Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2005, 02:38 PM

He's on steroids

Oscar is officaialy on steriods for his arthritis Deomasophide or something like that, excuse my spelling.
The vet said if it works which he see's no reason why it shouldn't then to pop back every 4-5 weeks (he said we will see when - by watching Oscar) but it should help.
Oh and to cap it all he has a heart murmur - a quite bad one but hey its his age. I said to the vet I don't mind the murmur as long as his heart is still beating

Karen
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2005, 03:06 PM
Hope he'll soon feel lots better.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2005, 03:07 PM
Ta DM me too .
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-09-2005, 03:14 PM
poor Oscar hopefully the steriods will make him feel a bit better.
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-09-2005, 03:23 PM
Hopefully it should work well! Sooty has tablets rather than the injection, having done an initial course to bring down the inflammation, next week he goes down to half a tablet every other day but he still seems to be in quite good condition with it.

Watch out for over eating, my old fella went bonkers for his food, apparently the steroids can increase their appetite, but you have to make sure you don't give in to constant demands and feed little and often to keep their ageing systems ticking over! This is particularly important now for Sooty as we have found out he has a lump on his liver, as he needs the food to go through little and often to keep from overloading his liver. Hope Oscar picks up really soon!

Fluffy x
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2005, 06:12 PM
EXCELLENT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smt058 :smt058 :smt058 :smt049 :smt049 :smt049

Oscar has run up the stairs and seems a lot more "discomfort free" surely the steriods can't act that fast can they? but I don't care really he is much more agile already! :smt047
JR Lady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-10-2005, 02:51 AM
Lovely to read that Oscar has responded so well to the steriod treatment, but please be aware that they do have side effects
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2005, 10:08 AM
Hello JR lady thank you I know they have side effects but he is 23 already and has Chronic Renal Faliure (but you'd never know it) and now we discovered he has a heart murmur (kinda bad) but hey he is discomfort/pain free and thats improved his quality of life. He is a good cat - always has been clean, no trouble therefore he deserves a chance at living out his last few months/maybe year or so without discomfort.

Thanks for the information though I am looking into for "homeopathic" preentatives will let you know. But the drupg he is on is called Depo-Medrone and it seems to have had drastic and happy results so far.

Thanks all Karen
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2005, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by Kazz
Hello JR lady thank you I know they have side effects but he is 23 already and has Chronic Renal Faliure (but you'd never know it) and now we discovered he has a heart murmur (kinda bad) but hey he is discomfort/pain free and thats improved his quality of life. He is a good cat - always has been clean, no trouble therefore he deserves a chance at living out his last few months/maybe year or so without discomfort.

Thanks for the information though I am looking into for "homeopathic" preentatives will let you know. But the drupg he is on is called Depo-Medrone and it seems to have had drastic and happy results so far.

Thanks all Karen
Quite agree Kazz - the decision to go on long term steroids is much easier at 23 than 3.
Way to Go Oscar!
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2005, 10:35 AM
Thanks DM - although I agree with JR lady if it were Sal (3) or Tess (15 months) needing steriods I would look for alternatives but at 23 I will gowith the short term quick results they don't have the privilige of time to wait for something to take effect. But I agree steriods are not always the way to go sometimes they are the only way to go. Everyone has to weigh up their own set of circumstances and make a choice on that,

DM he is on the move again - happy and I swear he's considering going out and sorting out the young cats that have moved in around here reminding them he was and still is "King of the road" reclaiming his throne. I may have to step in if he does but he has seen off the siamese from across the street this morning - Ming looked a bit miffed to be ousted but he went all the same - as soon as Oscar appeared where as lately he has being ignoring Oscar. So something must have changed.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >