanks for your replies!

I feel a bit guilty now for all the ones that I took to the pond.
I will go out and buy a toad home for him and maybe put down a dish of water for him - theres definatley loads of slugs and bugs for him

I still wonder how they get in the garden though - there must be somewhere they are getting in - I just can't see it :smt017
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >