View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2008, 02:00 PM
hi hun i woould of said that when he started to cry at 3am it was prob for the toilet and i would of thought if you had took him out at 3am then put him back he would of prob gone back to sleep, sounds like you are getting there thou and it does take some time hun, keep at it you will get there.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Our dogs are not allowed upstairs. They have plenty of room donstairs and I like to have upstairs as a hair free zone!!
We were lucky as when we got honey she was bit older, about 14 wks, and she was never upset once about us leaving her.
Like I said earlier we left her with a few treats to munch so she thought it was good when we left, lol!
I am not critisizing anyone elses methods, and maybe I would have been softer if she had cried, but everyone has different ways and do whats right for them.
Sophie*
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-08-2008, 05:59 PM
There is definitley not any room upstairs. As I live with my mum and sister I have to respect their wishes and they've asked for him NOT to come upstairs until he's much older.

I don't sleep that heavily so I think I'll get up every few hours and take him outside for a wee. Although he did go 7 hours without emptying his bladder whilst he was in the crate (despite crying!!)! I must admit I didn't think he'd need a wee. I feel really guilty now but I'm learning. I have a plan for night 3!
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2008, 07:25 AM
hi hope you had a better nite with little one.
Sophie*
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Oscar was brilliant last night!! He cried for about 20 mins when I put him in and then not a peep from him until I went down! Thank you SO much for all the support. I have been really nervous.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Only just caught up with this, that's great news Sophie
Sophie*
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-08-2008, 03:19 PM
I know this is an older thread but I wanted to update incase anyone with a new puppy felt as bad as I did when Oscar first came home. He is crate trained (and about 95% toilet trained !!! ). He has been with us for 2 weeks and is almost 11 weeks old. At night, Oscar goes in his crate and doesn't cry. He doesn't make any noise in the crate until he hears someone come down the stairs in the morning. Even then, it's only because he's excited.

When Oscar is tired in the day, he'll wander into his bed in the crate for a nap. We call it his "bedroom". No crying in the crate at all!!!!! Although sometimes he gets a bit cross and barks for a few mins in the morning when I go up for a shower after breakfast but he's still learning his routine. Success - not only will he go in without crying but he actually likes it and doesn't leap out so we don't have to feel like we're "shutting him in". I'm so glad I stuck with the crate training. I was considering giving it up but it's 100% worth it for Oscar and for us.
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Excellent! sounds like he's settling in really well.. Really pleased for you.
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Hi

Glad to hear your pup is settling a little better now. It's a traumatic experience for a young puppy leaving it's dam and siblings, very frightening for the little pup .... my experience has been that I take new pup to the bedroom. My last pup slept a full 8 hours then soon as he awoke - out to toilet, he was toilet trained within the week as all my dogs were, and when confident and comfortable with their surroundings .... have moved out the bedroom, often of their own accord - no additional stress for anyone in the household including pup. I personally would never leave a young pup on it's own in a strange place after leaving it's dam and siblings. I think if that's what you have to do because of residential arrangements .... then maybe the timing of acquiring a new pup is not what it could be, that is just my opinion. All the best with your new pup!
Sophie*
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
I personally would never leave a young pup on it's own in a strange place after leaving it's dam and siblings. I think if that's what you have to do because of residential arrangements .... then maybe the timing of acquiring a new pup is not what it could be, that is just my opinion.
A lot of people online have said this but Oscar's breeder strongly recommended leaving him downstairs so I went with what she said. I think if he hadn't settled, then I would have been forced to find a way to sleep nearer him. Luckily for me, he was fine after a few days.
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >