Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by Kiara30d View Post
I did take her to puppy training classes, but unfortunately they do training with treats which we have been told isnt a good thing with GSP's.
You were told the biggest crock of *bleep* there. Who on earth told you that nonsense? Does she work well for treats? Do they get her attention? If she does, then use them. Or use the ball if she's ball obsessed. Or a squeaky toy if she loves them. Use whatever the dog loves to train.

Some people think you have to train using punishment and this is especially true of a lot of folks who train dogs for hunting. Don't pay them any mind. I would look into taking further classes at the place you took the puppy classes from. The major key to getting as much out of the class as you can is to work on it every day for a short while with your pup.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2010, 11:21 AM
You are completely right, I do love her so much, and I think that is why I have the problems I have with her. I think I made the biggest mistake when she was a pup and babied her - please dont shout at me, my husband told me I shouldnt be doing it at the time. I now need to learn the balance of loving her but also disciplining her without losing my temper - do they understand when you shout at them?
I will sort out a picture of her so you can see her, she is the most loving dog and I know if I can sort myself out with her then we will have many happy years together.
This will be quite hard at first, but should get easier in time.

Do you have much experience with young children -say toddlers? Your pup will probably act very much like a toddler at times - finding out what she can or can't get away with, pretending not to understand somethings and genuinely not understanding others. If she's been spoilt to start with, you can expect a few temper tantrums while she learns the new rules but if you remain consistent she will soon learn and I have no doubt will respect you more.

I took on a rescue who had clearly been spoilt in her previous home (she weighed twice what she should and didn't know basic manners/obedience). I started out very strict with her - she wasn't allowed on furniture, if she wanted anything from me (e.g. affection, treats, dinner, walks) she had to 'work' for them - nothing complicated, sometimes just a simple sit before I gave her a cuddle. I don't do all of that now, though ocassionally will ask her to do things, just as a reminder.

Try not to shout, if she is being naughty/disobedient, always ask yourself why. Usually its because (1) she doesn't understand what you want and/or (2) its far more fun to carry on with what's she's doing. So you have to make it easy for her to understand what you want and to make it enjoyable for her to do it. Classroom equivelents of gold stars for being good (treats or a game) and the naughty corner when she's bad (giving her 'time out' and just ignoring her). If you find yourself getting frustrated with her, take time out, have a think and then try a different way to approach the problem (and come on here to ask )
Good luck, I'm pleased you do want to keep her and if you are willing to put in the effort, I'm sure she will turn into the dog of your dreams.
Kiara30d
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
You were told the biggest crock of *bleep* there. Who on earth told you that nonsense? Does she work well for treats? Do they get her attention? If she does, then use them. Or use the ball if she's ball obsessed. Or a squeaky toy if she loves them. Use whatever the dog loves to train.

Some people think you have to train using punishment and this is especially true of a lot of folks who train dogs for hunting. Don't pay them any mind. I would look into taking further classes at the place you took the puppy classes from. The major key to getting as much out of the class as you can is to work on it every day for a short while with your pup.
It was the breeder we bought her from that told us not to ever train a GSP with treats as they will never do anything you ask unless you have a treat for them.
Believe me any type of food certainly gets her attention!!
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2010, 12:29 PM
It was the breeder we bought her from that told us not to ever train a GSP with treats as they will never do anything you ask unless you have a treat for them.
*sigh* That's a pretty common misconception bandied about by people who train using punishment. With our training (admittedly not a GSP, but I know people who train gun dogs and bully breeds and terriers the same way), food is used to reward heavily in the beginning. Once the dog knows the command and sits automatically or lays down automatically every time, then you start to fade the treat (treating randomly, and slowly using the treats less and less, switching to real life rewards -- like Dahlia has to sit before I put her leash on and take her out for a walk or car ride). I still reward for tricks as I don't think those are important to know sans treats. But I faded it for important things like walking on a loose leash, sitting, etc.
Kiara30d
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
This will be quite hard at first, but should get easier in time.

Do you have much experience with young children -say toddlers? Your pup will probably act very much like a toddler at times - finding out what she can or can't get away with, pretending not to understand somethings and genuinely not understanding others. If she's been spoilt to start with, you can expect a few temper tantrums while she learns the new rules but if you remain consistent she will soon learn and I have no doubt will respect you more.

I took on a rescue who had clearly been spoilt in her previous home (she weighed twice what she should and didn't know basic manners/obedience). I started out very strict with her - she wasn't allowed on furniture, if she wanted anything from me (e.g. affection, treats, dinner, walks) she had to 'work' for them - nothing complicated, sometimes just a simple sit before I gave her a cuddle. I don't do all of that now, though ocassionally will ask her to do things, just as a reminder.

Try not to shout, if she is being naughty/disobedient, always ask yourself why. Usually its because (1) she doesn't understand what you want and/or (2) its far more fun to carry on with what's she's doing. So you have to make it easy for her to understand what you want and to make it enjoyable for her to do it. Classroom equivelents of gold stars for being good (treats or a game) and the naughty corner when she's bad (giving her 'time out' and just ignoring her). If you find yourself getting frustrated with her, take time out, have a think and then try a different way to approach the problem (and come on here to ask )
Good luck, I'm pleased you do want to keep her and if you are willing to put in the effort, I'm sure she will turn into the dog of your dreams.
No I dont have any experience with children of any ages, although strangely enough today I have tried your suggestion of having "time out". I think I am having a tough time with her as I am off caring for my husband after his operation, and we were given news that he may lose his foot in the future - being a 28 yr old policeman you can imagine he is devastated. I too feel for him but also have the concern of I need to be able to train her better as he loves her to bits.
But the time out worked for us both, I calmed down and she came straight over to me kissed my hand and laid down at my feet!!! what a fantastic result for the first time of trying it! thank you so so so much!x
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Oh dear...If your dog is from the breeder I have in mind then my dog is from the same kennel also. I have no respect for this person and apart from my own very bad experiences with them, have also heard many stories. Of course, it could be somebody completely different!!

Out of curiosity, did the breeder suggest how you should train her? They obviously told you what you shouldnt use but did they suggest what you should try?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2010, 01:25 PM
No I dont have any experience with children of any ages, although strangely enough today I have tried your suggestion of having "time out". I think I am having a tough time with her as I am off caring for my husband after his operation, and we were given news that he may lose his foot in the future - being a 28 yr old policeman you can imagine he is devastated. I too feel for him but also have the concern of I need to be able to train her better as he loves her to bits.
But the time out worked for us both, I calmed down and she came straight over to me kissed my hand and laid down at my feet!!! what a fantastic result for the first time of trying it! thank you so so so much!x
Gosh, I really feel for your situation (and so hope that the doctors are being over pessimistic at the moment re your husband's food).

No-one (well I don't know of anyone!) gets it totally right with their first dog, so don't beat yourself up when you get things wrong, just remember we're always here for you to ask and it doesn't matter how daft the question may seem - we've all asked those kind of questions ourselves at some stage or other.

So glad the time out worked - try not to abuse it though - if it used too often and for too long periods, it will lose its affect. Also, don't always make her go somewhere for the time out (and especially don't use her bed as 'punishment')- if she gets reluctant to do it when she realises what it means, you'll have a battle of wills. Better, at least until you've built your new relationship with her, for you just to leave the room she's in if you want a time out.

With all that is going on in your life, the most important thing just now is to try and make all the training fun - fun for you and fun for her - you will both get so much more out of it.

Do you play any games with her (e.g. 'find it')? I've found games like that great for teaching the dog basic obedience - all mine have learnt the stay command from playing the game - they realise they have to stay where I put them while I go off and hide their toy, so they learned a valuable bit of obedience without 'formal' training

Its also a good game if you want to entertain her but have other things you need to do - you can go and hide a toy and then get on with things while she finds it (though you need to work up slowly to that as she will need encouragement to keep looking at first). If you don't know how to play, just let me know and I'll give you some ideas as to how to start it.
Kiara30d
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-04-2010, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Oh dear...If your dog is from the breeder I have in mind then my dog is from the same kennel also. I have no respect for this person and apart from my own very bad experiences with them, have also heard many stories. Of course, it could be somebody completely different!!

Out of curiosity, did the breeder suggest how you should train her? They obviously told you what you shouldnt use but did they suggest what you should try?
Due to the fact I am very intrigued to know if it is the same kennel that I got mine from, are we allowed to name them on here? Only due to the fact I know of one GSP that came from there and it attacked a Doberman. I only want to know if it is the same one as I sent them an email about the problem the other day in the park and I've heard nothing back from them.
We sent our dog back to the breeder last summer for a week training, without treats. it was a case of ask the dog once to do the command if it doesn't do it force them into it. I said I was scared of hurting my dog and was told it would take a lot for me to hurt her.
Have I been told wrong?
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-04-2010, 01:57 PM
I have been reading through this thread ,and just wanted to say what great advice you have gotten so far.
I know how demoralising it can be when out andabout to see a perfectly well behaved labrador (It's always labs for some reason round here LOL) doing everthing they are asked...and then your dog dashes off like a loon, or does something else embarrasing ! But as others have said, most people have been there at some point. It helps me to remember that when Blela is not behaving too well LOL
With Bella I try to limit the possibilities for her to misbehave...whilst continuing to work on what I know are her problem behaviours. So, for example, she only goes off-lead in certain places and only when she is seeming to be listening well to me. She goes back on lead whenever there are other dogs....until we know it is ok for her to play with the other dog. Her recal can be great...but I don't trust her 100% not to run up to another dog to try to play etc....
Bella was our first dog. She is serioulsy high energy, and has lots of stuff we are working on with her . Somedays things go well, others not so well.I spend a LOT of time and mental and physical energy training her and working with her....but it is SO worth it.
Bella is the best thing that ever happened to me ....and she is sooo worth the effort. And it is so great when you see the progress they aremaking. Stick with it. It will be worth it.
Good luck
Kiara30d
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-04-2010, 01:57 PM
HALI

Yes I do play games with her, albeit it is only find, but as you can imagine I haven't had much time of late to do so, which I feel bad for. Other than that game I am at a loss of what else I can play, especially in the house whilst I am caring for my husband.
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >