Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lizzy tee
New Member!
Female 

10-05-2013, 12:23 PM

My poodle killed a rabbit

My poodle killed a rabbit yesterday. I have never had a dog that has killed anything before, and I found it very unnerving. Now I'm afraid she may hurt a smaller dog when playing. Did she realise exactly what she was doing? Or, did she think the rabbit was some sort of toy, and this was a game? People tell me not to worry and it's instinctive behaviour. Easy for them to say!!
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2013, 12:29 PM
How did it happen, did she pounce on it and frighten it to death or rag it by the throat, I would be more worried if it was the second way, but also know that a lot of dogs catch and kill prey but are fine with other doggy friends x
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Dog is a predator, rabbit is prey. Quite natural. Although most of our pet dogs have the prey drive bred out of them or reduced, some will still follow their insticts.

If you don't want your dog chasing/killing other creatures, teach him to play with you when out on walks and not doing his own thing.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Having mostly had terriers who love to hunt we have been through this time and again, horrible to think they can be so brutal but it doesn't mean they will be nasty with other dogs they are just following instinct.

Funnily (or not depends how you look at it) Mollie our retriever collie cross has also killed but quite accidentally, she rounded up the rabbit and brought it to us not a scratch on it but poor thing had a heart attack and died anyway. So even the softest dog can do it too !
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2013, 03:28 PM
I would think she knew exactly what it was and what she was doing . I don't think small dogs would be in danger .
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-05-2013, 03:36 PM
Why were you letting it chase rabbits in the first place....?

Chances are a dog that chases cats, rabbits, squirrels etc will kill them if they catch up with them.
I cant understand why owners allow it to happen for this very reason.

Personally, I would muzzle it now as I wouldn't trust it around the super small breeds like chihuahuas and the like but you'll know your dog better than anyone.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2013, 03:57 PM
I'm not sure the owner (let) the dog chase a rabbit. An opossum got into Jades back enclosure one time and she grabbed it and shook it to death before we could do anything.

Also, my dogs were always allowed in our front yard off lead with supervision... a rabbit might wander into the yard and if it can't escape the yard before doggy catches it, it's most likely dead. I don't think it's the owners fault.

Jade always scared them into her dog house (the possums climbed in to steal her dog food), and we heard a distinctive type of growling and barking and we knew she had another one cornered.

We were usually able to get her out and tilt the house before she was able to get it, but one time when she saw us she charged in and snatched it and shook it violently by the neck... killing it before we could save it

Jade does fine with my puppy and she'd never hurt him. Prey animals are way different from other dogs. I don't think there will be a problem.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2013, 04:01 PM
IMO it is nonsense to say that because the poodle killed a rabbit - an animal that is prey to dogs, even though they are now domesticated - she should now be kept muzzled or on a lead for ever more in case she kills a small dog like a chihuahua!

Dogs' sense of smell is something like a thousand times greater than our's - I think a poodle or any dog is more than capable of distinguishing between prey and carnivore.

Our dogs are always catching, killing and eating bunnies ... they are pests, as sweet and delightful as they are ... and it is an extremely healthy meal for my boys. Frequently the poor rabbits are in dreadful pain with mxyi, and it is a mercy killing.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by Laurabehjet View Post
Why were you letting it chase rabbits in the first place....?

Chances are a dog that chases cats, rabbits, squirrels etc will kill them if they catch up with them.
I cant understand why owners allow it to happen for this very reason.

Personally, I would muzzle it now as I wouldn't trust it around the super small breeds like chihuahuas and the like but you'll know your dog better than anyone.
Not sure why you think the dog is now going to progress onto small dogs.......

My guess would be that the dog in question managed to catch the rabbit due to the rabbit being ill, most dogs that chase don`t usually catch.

lizzy tee as someone has already pointed out........
Dog is a predator, rabbit is prey. Quite natural behaviour for all dogs, some have higher prey drive than others, and although its not nice to see, your dog was simply being a dog.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Thats what most dogs would do given the chance.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >