Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 06:14 PM

Training Books - just bought one

Called The Loved Dog, The gentle way to teach your dog good manners, and quite honestly good manners is all I've ever asked of my dogs, it's by Tamar Geller with Andrea Cagan. Apparently it says on it that it's a New York Times Bestseller, whether that means anything or not, it caught my eye!

Just wondered if anyone's read it/heard of it/read reviews on it please??? I haven't started it yet, but I'm off on the sofa now with it!
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Noooo not heard of that one, Poppy could do with some good manners, she just come in from her walk Chris didn't take the ball this time coz she focuses on Ben too much, she just had a barking fit at a young shepherd so she barked back, bit of teeth showing and snarling, chris stepped in and stopped it. This is the problem with her all the time. Have a quick nosey through see if it has a chapter on Gobby Border Collies

Elaine xxxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Well, only read a few pages but I like what I'm seeing. She runs a doggy day centre in L.A. for people who leave their dogs home alone all day to amuse themselves, or maybe shut up in a cage in the process, bored to tears, and the owners wonder why they're hyper when they get home and just want them to lie down and stay!!! when dogs are social animals. I totally agree with everything she's written so far, so I'm gonna be busy for the rest of the evening!

I wanted it for the manic jumping up at Dave every night when he comes home, and it's not a "do this, or do that" type of book, she makes it all interesting, she explains why they do the things they do and makes a story out of it. She's also studied wolves OMG we won't go there hey!!!! She's against any kind of force whatsoever, be it shock collars, physical or mental punishment, she rather understands the reasons WHY, which is what it's all about really isn't it!

I'll recycle it when I've finished with it Elaine, and I'm sure there'll be a section on gobby borders as well as hyperactive gsd's!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Never heard of it.

I like anything by Pat Miller, Patricia McConnell, Karen Pryor, Jean Donaldson and Ian Dunbar. Most of their books are well worth a read.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Nope none of those mentioned in this foreword labradork, although she does do a lot of name dropping, but all American peops! The foreword was written by Wayne Pacelli President and COE of the Humane Society of the U.S. in which he states at the end, quote "but Tamar won't tell you how to teach your dog to sit, so much as teach YOU how to inspire your dog to want to sit" and I kinda like that! She's all for teaching dogs our language by way of play methods rather than robotic repeated commands, and again, I also like that!
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 07:17 PM
I have it and read it a long time ago and can't really remember much about it except that she makes everything sound so easy.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 07:46 PM
She trained Oprah Wynfrey's 3 labs, one of which would never come out of the pond without brute force it loved diving under the water blah, blah, blah, so she got the dog out of the pond initially by offering a gold reward treat saying "take it, take it, take it", then she immediately sent it BACK into the water saying "dive, dive, dive" after she'd thrown a silver reward treat in there, and imo that's all so perfect for the dog, it gets to do what it wanted, but it also gets to do what you want when you want by getting out of the pool!

I'm half way through now, so should have read it by bedtime, and if I've learned anything new by the end of it, then £12 isn't a bad price to pay is it!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2009, 06:19 AM
I've heard of it, I believe it' s meant to be fairly good on the whole - not actually read it though

Wys
x
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2009, 06:35 AM
Not one I've heard of. Will be interesting to see if you think it was helpful .
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-06-2009, 07:48 AM
That sounds a really interesting book Helena. My birthday coming up any day now so if anyone asks me what I want I will ask for that.
Don't forget to come on and give a full critique of it either
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >