My Mom's funnier than yours.

Copyright Tom Paxton
Written, recorded, and Printed by Tom Paxton
SOF
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 11:35 AM
I get into it from time to time, tho rare. I do disagree with some things, but often dont post my reply, as I dont feel I'm contributing to anything. personal insults I avoid, as I hate it when they get slung at me, and wouldn't want to cause someone else to feel bad.

I actually see waaayyyyy more to disagree with on other forums. there's one I joined and have made it my personal goal to dispute Cesar methods and dominance theory and offer Clicker training as a substitute... (I seem to be the only one) however as I never attact, and keep it to "here's another option" no one can come back at me with personal attacks.

I wish others would keep it that way... it makes for a better discussion, with facts and opinions offered politely.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Ok, I'll accept that. Your dog is most certainly bigger than mine!
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
I have made this point numerous times, and i will continue to do so, but i still dont expect the usual bunch of people that think condemning the messenger is as useful as condemning the message will evolve from such behaviours any time soon.
I say this because when you point such concepts out, you are usually told you must have sympathy for the animal abuser then....etc etc....ho hum
I just put it down to the modern social ailment of everyone being angry and dogmatic and think cesera.

It does cross over into the real dog world sometimes as well...i lived in one area with an x police dog trainer dog training school. He wasnt completely yank and pull etc, he preferred choke chains and no treats, but if his members didnt use chokers and did use treats, he didnt mind. So a bit of a mixed approach.
Then we had several reward and treat based classes only.
Everyone remembered the policeman's name and what he taught them, not many people remembered the names of the other trainers or much of what went on.
The difference?
The policeman had a superb personality, very very funny and entertaining man whom made everyone laugh and feel at ease in class.
The other ladies tended to tell people off, lecture, tut, frown, huddle in the corner and point at people whom got stressed and did a lead jerk etc.

Is this the point when I'm told "well we arent interested in your justifications for lead jerking and choke chains"???
Thanks for your comments KW, much appreciated & I always view your posts as the voice of reason too.

As for the policeman dog trainer, I suppose this can be viewed as a good or bad thing in that it would be fantastic if his methods were as great as his personality, but a charismatic & influential personality with dangerous ideas & methods can be even more difficult to combat. Look at the problems caused by CM

But this is the way of the world ~ even Hitler managed to convince his followers!

I forget the actual wording but it's along the lines of "if good men do nothing, bad men will conquer" so I can live with the basically kind, good & caring people having off days, getting irritable, misreading posts etc on the basis that over their lifetimes, they will do a lot more good than harm

I suppose what I mean is tolerance & empathy for others, or in the words of the esteemed Forrest Gump(?) "if you can't say nothing nice, don't say nothiing at all".
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
Thanks for your comments KW, much appreciated & I always view your posts as the voice of reason too.

As for the policeman dog trainer, I suppose this can be viewed as a good or bad thing in that it would be fantastic if his methods were as great as his personality, but a charismatic & influential personality with dangerous ideas & methods can be even more difficult to combat. Look at the problems caused by CM

But this is the way of the world ~ even Hitler managed to convince his followers!

I forget the actual wording but it's along the lines of "if good men do nothing, bad men will conquer" so I can live with the basically kind, good & caring people having off days, getting irritable, misreading posts etc on the basis that over their lifetimes, they will do a lot more good than harm

I suppose what I mean is tolerance & empathy for others, or in the words of the esteemed Forrest Gump(?) "if you can't say nothing nice, don't say nothiing at all".
i totally agree, and had the mexican and his superb charismatic people skills in mind when i posted.

which does kind of bring the onus back onto us humane trainers to have the same humane approach to people as well, and to hone our people skills.
Ian Dunbar is a great example of both.

i can also cope with trainers with good dog attitudes having off days, but its not them im referring to
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Can we all agree on "anything ""everything", no, sometimes, maybe!

Are we all dog loves yes, do we see others as less of a dog lover than me/you, because they have different view points, yes /no/sometiems!!

Do we all think we are right and others are wrong, most of the time,

And thats the base of the "arguments" on this and any forum.

To be honest, this thread could be in danger of bordering on self righteousness, there's an element of "I`m one of the nice guys" and its "others" who are bringing the forum down" coming through here.

This forum, is made up of many different characters , some are stronger than others, some shout louder, some are happy to stay in the background, why not just accept it for what it is, a melting pot of individuals ALL with the "right" opinion.

Use the report button if you think someone is over the top, use the ignore button if you dont want to see what someone writes.

But not sure the way this thread is going, is doing anything for building a stronger forum.

That's my tuppence' worth anyway,
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Claire, that gave me a giggle, just what I needed
But you have frightened me now I know your dog is bigger than mine and your Dad louder and tougher than mine. I'm staying out of your way.
Should you be bullying us in this way???

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

Are we all dog loves yes, do we see others as less of a dog lover than me/you, because they have different view points, yes /no/sometiems!!

To be honest, this thread could be in danger of bordering on self righteousness, there's an element of "I`m one of the nice guys" and its "others" who are bringing the forum down" coming through here.

This forum, is made up of many different characters , some are stronger than others, some shout louder, some are happy to stay in the background, why not just accept it for what it is, a melting pot of individuals ALL with the "right" opinion.

Use the report button if you think someone is over the top, use the ignore button if you dont want to see what someone writes.

But not sure the way this thread is going, is doing anything for building a stronger forum.

It is doing good by making us think. It has suggested alternative ways of going about things. This is what members should be doing.
The report button is useful, the ignore button .... well I am too nosey to use this although there has been one member that was driving me nuts and I was forced to use it.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

There is no self righteousness from my side, I can assure you! This was done as a light hearted way of breaking the ice after some VERY heated debates. I wouldnt quote I love my dogs anymore than anyone else does. Thats not what I was trying to say. I was just trying to say it would be nice to agree that we all have a love of dogs and thats why we are here. I certainly dont want it to turn into an attack on other people. Im sorry if you feel otherwise!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
There is no self righteousness from my side, I can assure you! This was done as a light hearted way of breaking the ice after some VERY heated debates. I wouldnt quote I love my dogs anymore than anyone else does. Thats not what I was trying to say. I was just trying to say it would be nice to agree that we all have a love of dogs and thats why we are here. I certainly dont want it to turn into an attack on other people. Im sorry if you feel otherwise!!
I understand your reason for the thread, but as it has already shown in this thread, you will get the element of "its not me" its "the other guy", and thats the self righteousness of it all.

You are never ever going to get everyone agree on any given subject, in real life and in forum life.

There will always be heated debates, always people falling out, and we all love our dogs , all do things differently , have different opinion of dogs/life in general, lets just leave it at that, and not use a thread like this play the "good guy" whilst insinuating others are not (as a moderator pointed out)

Sorry , but I do see this thread differently, that you innocently intended it to be sadly!
Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >