Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2008, 12:46 PM
hope islas okay...

our dogs got attacked quite often by this stupid black dog,, so i decided to carry a bl00dy big stick,, threat more than anything - but if it ever bit my dogs again i would use it in force

y shouldyou have to walk at a differnt time bcause of some idiot

((hugs)))
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
hows isla doing? just wondering if she got a real scare with the rattle bottle as well as the dog, she may well be double truamatised.
Its sad but there has been a huge increase in such methods since dog behavioural programes were splashed all over the tv showing how the {so called trainers} dealing with aggression.
People who then have an aggressive dog then jump on the idea that rattles and water sprays are the answer to there problem, often making the situation worse,
I just thought about this when reading through the post and poor Isla may be left double shaken up by the rattle bottle.
Hence its never a great idea to try things seen on the tv, often aggression is an individul issue,
others may read things on the net and try them, causing just as much damage,

hugs to you and isla, hope she recovers quickly
Poor Isla and you - hope you are both recovering.

Well said Shona, i think a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and there seems to be rash of people with a little knowledge using confrontational ways to deal with problems that they do not know enough about and do not have the skills to deal with.

There also seems to be a lot of people with aggressive/ill manered dogs who seem to be under the impression that "they are just playing" or "they won't really hurt them!"

Tonks is just 5 months and today we met someone white a muzzled white GSD straining at lead, but, at least they were walking it in a way that ment it couldn't harm other dogs.

However thier other dog flew at Tonks growling, barking and lunging in and out at her all the owners were doing wer saying "walk on shep" (or whatever it was called!)

Tonks was of course very scared and ran into the path of a huge rottie,..............who stepped inbetween her and the other dog and scared it away with its look. He then had a little play with Tonks.............Thank goodness for lovely dogs!
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
There also seems to be a lot of people with aggressive/ill manered dogs who seem to be under the impression that "they are just playing" or "they won't really hurt them!"
I can relate to that! Hope Isla is ok now
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2008, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Poor Isla and you - hope you are both recovering.

Well said Shona, i think a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and there seems to be rash of people with a little knowledge using confrontational ways to deal with problems that they do not know enough about and do not have the skills to deal with.

Tonks is just 5 months and today we met someone white a muzzled white GSD straining at lead, but, at least they were walking it in a way that ment it couldn't harm other dogs.

However thier other dog flew at Tonks growling, barking and lunging in and out at her all the owners were doing wer saying "walk on shep" (or whatever it was called!)

Tonks was of course very scared and ran into the path of a huge rottie,..............who stepped inbetween her and the other dog and scared it away with its look. He then had a little play with Tonks.............Thank goodness for lovely dogs!
awe poor tonks, what a scare she must have gotten, but I have to say,,, BIG UP THE ROTTIE, so nice to read some possitive stuff on the breed,
I have long said, my rotties view adult/large dogs being aggressive towards small/pups/elderly dogs as a bit of a no no, they seem to feel defencive of them and will often act as a canine shield,,,lol, must get them the superdog knickers soon, x glad wee tonks had an instant possitive experiance right after a not so nice one x
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2008, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I can relate to that! Hope Isla is ok now
howay bryans just a gob sh**
ticketyboo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-05-2008, 03:17 PM
Why oh why can't owners keep their dogs on a lead if they're not confident of the dog obeying it's owners commands!...I hate to hear of things like this happening..I do hope your dog isn't too traumatised by her ordeal, poor little thing.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2008, 05:47 PM
howay bryans just a gob sh**
LMAO I didn't mean Bryan!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2008, 05:52 PM
I was thinking about this and wanted to add that i do sympathise with people whose dogs have issues around other dogs and definately think that they need to work on the issues, but do any of these people realise that working on the issues needs to be done in a controlled environment with skilled trainers and other dogs and owners who are well aware of the problems the aggressive dog is having and have given their consent to use their dogs as a dummy dog - so to speak.

Although the dog that we ment today was muzzled and on a lead it was being walked in a park in the city centre, where there were lots of other dogs, people and children. Although it could not actually harm any anyone it was lunging around on the lead and, i feel, practising the bad behaviour and being restrained rather than being trained out of them.

I know Tonks is little now but if she did grow up and became dog aggressive, fingers crossed she won't, i know that i would work really hard at working through these issues ..... i think it is all part of responsible dog ownership.

I'm sure neither of the dogs i saw today were particularly enjoying their walks!

Luckily Tonks is still full of the joys of spring and hope Isla is too.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Shona - Think those superdog knickers should be a must! I said to the owner of the Rottie that i was glad Tonks had met them as she hadn't met one yet and i am trying to get her to meet as many different dogs as possible in order to continue her dog friendliness.

He wasn't surprised at the reaction of the other dogs and said " and they call my dogs devil dogs"
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Firstly just wanted to say thanks for all the well wishes from everyone. Isla doesn't seem too bad, I took her back to the same spot for a walk at a different time the day after and she didn't seem bothered at all. Unfortunately on returning from work tonight she's lame on her right front leg. As far as I was aware the dog only bit her back end, but for some time I had her sat between my legs to protect her butt so the dog may well have bitten her elsewhere. I've given her some Metacam (I know I shouldn't but I only gave her half a dose as I can't bare her wimpering and giving me those sad eyes!) and a tasty treat and she's settled down now. I'll ring the vets in the morning to have a look at her.

The Police did eventually ring me back yesterday and they're coming tomorrow to take a statement! Shock horror!

Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
if they were both off its what they call up here fair game , hope your ok and isla hasn't been too traumitised by it all xx
To be fair though, even if Isla was off lead she was completely under control until the dog attacked her. I'd far rather have my dog attacked off lead than on as at least an off lead dog has the opportunity to flee if needs be - being on lead and being attacked can cause so much more damage to the dog in the long run imo. Even if Isla had been on lead and the dog had come over to attack her I would've let her go immediately.

Originally Posted by Lene View Post
Hope you're both OK after this terrible experience... I hate irresponsible dog owners... I used to carry a short riding whip, when out walking, but never needed to use it... These days dogs have to be on leash by law, except for in leash free areas, but in those areas you still need FULL control over your dog, or you can be prosecuted.

Cheers
Lene
I like the sound of that idea, I have a short horse whip from my riding days, think it would be much better than a stick cos I'd be tempted to use any tool with great force and a stick could kill even a medium sized dog. As much as I hated the inncident, I couldn't live with myself if I'd killed the mutt.

hows isla doing? just wondering if she got a real scare with the rattle bottle as well as the dog, she may well be double truamatised.
Its sad but there has been a huge increase in such methods since dog behavioural programes were splashed all over the tv showing how the {so called trainers} dealing with aggression.
People who then have an aggressive dog then jump on the idea that rattles and water sprays are the answer to there problem, often making the situation worse,
I just thought about this when reading through the post and poor Isla may be left double shaken up by the rattle bottle.
Hence its never a great idea to try things seen on the tv, often aggression is an individul issue,
others may read things on the net and try them, causing just as much damage,

hugs to you and isla, hope she recovers quickly
Thanks for the concern, it seems Isla has picked up a little fear of people. I took her for a 6 mile hike yesterday and on the way back we came across a lovely Golden Retriever. Isla went to say Hello (it was a 20mph dead end road and the GR owner was walking up the middle of it with her dog so they met in the middle of the road!). As I called Isla the GR owner walked over to her dog and raised her voice to get it's attention. Poor Isla didn't half get a fright - something she wouldn't have been bothered by normally, so perhaps something to watch?!

I have to say I just couldn't believe it when this woman came running over with this bl**dy rattle can! The dog was well and truly in attack mode before she even managed to get it out of her bag!

Originally Posted by Chris_Collins View Post
Take a walking stick with you. If such incidents happen like that, firstly use it on the attacking dog. then use it on the owner.

If the police wont do anything, then you should.
Attacking the owner I could live with, the dog not so much!
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >