Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SarahM29
New Member!
Female 

29-01-2017, 05:36 AM

Female spay change in behavior and urinating inside

We purchased a 1 1/2 year old female cocker spaniel off Craigslist about 4 months ago. She took to our family very quickly and has been my little sidekick every day since we brought her home. She's mostly inside so we made the decision to have her spayed. It's been three days since her surgery and today she has showed strange behavior. She won't come when I call her name and she acts very timid with her tail tucked in between her legs. She has also started urinating in the house immediately after she comes inside after a good amount of time being outside. Our Veterinarian isn't open tomorrow but I will be calling the following day to see what he suggests. I'm worried about her. Any information is appreciated.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2017, 06:20 AM
She is more than likely still sore after surgery. Does she have many stitches? She could also have a urine infection. Don't get cross with her. Just be calm around her. She may have thought she had done something wrong for being sent away in her mind by going to the vet. Give some boiled water to drink and maybe some honey until you see the vet again.
mirandashell
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-01-2017, 11:41 AM
Obviously the boiled water should be cold when given to her. I know you know this but ... just saying to be sure.
SarahM29
New Member!
Female 

29-01-2017, 02:51 PM
I'm sure she is still sore m. We are managing her pain with Tramadol. I'm not quite sure how many stitches she has but they are metal and look very uncomfortable. Since the day after she came home she has been eating small portions of chicken and brown rice three times a day. The first two days she still seemed the same just in a lot of pain. I slept with her for two nights to keep an eye on her and anytime she napped she made sure to be next to me. So I am not sure why her behavior changed on the third day. We have been very calm with her and overly loving. Even during/after her accidents.
mirandashell
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-01-2017, 03:20 PM
It may just be stress after 3 days of pain and discomfort.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2017, 06:42 AM
Goodness me why did your vet use metal stitches? No wonder she hurts. Hope they take them out soon.
Oldgal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-02-2017, 09:54 PM
Never even heard of metal stitches!!

Our vets here use internal dissolvable stitches, and external stitches to be removed 10 days after the op.
Is the wound red or inflamed? If you are at all worried, I wouldn't even hesitate to ring the vet for advice as if she is in pain or has developed Cystitis or another infection, she should definitely not be left without veterinary help a.s.a.p.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-02-2017, 10:25 PM
She sounds like she's in pain, when you say metal stitches do you mean staples? I'd be back at the vets with her to be honest as she isn't acting normally.