View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 06:13 PM
I've also said you've brought from breeders, you have got it into your head I support people I don't agree with by buying from those who do, ergo you've brought animals from people you obviously agree with, so must agree with those you don't, your thoughts, not mine, I don't think it makes sense at all, but for me and rabbits you somehow things it does.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I've also said you've brought from breeders, you have got it into your head I support people I don't agree with by buying from those who do, ergo you've brought animals from people you obviously agree with, so must agree with those you don't, your thoughts, not mine, I don't think it makes sense at all, but for me and rabbits you somehow things it does.
As I said to you a Rabbit is very different to me than a dog. I do have a Rabbit here, but I do not see him as a dog. They are not regulated like dogs in breeding etc.. so legally are not classed the same anyway. Do I agree with the culling of surplus rabbits? yes, I actually would support the culling of many animals that are surplus.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by WhichPets View Post
Not all pet shops are good but equally not all are terrible.

Where I work - yes I have an understanding of rabbits, I have the right to refuse a sale (and do). They must have a good sized cage and all appropriate equipment and demostrate they understand the care and seem good owners. I will not let people hold a rabbit unless they intend to buy as it is stressful for them. We quarantine all rabbits that come in to give them time to settle in. Rabbits rarely stay longer than a week or 2, as we do not get in more than we can sell. Any rabbits that are unwell receive medical treatment. Our store makes a loss on the animals we sell once you factor in treatment, bedding, care etc.. So yes, I think this gives them a better life than putting them to sleep because they are mis-marked.

Also Chaz - just as a note, the PAH support adoption frequently gets in English rabbits, and will rehome to places with dogs providing you are sensible and have proper safe accommodation for the rabbit.
Rabbit rehome also has English rabbits/Crosses http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/searc...mit=++Search++
Does your pet shop adhere to RWAF guidelines re the size of accomodation? Do they sell 6ft hutches? Home check? Sorry but imo pet shops are a huge part of the problem as they encourage impulse buying, do not sell accomodation large enough to house a rabbit to name but a few and do you take back the rabbits you sell when the new owner becomes bored of them? The PAH adoption centre by us is usually stocked full of their stock that has gone beyond cute. Not intended at all as a personal comment just observations from a rescue point of view about pet shops
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 06:56 PM
To me I have as much respect for all animals to care about the breeding of all of them the same, whether dog, horse, rabbit or hamster, to me all have needs that need to be met by the person breeding them, and if I hand over any cash to anyone I'm saying well done to them for breeding a animal I want in my family, and coz I think they have good ethics, so I will only support the ones I agree with when buying a animal, but when buying from someone I agree with I'm not agreeing with people who have breeding ethics I don't agree with.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
Does your pet shop adhere to RWAF guidelines re the size of accomodation? Do they sell 6ft hutches? Home check? Sorry but imo pet shops are a huge part of the problem as they encourage impulse buying, do not sell accomodation large enough to house a rabbit to name but a few and do you take back the rabbits you sell when the new owner becomes bored of them? The PAH adoption centre by us is usually stocked full of their stock that has gone beyond cute. Not intended at all as a personal comment just observations from a rescue point of view about pet shops
Yes to all of the above as far as I know with exception to a home check which to be honest when you can monitor the size of cage I'm not sure is always necessary.. I didnt get a home check when I rescued a rabbit or purchased a puppy from a reputable breeder.

Yes I agree re impulse purchases but I do always try to make sure people have done their research first.
Also yes support adoption is often taken up with some older stock. If for some reason an animal has been treated they are usually put in to adoption rather than sold due to age and potential health issues. Equally if they fight with others they have a better chance of being adopted than sold - I do not see a problem with this as long as people know the reason and it is not preventing the store taking in actual rescues..

Whilst I do not love pet shops selling rabbits etc I dont think a responsible pet shop is the worst thing and I still think giving a rabbit a chance is better than putting them to sleep.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Lovely that the pet shop you work for are doing their best. Where do their babies come from? Do you have standards for the breeders too?
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 07:05 PM
Lovely that the pet shop you work for are doing their best. Where do their babies come from? Do you have standards for the breeders too?
They do have a breeder but I will be honest I am not sure about the standards and this is the main part I disagree with. However I merely work there and do not run it so I do the best I can in my situation
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-10-2011, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by WhichPets View Post
They do have a breeder but I will be honest I am not sure about the standards and this is the main part I disagree with. However I merely work there and do not run it so I do the best I can in my situation
I do understand that and you can only do the best with the bit you are responsible for I have an ex breeder bun and have had her for over a year, for the first time this weekend she came to me for some nose rubs. She had been kept in a 2ft hutch unable to stand up with no hay, food or water. This is why it is an issue close to my heart. I'd love you to ask the question about their breeder (only of course if it won't cost you your job ) Would be nice to know that the whole chain was good.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 07:33 PM
I do understand that and you can only do the best with the bit you are responsible for I have an ex breeder bun and have had her for over a year, for the first time this weekend she came to me for some nose rubs. She had been kept in a 2ft hutch unable to stand up with no hay, food or water. This is why it is an issue close to my heart. I'd love you to ask the question about their breeder (only of course if it won't cost you your job ) Would be nice to know that the whole chain was good.
Aw that is just so sad my female rescue is so similar - so nervous she breathes so heavily when you approach. Despite my efforts she's still very shy but she's happy living with another rabbit in a nice big hutch.

I do know the name of the breeder but I don't want to upset myself looking in to it anymore as I cannot imagine anyone that breeds for profit and sells to a pet store is particularly reputable. I know they do get checked etc but I'm not sure how high standards are...
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Its funny though, coz thinking back when I was at college I wanted a English back then but ended up not getting one, I got so desperate that I ended up asking a pet shop, to see if he knew any breeders, and was told he didn't, and they wouldn't sell any in the shop either as they were not as 'fashionable' as lops, in local rescue most of the rabbits are lops, pet bred ones, but lops all the same, theres two that look like Madam H, but I can say are not tri-colour English even though the coats simalar, and theirs one who looks like a giant papillion, or at least a cross, a big black male called Guiness, the rabbit who bit me, and if I had the room for such a large rabbit I would have him in a heart beat, grumpy or not , but idk whether people would think its selfish, but I don't want English to replace Lops as the fashionable breed/type, espcially after seeing the state of so many rabbits teeth as people have thought more about a quick bitbof cash, and not the animals they would produce
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >